Beware of the Bawd Brothers

2 hours ago, pushbutton said:

I'm pretty sure it's a train to 99% of riders!

Yeah, but it's the 1% you've got to appease. 

You think theme park fans are a bit nuts. Go over to the railpage forums and refer to it as a real train and see what response you get. Train fans (gunzels) are a whole different breed (possibly even species!). 🤣

1 hour ago, red dragin said:

Yeah, but it's the 1% you've got to appease. 

I don't think so - I think everyone is going to always yearn to step into a bygone era of yesteryear and nostalgia, and the proof is in the fact that people are still just as fanatical about Disneyland today as they were when it was "new" decades ago. And shock horror, part of that continued success is caring deeply about the guest's sense of immersion,  however subconscious and minor the detail is. People know the difference between a living, breathing steam train and a John Deere diesel engine, and to say folks don't is why Ardent is in the predicament they're in - really caring about experience instead of holding the customer in contempt would go a long, long, way here.

John Longhurst got this, and it's why Dreamworld was such a hit. Now we've got a FlyOver America from Mall of America facade industrial park facade rubbing up against Victorian-style facades, a diesel train, a totally disjointed Ocean Parade filled with trolls, car theming and an exhibition hall.... is it any wonder they're still struggling?

Edited by Slick
  • Like 2

Most of the hardcore train nuts though red never liked the Baldwin or Perry, too “americanised” as they would say,.

Push, in a sense yes it is a train, just like a coaster train is a train, just running on different rails. What we have here is a diesel John Deere tractor (that sounds like it too) pulling carriages around a theme park, and doing it rather poorly too. That thing has done more damage in its short lifespan than what the steam engines ever did in their 30 something years of operation at the park.

I get it, the park wanted to dieselise for whatever reason (cough B Tan) but what they replced the steam engines with adversely affects the performance of the attraction, with the fact it is frequently “broken”, full because they are only running 1 or 2 carriages, or heck even in the way it looks. I saw it today, and it really looks like shit, even by its standards! If they just to go diesel, they should have looked at a company who had built trains before like Severn Lamb (http://www.severn-lamb.com/) who produce some very nice “diesel” locos, or you know just looked at a better firing system which would have saved them money.

On the reliability side of things, When the park had the steam engines running it was very rare that a day went by without the train running, only really stopping when track work was being done, these days its about as reliable as my Italian made watch.

I could go on about the current situation, but it will just fall on deaf ears. So I’ll leave on this note, You know how Joz mentions that the train sits at the station for 8 minutes? Well back when the steam engines ran it used to sit for closer to 12 mins at Central Park (the timetable was faster then, but atleast they could meet the timetable!) which was enough time to do a full lap of the park with all stops if no one was boarding on and off.

Sadly these days with the John Deere they wouldn’t be able to keep to schedule without the rest break at Central Park station, which at times today was only 2 to 3 mins.

Edited by T-bone
  • Like 1

You mean the Caboose? The caboose is always on the back of the train, it’s where the Guard stands, it’s where the power for the train is generated, and also where the wheel chairs and large prams can be loaded. 

Now if you tell me train has 3 red and yellow carriages and the caboose, then yes you are right, that’s a full train, however if they are running 2 red and yellow carriages and the caboose then no nothing has changed.

That's the Motz, and i'm pretty sure its always there, given that it generates the power for carriage braking, and is where the PA spiel is conducted from.

The Motz barely seats 12 and will do little for capacity - it does however make a huge difference to wheelchair and stroller bound patrons.

The issue is the passenger carriages - which are all alike.

24 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

In stark contrast to the very funny announcements referred to earlier in this thread, a couple of the staff who do the announcements on the train really need some training! 

I'm on the train now and the guy sounds utterly bored by everything at Dreamworld!

Did you change your post because you couldn't find the supervisor?

16 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Is it really worth noting if an operator is bored or excited. Who cares, that happens in every business. So what

So in that position the only reason for the announcements is to assist with the guest experience, which obviously should be exciting and fun.

I do wonder if you were actually serious about the comment you made but there's the rather obvious answer anyway. 

5 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Have you met Push?

Have you met me?

2 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

So in that position the only reason for the announcements is to assist with the guest experience, which obviously should be exciting and fun.

I do wonder if you were actually serious about the comment you made but there's the rather obvious answer anyway. 

That's a robot, not a human.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...