Where do you get coaster news?

Coaster Hipster

If you try to follow what's going on on the coaster scene, where do your get your info and updates from? Was curious to know if we share the same sources, and maybe discover a few more insightful sites :)

Personally, I usually get new info on social media posts (CoasterForce, rcdb, the amazing VH Coasters for Asian stuff, and also official park/manufacturers pages) but also like to check the forums (CF mostly) to keep track and get a more in-depth look at the news. Forums are also great for discussion and insights on a broader perspective, much more so than the comparatively forums. I loved following the construction of DC Rivals here for example! 

Even though I do not have the opportunity or think immediately of going there, also discovered blooloop which delivers great coaster-related content with a more professional and industry-based angle.

What's yours? :)

• Like 1

For updates on the latest Rollercoasters and frankly anything new in the Theme Park Universe, try this one:

Screamscape.com

For all things Disney USA and nearby Parks Universal, Six Flags etc,  it's pretty hard to go past:

miceage.com / micechat.com

A much smaller site, presented in blog and being French based features a more global genre,  lately these guys are delivering Theme Park News ahead of the big guns:

Disneyandmore.com

For all things Theme Park in Australia, this is the only place to go😉

Parkz.com.au

• Like 2

The r/rollercoasters and coaster bot discords are where i get most of my international news. I'd say I get my Australian news from here but sometimes the guys on these discord servers are faster to learn about aussie stuff than I am.

There's a really great group of people on there who I recently went on a coaster trip around the UK meeting. A few odd balls are annoying but where doesn't have that on the internet?

If anyone wants to join, here's the invites:

r/rollercoasters: https://discord.gg/zJf3Gz

CoasterBot: https://discord.gg/2Ez9M9

Feel free to @PooDiePie (me) if you join. People are always having really in depth discussions on coasters and parks, or about anything really. They love hearing the Australian view on things, if you've ridden dc rivals they'll all be jealous.

• Like 1

Great thread! Lately I’ve been spending a lot of time watching various theme park Youtube channels for my park fix. I’m a big fan of Tim Tracker, Attractions Show/Attractions Magazine, Theme Park Worldwide, In The Loop. I particularly like the tour vlogs where they literally just walk around a particular park and point everything out and talk about what’s new etc.

Edited by GoGoBoy
  • Like 3

On 22/09/2018 at 9:05 PM, GoGoBoy said:

Great thread! Lately I’ve been spending a lot of time watching various theme park Youtube channels for my park fix. I’m a big fan of Tim Tracker, Attractions Show/Attractions Magazine, Theme Park Worldwide, In The Loop. I particularly like the tour vlogs where they literally just walk around a particular park and point everything out and talk about what’s new etc.

Agree 100% Youtube is a great place to keep up to date with all things amusement parks.

@GoGoBoy I rate TimTracker highly. He has some great content and its regular and  enjoyable to watch.

Theme Park Worldwide has some good content and some amazing trips and vlogs but is constantly hampered by the host of the show Shaun Pembroke and his mates being some of the most annoying cockwombles that I have ever seen. Still worth a view and a laugh until the nauseousness takes over.

Theme Park Review still do great videos- they are always worth a watch.

Some channels that have not been mentioned that are extremely worthwhile checking out are Theme Park Crazy and Expedition Theme Park. Both have excellent content that is a little different to the run of the mill vlogs and reviews. Expedition Theme Park in particular has some excellent videos on  the history of a variety of parks and is called Expedition Extinct. Highly recommended. Theme Park Crazy  has some excellent Top 10 lists and he is also extremely prolific.

Defunctland is also another great channel for the history of parks , especially Disney attractions.

Offhand Disney is one of the best resources for all things of course Disney related.

CoasterBot is also a brilliant channel with some excellent "What Is?" videos that relate to anything from how coasters actually work, manufacturers , theme parks themselves or individual rides.

Xtreme Rides is a great channel with a particular slant for European parks and rides- well worth a view as well.

ParkChat Live , whilst great in being Australian in content , is let down somewhat by the hosts. The new guy is , IMHO, very ordinary to watch and the actual host is all over the place in his delivery. Its actually a chore to get through a whole episode now, especially since James has left- he made the show far more palatable. Still, it does have its high points and is worth checking out every now and then. Needs work though to refine the experience.

For websites, as has been mentioned, I cannot go past Screamscape. It has been around for years and years and is still , in my mind , the number one source of all news and rumours for amusement park news worldwide. 

For all things coaster related, you cannot beat RCDB. The bible for any enthusiast.

For Aussie content, then of course our home page Parkz ,is a great asset. Interestingly enough, many international sites do piggy back content from Parkz pages to add to their own international news. I know Screamscape has done this on any number of occasions and this really shows how important Parkz is to the Australian amusement park industry and its standing internationally.

Great thread!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jobe said:

Theme Park Review still do great videos- they are always worth a watch.

...on mute.

5 hours ago, Jobe said:

especially since James has left- he made the show far more palatable.

@Jdude95's accolades keep rolling in. When is the network going to give him his own spin-off?

5 hours ago, Jobe said:

cannot go past Screamscape. It has been around for years and years and

years and years and years and years and years.

I went hunting the scape for Wonderland content that I knew existed but it looks to have been removed now. I did however find a 2002 reference to a screamscape wonderland update on themeparkinsider - with our own @Richard Wilson debating the finer points of whether Wonderland closed...

Wonderland Sydney has been pulling well in excess of 1 million people per year since 1985 when it opened. Somehow I don't know how Wonderland goes, in under a year, from completely rebranding and greatly improving the park, to shutting up shop.

Similarly, a decision like this would never be made overnight, like you've made it out to. They wouldn't in the space of a few months, change their plans from moving all the former Little Wonder's Land rides into the park, to closing the park.

At Australia's most popular park, Australia's largest park, they wouldn't just decide to close shop. I doubt highly that ends aren't meeting, especially with the numbers of people that visit the park on a yearly basis. If such a decision were made, it'd be made YEARS in advance, if this is happening, then it would happen in 2005 or 2006, but I doubt that highly. Mr Galbraith is an intelligent man, who is seasoned in the theme park industry, under his leadership, the park has only further strengthened itself, not the contrary, which is what you're asking us to believe.

Missed it by a year Rich...

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/news/response.cfm?ID=297

For those curious individuals, the intelligent seasoned CEO, Stephen Galbraith, is now CEO of Ekka.

On topic, I follow a lot of YouTube channels to kill time on things disney - DisneyDan, TPMvids, Yesterworld etc - but I don't really use them to keep up to speed - Parkz is my primary source of park related happenings, and RCDB as mentioned - the bible for coasters.