No reopening dates for BuzzSaw, Hot Wheels Side Winder and Tower of terror

dylan_oregan

Hot Wheels is the most painful coaster I have ever ridden, well perhaps apart from the former Thunderbolt on that same site. I remember on one of the transitions actually feeling my neck crack badly and being in pain for some time afterwards. It was plain scary. I would rip that thing out if I was DW and put in something cheap (because it’s Ardent we’re talking about) but appealing and rideable.

Edited by GoGoBoy

When I rode Hot Wheels earlier this year, I honestly thought the coaster wasn't all that bad, sure it has bad transitions but it was better than when the old trains were running, Cyclone was god awful in those days. I personally think Hot Wheels should get replaced with a WWW expansion, perhaps a new slide tower or new pool complex, because the coaster is intertwined with WWW to the extent that it is difficult to make use of the land to build a direct replacement because of those slide complexes interacting with the coaster. When you take into account the land the coaster takes up which is occupied by WWW in some sort, there really isn't much land to build a new coaster on the site.

If the replacement is a coaster I definitely agree that an RMC Raptor is a good choice, or a Gerstlauer Infinity coaster if they want something a little bit bigger. Right now though Hot Wheels isn't that massive of a priority and Dreamworld should rip out Tower of Terror, convert GD to Falcon's Fury gondolas and finish their planned lazy river & dark ride attractions before Hot Wheels goes.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX
  • Like 2

This might be far fetched but say when BuzzSaw reopens it has a lot of downtime and issues i think they should rip it out and replace it with a sky rocket II. Also With Tower Of Terror II they just need to renovate it, Give it a new control system, New LIM’s and maybe Lap Bar Cars And It Would Be A Really Good Ride.

13 hours ago, Rivals said:

This might be far fetched but say when BuzzSaw reopens it has a lot of downtime and issues i think they should rip it out and replace it with a sky rocket II. Also With Tower Of Terror II they just need to renovate it, Give it a new control system, New LIM’s and maybe Lap Bar Cars And It Would Be A Really Good Ride.

Far fetched, yes, BuzzSaw is 8 years old. ToT is almost 22 years old. If either two of must be ripped out, based on reliability, it should be ToT.

Having the 3 main roller-coasters down at the same time is a bit odd, particularly with not a lot of chatter from park or enthusiasts. Have folks simply switched off and don't care much about what's happening at Dreamworld anymore? I dunno, would be a shame if that were the case, but here we are.

What i'd like to see done better is even just the communication (I know, classic Slick trope, blah blah comms & marketing etc. etc.) because particularly during school holidays families are planning entire holidays around Dreamworld and I imagine it'd be frustrating in terms of planning and also quite worrying in terms of safety (constantly pushing back opening dates doesn't instil confidence), and a lot more could be done to alleviate both IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JStarr1 said:

I know they were doing test runs on Buzzsaw last week so thats gotta count for something right?

The problem is testing has now stopped according to a couple of friends over the last few days. They were an inch away from opening the ride by changing the open hours, but we are back to square one again. Must be more repairs needed

5 hours ago, themeparkaddict said:

The problem is testing has now stopped according to a couple of friends over the last few days. They were an inch away from opening the ride by changing the open hours, but we are back to square one again. Must be more repairs needed

Or maybe it’s something to do with manufacturer? Or even QLD safety? Anything is possible... I just don’t think they’d have it closed for so long without repairing it properly (if that was the case of course) before doing test runs, it just wouldn’t make sense really 🤷🏼‍♂️

On 30/09/2018 at 9:58 AM, themagician said:

Well considering Hot Wheels just had a refurbishment... I doubt it

Pretty sure everyone said that about Sea Viper too.

On 30/09/2018 at 11:23 PM, XxMrYoshixX said:

I personally think Hot Wheels should get replaced with a WWW expansion, perhaps a new slide tower or new pool complex, because the coaster is intertwined with WWW to the extent that it is difficult to make use of the land to build a direct replacement because of those slide complexes interacting with the coaster. When you take into account the land the coaster takes up which is occupied by WWW in some sort, there really isn't much land to build a new coaster on the site.

I'm inclined to agree here. This corner of ocean parade is really terrible. The entrance to the coaster is down a ramp you almost don't see until you're directly in front of it, thanks to the Brock building. It is not the "Grand entrance" you expect a full size coaster, and clearly a signature of the park seen from the highway, to have.

WWW needs some space to expand - the former thunderbolt site is clearly already earmarked for some development, but the lazy river is likely to take up a lot of that space, leaving the park again landlocked for further development. We all know waterpark attractions are much cheaper to build, and utilising the HWSW space for additional slides would really bring WWW to the front of 'waterparks' on the gold coast. WnW is screaming for a new attraction, and WWW would nail them to the wall if they brought some new slide towers to that space. It would also allow them to better present the land transition from Ocean Parade to WWW, as the current gate is woeful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, red dragin said:

A Franna crane, a boom lift and a petrol demolition saw will make quick work of the section through the water park. I don't think it will be moving to a new home when the time comes to remove it.

The existing station building and spiral queue building could be re-used for slide towers.

You're not wrong in terms of the demolition itself, but many of the old arrow \ vekoma style are welded together, and therefore a demo saw is usually how they pull the track apart - Demon received the same treatment out of Wonderland (it's second home) and we still saw it move to two additional parks (Alabama and India) after removal. I daresay, they may be able to flog Big Cyclone Sidewinder to someone else yet.

I mean at least they aren’t taking any risks and are keeping the rides safe. But tot and hwsw are old and have aged and now require so much attention in terms of maintenance. That’s why Movie World’s attractions run better and with less maintenance (exception sdsc, wwf, aa) Dreamworld just need to sell I think unless they have enough money to replace all their old and outdated rides (wipeout, hwsw, tot to name a few)