Gold Rush to get aviation theme at Dreamworld?

themeparkaddict

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of Tailspin moving actually, compared to other major ride moves the simplified structure would definitely help make it more attractive from a cost standpoint.

Move the Model T Fords in and retheme Buzzsaw and you could almost have an early 20th century themed space.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MickeyD said:

For those on here that can be bothered searching topics, this whole Aviation thing was 1st dreamed up as a suggestion by one of you when that Terrible i-ride Artwork was released. Fast forward a couple of weeks to today and someone else has evidently stolen the idea declaring that they 'heard a Staff member say the new area would be Aviation themed..'

Might have been mine originally, but I could very well have taken someone else's one-liner and run with it too.

Its funny how many staff members tell guests things that are very similar to the ideas shared here... its almost as if the ride ops read these boards and then spread the rumors...

35 minutes ago, AlexB said:

I could very well have taken someone else's one-liner and run with it too.

I don't understand what I have done wrong. I only suggested the idea and said that a ride-op told me about it. Never before did I say this was definitely going to happen. Of course all info is sketchy at this point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, themeparkaddict said:

I don't understand what I have done wrong. I only suggested the idea and said that a ride-op told me about it. Never before did I say this was definitely going to happen. Of course all info is sketchy at this point.

Looks like you must have dared to post something AlexB disagrees with. How stupid of you!

(That's the nature of this forum, I'm afraid. Like it or lump it!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Slick said:

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of Tailspin moving actually, compared to other major ride moves the simplified structure would definitely help make it more attractive from a cost standpoint.

Move the Model T Fords in and retheme Buzzsaw and you could almost have an early 20th century themed space.

Sure but how does an uninspired shopping mall style facade mix with early 20th Century Aviation?

Answer: It doesn't. 

For what it's worth I think the i-ride facade is pretty much the template of what Ardent also want for their other i-ride locations.

• Like 3

I think MickeyD is on the money there with his last statement. Clearly there is a reason that Ardent have gone this route, and it wouldn't have been the only option that was presented to them. This design can clearly be used in other locations, and I believe was designed like this so when used outside in other locations, the familiarity kicks in for the parks guests. 

• Like 1

Given the design it would fit in better at the new Westfield. Almost a perfect fit if there was some foresight to do a downtown district between the new shopping centre and Dreamworld. Combine it with something like an iFly, proper IMAX theatre and some US chain casual dining and they could have been onto something. The fact the new Westfield is around a month away from opening and there still isn't any sign of a link between the park and the new precinct is just madness. Major opportunity on the doorstep and as usual they have their heads in the sand.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, themeparkaddict said:

18 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Looks like you must have dared to post something AlexB disagrees with. How stupid of you!

(That's the nature of this forum, I'm afraid. Like it or lump it!)

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

I did not say a word in criticism of themeparkaddict. I never said he did anything wrong. If people actually READ things before slagging off, they'd note that I quoted Mickey, suggesting the aviation theme possibly originated here.

All I said was describing how the theme could work aviation wise. I said it could have been me who raised it initially, but i may also have taken someone else's suggestion and expanded on it too.

In no way did I direct anything at themeparkaddict, nor was it in any way a disagreement with anyone.

So TPA - I don't think anyone was suggesting you did anything wrong - you shared info given to you by a staff member. We all know that staff info shared publicly isn't always reliable, and Mickey rightly pointed out that the aviation suggestion had been raised on Parkz prior to you hearing that.

As usual, @pushbutton sticks his giant nose into something that has nothing to do with him, reads it wrong, and stands on his high horse over some fanciful imagination of whats in his head, without any check or balance with regard to reality.

Since nobody else can be bothered doing the legwork - here's how it went down:

TheMagician first suggested the rendering of i-ride looked like an airport.

On 01/09/2018 at 3:58 PM, themagician said:

That definitely isn't what I was expecting for the facade to look like, but I do like it. Very modern, will bring new life to the parks entry and will for sure stand out and attract people towards it. Hopefully they do pull it off though and doesnt look half assed.

While it does have a shopping centre feel, it could also be seen as an airport styled building, which could be the look they were going for. Some marketing has said 'a new attraction taking off in 2018'. So it is fitting.

Pushbutton quickly backed that viewpoint up

On 01/09/2018 at 6:30 PM, pushbutton said:

A matter of personal opinion I suppose. Looks inspired by airport design to me. 

Glubbo then wondered how they would transition that into the previously-goldrushed land:

On 01/09/2018 at 7:42 PM, Glubbo said:

Looking at the left of that image, how do you transition that into Goldrush? Is this an indicator of a re-theme of Goldrush/Blue Lagoon?

Pushbutton doubled down on the previous suggestion - that the i-ride theme influence the land:

On 01/09/2018 at 8:03 PM, pushbutton said:

Still no real indication of what the new theme will be though (unless the whole area is themed around the "i-ride")

Cheski also wondered, as did Glubbo, how they would blend the area around i-ride:

On 01/09/2018 at 10:33 PM, cheski said:

I am curious also how they'll blend it in to the existing structures around it (including main street).

Which brought us to my 'fuller picture' suggestion on how the whole land could be themed to aviation:

On 12/09/2018 at 3:02 PM, AlexB said:

it doesn't fit the overall area it currently sits in, but it may well be an indication of the direction they're going. (all jokes aside).

Retheming goldrush into some sort of aviation space would be a far cry from a 'river ride' that killed people. Buzzsaw could easily retheme as the "red baron's barrel roll" - and it wouldn't even need much of a paint job!

I'm visualising DCA's Soarin' area of Grizzly Peak. nondescript sheds can be hidden by 'hangar' theming. Paint the ground with random runway \ taxiway \ apron markings. Naturally don't install Grizzly River Rapids! The area lends itself well to many other aviation inspired attractions (such a shame Tailspin is at the other end of the street), but the area would open with a coaster, and a blockbuster 'simulator' style attraction. If you proceed with ToT removal (see other thread) GD would also connect well to the new theme, with plenty of space for outlets, and several flats which could be accomplished at minimal cost.

the front building for i-ride could have the 'sidewalk gutter' painted red \ white \ yellow etc, with PA announcements "the white zone is for loading and unloading..." etc.

The only difficulty would be the fairy shop - as it would need a retheme also... however perhaps it might be time to bring back the helicopter tours (which would be perfectly suited), provided the helipad is still usable given the buzzsaw sitting next to it.

This actually sounds really good to me, and has me excited to see if they go in this direction. Of course, it is Ardent, so I fully expect to be disappointed - but i'd like to be (pleasantly) surprised!

To which Pushbutton agreed:

On 12/09/2018 at 3:11 PM, pushbutton said:

I like the sound of all those ideas. Just hoping it will be a comprehensive themed precinct where everything fits in well with the new theme. 

Like you I'm cautiously hopeful! 

Themeparkaddict's info from the staff member came to us a full week later...

On 19/09/2018 at 1:42 PM, themeparkaddict said:

I have been told by a ride op (not that they are always reliable) that Gold Rush is being re-themed to an airport/flying theme to match the i-Ride theme, and Buzzsaw will be renamed.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AlexB said:

As usual, @pushbutton sticks his giant nose into something that has nothing to do with him,

Mwahahaha I blocked him months ago and life hasn't been better.😂

15 hours ago, T-bone said:

This design can clearly be used in other locations, and I believe was designed like this so when used outside in other locations, the familiarity kicks in for the parks guests. 

I'm trying to work out what's the point of building a new drawcard attraction in DW and building the same attraction in a Melbourne shopping mall?

"Dad I want visit DW and ride the I-Ride"

"Don't be stupid Timmy you can ride it at Chadstone Shopping Centre".

Makes one think DW is for sale. 

• Like 2

On 20/09/2018 at 5:34 PM, Rivals said:

If that was true, tail spin could sit in the mine ride’s old spot and the new dar ride could go over where the river rapids use to be

Tail spin - up against the back wall of the i-Ride? Not the best spot. IF the Aviation theme happens, and IF they moved Tailspin, it would have to be in open space, with at most trees nearby, no walls.