Kaeson Youth Park - North Korea

wikiverse

13 hours ago, Slick said:

Awesome stuff! Out of curiosity, which tour group did you go through for your North Korea trip and how long was your tour?

I booked with Young Pioneer Tours and did a special 10 day tour specifically for National Day.  There is no tour where the amusement parks are part of the itinerary, but our Korean tour guide was a little bit awesome and we basically nagged her to take us one night before dinner.  We really only had about an hour or so there since it's not an 'official' thing and all activities have to be cleared with the government.  So it was something special I thought I would share.

There are actually four amusement parks in Pyongyang. 

Mangyongdae Funfair, Taesongsan Funfair, and Kaeson Youth Park all date from the eighties – though the latter was levelled and rebuilt with a collection of Zamperla rides around 2010. The flying coaster you saw is a Zamperla Volare – not a type that's generally known for its comfort, but the one in the DPRK is remarkably good; I enjoyed it.

Rungna People's Pleasure Ground opened in 2012 – after my trip. It has a Reverchon mouse.

If anyone wants to do the parks I'd recommend going through Koryo Tours; in 2011 they were able to set up a private trip for me and a friend that took in the (then) three parks and all the major tourist sites in a week.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Noxegon said:

There are actually four amusement parks in Pyongyang. 

Mangyongdae Funfair, Taesongsan Funfair, and Kaeson Youth Park all date from the eighties – though the latter was levelled and rebuilt with a collection of Zamperla rides around 2010. The flying coaster you saw is a Zamperla Volare – not a type that's generally known for its comfort, but the one in the DPRK is remarkably good; I enjoyed it.

Rungna People's Pleasure Ground opened in 2012 – after my trip. It has a Reverchon mouse.

If anyone wants to do the parks I'd recommend going through Koryo Tours; in 2011 they were able to set up a private trip for me and a friend that took in the (then) three parks and all the major tourist sites in a week.

There's other major tourist sites as well as the theme parks? Wow!

Why wouldn’t there be? Every country has things to see. 

Here are the photos from my trip:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150275910020915.379351.672525914&type=1&l=57064d93cb

The one thing I didn’t get to see was the Mass Games, which by all accounts is the most elaborate show in the world. I’d recommend watching a British documentary on the subject, which is very well made:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0456012/