No reopening dates for BuzzSaw, Hot Wheels Side Winder and Tower of terror

dylan_oregan

9 hours ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

But tot and hwsw are old and have aged and now require so much attention in terms of maintenance.

HWSW is an Arrow Dynamics design. You know - the company that designed the world's first tubular steel track on Matterhorn? (still operating) Or the first Hypercoaster - Magnum XL-200? (still operating) Or the first 4th dimension coaster, X2? (still operating).

How does your 'old and aged' theory apply?

ToT is one of only two reverse freefall coasters listed on RCDB, but the other - Superman, Escape from Krypton continues to operate, and I think as @Slick has pointed out recently, the fact that SFMM took the opportunity to upgrade the control system when they refurbished the ride in 2010 is probably what keeps it running so well.

Neither of these attractions at Dreamworld, based on their cousins from the same manufacturer, should require this much maintenance. The maintenance issues therefore should not be attributed to age, but rather, poor standards maintained by the park and their unwillingness to upgrade older attractions when the opportunity presents itself, instead preferring to let them run into the ground, whilst building the next spin-and-spew.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, AlexB said:

How does your 'old and aged' theory apply?

Let's not forget we are also dealing with WATERSLIDES undergoing extended maintenance, which have been opened for just over 12 years and should be operating fine. It is ridiculous to think that super tubes should need 5 months of maintenance, and The RIP should need 2.5 months.

Wipeout broke down yesterday and is now closed until further notice.

image.thumb.png.1c1a1b1b102a18db1593a0ceacd005c9.png

We are now down to just 5 thrill rides operating. 

1 hour ago, Slick said:

Does anyone know the actual time these rides have been down for now? I believe the start dates on the maintenance page aren't accurate. I'd almost dare say there's a history of screencaps on some Parkz threads that might be a clue.

Since the maintenance page update yesterday the start dates appear accurate, Buzzsaw closed since 23rd March, Hot Wheels since 24 Aug, and TOT since 28 June. Normally they try and edit the start dates like they did last year with Wipeout however these dates do appear correct.

The Buzzsaw message has also been removed from the website and all rides under maintenance have had this pop-up added:

image.png.7bcb42730f0c7f63504635b58760917d.png

Edited by themeparkaddict

4 hours ago, themagician said:

AA is the parks oldest major ride, and when it’s down for maintenance, it rarely ever gets pushed back. Maybe it comes down to the rides lifespan of maintenance and care from the park, rather than doing a halfassed job (if that’s the case with DW and TOT and HWSW)

AA has a systematic approach to maintenance, with the spare bogies being rebuilt throughout the time the ride is running. 

But, let's not forget Green Lantern was out for extended down time (and was inches away from killing people, we have seemed to have forgotten that fact). I think Doomsday Destroyer also had some unscheduled down time recently. Scooby has looked like crap for a long time, and we where constantly harping on about how the effects didn't work in that prior to the stripping of the themeing too. Movie World isn't perfect, it's just the boot is into Dreamworld at the moment on this forum at the moment (like it was into Movie World a few months back).

Edited by red dragin
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, red dragin said:

AA has a systematic approach to , with the spare bogies being rebuilt throughout the time the ride is running. 

But, let's not forget Green Lantern was out for extended down time (and was inches away from killing people, we have seemed to have forgotten that fact). I think Doomsday Destroyer also had some unscheduled down time recently. Scooby has looked like crap for a long time, and we where constantly harping on about how the effects didn't work in that prior to the stripping of the themeing too. Movie World isn't perfect, it's just the boot is into Dreamworld at the moment on this forum at the moment (like it was into Movie World a few months back).

MW is not even close to Mozart on how bad DW maintenance is.  MW might have had a couple of extended periods.  DW is a junkyard of rides.   When is the last time a DW coaster had a repaint @red dragin?

1 hour ago, Skeeta said:

MW is not even close to Mozart on how bad DW maintenance is.  MW might have had a couple of extended periods.  DW is a junkyard of rides.   When is the last time a DW coaster had a repaint @red dragin?

Never claimed they where as bad as Dreamworld.

My point was more that Movie World isn't the standard that we should be holding everyone else to, and reminding people that Village where nearly in the position themselves that Ardent are in now. Look back at the photos of the Green Lantern carriage teetering on the track, with a sole tie down strap and a brave firefighter potentially being all that stopped that carriage falling to the ground.

The same reviews would have occurred, the same rides would have been shut down (TRRR may not have happened), DC Rivals probably would not have been built and both companies would be struggling along, with Ardent probably doing better out of the two.

Edited by red dragin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, red dragin said:

The same reviews would have occurred, the same rides would have been shut down (TRRR may not have happened), DC Rivals probably would not have been built and both companies would be struggling along, with Ardent probably doing better out of the two.

No! No! No! again totally different situations.

Rapids was 100% DW's fault.

GL was 100% S&S's fault.

• Like 1

The difference I guess is that what happened with Green Lantern wasn't due to poor staff training, poor engineering standards, poor maintenance practices and poor health and safety culture. If heaven forbid the Green Lantern incident resulted in an inquest, S&S would've been found almost entirely at fault. The public backlash would still have been there but defenders would have more voice saying it's not their fault.

MW have also had rides down without a reopening date. GL WWF and Doomsday come to mind, and I'll even throw in Surfrider right now.  Thats about 3 or 4 years worth of stuff ups.

DW have 4 rides without a reopening date at the same time right now. The story was the same last year with multiple ride closures with extended unplanned downtime. MW is by no means saintly but given where both parks are at I know which rides I'd feel better about going on

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

No! No! No! again totally different situations.

Rapids was 100% DW's fault.

GL was 100% S&S's fault.

The members of this board understand that, but the general public don't. 

I lost count of the amount of times I had to explain that WWF is a very different beast to TRRR around my office.

Just now, joz said:

MW is by no means saintly but given where both parks are at I know which rides I'd feel better about going on

The same. We have a OnePass but haven't even thought about Dreamworld passes.

I think they'd regain some public confidence from actually deciding to get rid of Wipeout, ToT and HWSW.  The rides have had a good lifespan and put them out to pasture.

I don't even think they need to build anything right away to replace them although they do need another attraction by late 2019/early 2020 after iRide.  I think they could even get away with a basic wild mouse.  Family friendly with safe attractions.  It is their strength and Village's kind of weakness at the moment.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, joz said:

Thats about 3 or 4 years worth of stuff ups.

Stuff ups?  If you x-ray a track during maintenance and find a problem you're not going to reopen the ride until it's fixed.  Considering how long the rides were down at DW during the review period every ride should be running like new.

To add to my belief this has more to do with bad management than to a broken ride is HWSW was due to go down a few months ago but the maintenance was postponed.  A ride that DW management believed was fine to prolong its in service time now all of a sudden is to f-up for people to ride.

1.  People have been riding a broken ride

Or

2.   DW don’t give a poo poo and have it closed for cost cutting.

2 hours ago, red dragin said:

Look back at the photos of the Green Lantern carriage teetering on the track, with a sole tie down strap and a brave firefighter potentially being all that stopped that carriage falling to the ground.

To add to the rebuttals that have already been thrown your way - the brave firefighter, and the sole tie down strap weren't present at the time of the incident. This equipment stabilised the car, to ensure safety during the evacuation operation - however the car itself was self supporting prior to the arrival of the fire brigade, which, even with lights and sirens, is still easily 5 minutes away from being in a position to attach a tie down strap.

Yes, the car could well have completely derailed, fallen to the ground and killed those people, but don't credit their survival, and the survival of the park and it's reputation on a strap and a firefighter being "all that stopped it" as clearly the derailed wheel assemblies jamming up the track clearly played a part too.

@Slick I did some digging for you...

HWSW originally closed 23/7

TOT2 originally closed 23/7, but was only operating for a couple of weeks before this, as it had just come out of maintenance then, which went for several months (Approximately closing around April)

BuzzSaw closed April 2 (Originally scheduled to reopen April 16).

Edited by themagician
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Skeeta said:

1.  People have been riding a broken ride

Or

2.   DW don’t give a poo poo and have it closed for cost cutting.

Dreamworld would be making a huge profit with tower closed beacuase 1 ride can power a school for 6 hours. Hot wheels on the other hand would cost very little to run. Also it used to go down for maintenance for the entire of term 4 each year. 

32 minutes ago, Rivals said:

I think if anything they will just give tower of terror a new control system.

You could be very close to the answer👍 Giant drop was down for ages at the start of the year for no reason. What did it get? A new control system😀

I am sure they don’t need another rats nest situation 🤣

1 hour ago, Rivals said:

I think if anything they will just give tower of terror a new control system

TOT Needed a new control system almost 10 years ago, they opted not to then. It would cost a lot more to do it now given the current state of the ride.

1 hour ago, Rivals said:

if they really want to they can make HWSW Smoother with new track from verkoma.

They what? You realise it would be cheaper to buy and install a new off the shelf coaster? The cost of removing the old track, getting new track manufactured and then installed would be ridiculous. If they are going to the effort of re-tracking the ride, they may as well also rebuild the supports... and the station... and replace it with a new ride.

• Like 4