Zip line wet n wild??

dylan_oregan

34 minutes ago, Boyden Hingston-Muir said:

Why are people being an ass to Dylan? Rather then telling him to "Unsubscribe" why don't you advise him on how to do things better? He is obviously keen to learn and ask questions. Is that not what this forum is for? 

Maybe browse more forums before parkz and understand the basic standard of a forum which isn’t flooding previously discussed topics. It happens very frequently so not everyone wants to guide every new member on what to do and what not to do. It’s up to you more than other members to learn how to use the forum. And you can see there are friendly members that do encourage new members like @pushbutton.

Edited by Gold Coast Amusement Force

36 minutes ago, Boyden Hingston-Muir said:

Why are people being an ass to Dylan? Rather then telling him to "Unsubscribe" why don't you advise him on how to do things better? He is obviously keen to learn and ask questions. Is that not what this forum is for? 

I thought so!

Take no notice of those lacking manners and respect around here Dylan, and you can also block and report them if you want. 

Edited by pushbutton
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Maybe browse more forums before parkz and understand the basic standard of a forum which isn’t flooding previously discussed topics. It happens very frequently so not everyone wants to guide every new member on what to do and what not to do. It’s up to you more than other members to learn how to use the forum. And you can see there are friendly members that do encourage new members like @pushbutton.

While I do understand how that could get frustrating, I think some people need to realize that they do not own this forum. This is a public platform where people of different backgrounds come together with a common interest. There needs to be respect between every member, or this site will turn into a place where no-one wants to comment on anything because they are afraid they will get shot down.

We want to grow our hobby, not push people away. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Boyden Hingston-Muir said:

While I do understand how that could get frustrating, I think some people need to realize that they do not own this forum. This is a public platform where people of different backgrounds come together with a common interest. There needs to be respect between every member, or this site will turn into a place where no-one wants to comment on anything because they are afraid they will get shot down.

Your nothing but correct my friend. I joined the forum and posted questionable stuff and remember not being guided but discouraged from posting. BUT, there are nice members on this forum like @pushbutton @themagician @Santa07 And others. However I agree strongly that people will be discouraged from posting and contributing when if you do not agree with the consensus than you are wrong and cannot have an opinion.

• Like 1

Fair to say I think enthusiasts often forget we're having fun talking about having fun.

I don't think the formula for a good community is hard -  we're always happy to see curious, interested and passionate folks on here sharing their thoughts and ideas for other like-minded folk to read and reply to. Conversely, I'm personally not happy to see people bullying/trolling/backseat moderating just as much as i'm not happy to see members use this as a dumping ground for their stream of consciousness to exist.

You get my drift? Chillout, have a beer, use the search function, have fun. 

Edited by Slick
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Boyden Hingston-Muir said:

Settle down sunshine.  If you were old enough to be out of high school you'd know it's actually a reference to replying 'Unsubscribe' to mailing lists (and sometimes SMS services) in order to stop that content being sent to you.

38 minutes ago, Boyden Hingston-Muir said:

This is a public platform

Nope.  It's privately owned.

This whole thing ain't that hard.  Dismissing anyone who doesn't agree with you as a "hater" as seems to be the custom shows an astonishing lack of self-awareness.  Luckily the forum software actually provides a fairly handy way of getting an idea of how you're travelling in terms of your contribution - compare the number in green under your group (members) to the number of posts you've made immediately below it.  The better the ratio between the two is usually a good indication of how well you're contributing.  If you're finding your ratio isn't so good, perhaps instead of bitching that people won't accept you without any work whatsoever on your own flaws you do a bit of work on that?

A really good way of doing so is taking a moment to consider that the forum isn't going anywhere, nor is the new post function - there is nothing to be gained by rushing to create a new post each time that little Rolodex in your mind comes to a stop.  Instead, you'll notice the post/reply buttons are actually one of the smallest parts of on-screen real estate - it's a handy tip from the UI gods to suggest that the amount of reading you do should absolutely outweigh the amount of writing you do.

As someone entering a new community or a new discussion the onus is absolutely on you to get the temperature of the room before you open your mouth - work out who is there, how they speak to each other and what they speak about.  If you were old enough to you wouldn't walk into a pub where a bunch of people are gathered discussing something and immediately (and obnoxiously) jump into the conversation, particularly if you had no idea what they were talking about to begin with.

You want to be here?  Great, welcome.  Read as much as you want - the archives go back quite some way and there's some gold in there.  You're absolutely welcome to all of it - and you don't even really need to do anything special in order to do that without annoying anyone.  It's when you want to leave your mark by posting that you need to actually make some sort of effort, and that's the minimum expectation.  So long as you can cope with that, I'm confident everyone here will cut you all the slack you need.

Side-note: This is not a new problem, nor is it specific to this community.  Elsewhere they are called vampires (see: http://slash7.com/2006/12/22/vampires/)

• Like 3

I'm fully aware its privately owned, but it exists on the internet which by its very nature is public. Oh, and i'm well out of high school. And am old enough to enjoy a pint at the pub just like anyone else.

I think I've made my views quite clear, so i'm gonna be the bigger man and leave it at that. I don't want to bombard Dylan's topic any longer. Hopefully we can work together as a community to find a answer to Dylan's great question!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boyden Hingston-Muir said:

but it exists on the internet which by its very nature is public

No, sorry buddy.  You said some people need to realise they don't own this forum and that it's a public forum.  This forum is in fact owned by somebody (it ain't me), and he calls the shots regardless of whether the public can access it (irrelevant).

3 minutes ago, Boyden Hingston-Muir said:

Oh, and i'm well out of high school

Excellent.  Please, by all means conduct yourself as such in the content that you post.

3 minutes ago, Boyden Hingston-Muir said:

Hopefully we can work together as a community to find a answer to Dylan's great question!!

So here's where you can account for yourself.  What do you think makes this particular question a "great question"?  Look at the history here - of the threads he has started (which is a stupid amount given his overall post count), many are already locked, and those that remain are rooted in completely incorrect information or infeasible hypothesis.  So what's different here?

Here's an idea for you if you're keen to look after the kid - don't sit here and virtue signal to us about working together as a community to find the answer to his question.  Instead, get off your own arse and go and find the last time this same question was asked (it's been asked a number of times) and see what the conclusion was.  You have the power!

1 hour ago, webslave said:

Settle down sunshine.  If you were old enough to be out of high school you'd know it's actually a reference to replying 'Unsubscribe' to mailing lists (and sometimes SMS services) in order to stop that content being sent to you.

Nope.  It's privately owned.

This whole thing ain't that hard.  Dismissing anyone who doesn't agree with you as a "hater" as seems to be the custom shows an astonishing lack of self-awareness.  Luckily the forum software actually provides a fairly handy way of getting an idea of how you're travelling in terms of your contribution - compare the number in green under your group (members) to the number of posts you've made immediately below it.  The better the ratio between the two is usually a good indication of how well you're contributing.  If you're finding your ratio isn't so good, perhaps instead of bitching that people won't accept you without any work whatsoever on your own flaws you do a bit of work on that?

A really good way of doing so is taking a moment to consider that the forum isn't going anywhere, nor is the new post function - there is nothing to be gained by rushing to create a new post each time that little Rolodex in your mind comes to a stop.  Instead, you'll notice the post/reply buttons are actually one of the smallest parts of on-screen real estate - it's a handy tip from the UI gods to suggest that the amount of reading you do should absolutely outweigh the amount of writing you do.

As someone entering a new community or a new discussion the onus is absolutely on you to get the temperature of the room before you open your mouth - work out who is there, how they speak to each other and what they speak about.  If you were old enough to you wouldn't walk into a pub where a bunch of people are gathered discussing something and immediately (and obnoxiously) jump into the conversation, particularly if you had no idea what they were talking about to begin with.

You want to be here?  Great, welcome.  Read as much as you want - the archives go back quite some way and there's some gold in there.  You're absolutely welcome to all of it - and you don't even really need to do anything special in order to do that without annoying anyone.  It's when you want to leave your mark by posting that you need to actually make some sort of effort, and that's the minimum expectation.  So long as you can cope with that, I'm confident everyone here will cut you all the slack you need.

Side-note: This is not a new problem, nor is it specific to this community.  Elsewhere they are called vampires (see: http://slash7.com/2006/12/22/vampires/)

Or just, you know, ask a goddamm question without having to go through all that.

Kind of like having a conversation with real people in real life! 

9 hours ago, Boyden Hingston-Muir said:

There needs to be respect between every member, or this site will turn into a place where no-one wants to comment on anything because they are afraid they will get shot down.

Very good points @Boyden Hingston-Muir - however that includes newer members respecting those that have been here and discussed those topics already. Its pretty much an expectation of any forum - particularly one that has run as long as this one, that newer members would search for existing topics before posting the same thing again.

We (speaking as a member of this community, not a leader) don't want to dissuade newer members from posting, but in order to grow our hobby, and not push people away, we also need to be mindful that (if i can use a television analogy) nobody wants to watch re-runs over and over... and if the forums become a regurgitation of topics - it becomes tiresome for regular contributors who tend to fade into the background.

6 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Or just, you know, ask a goddamm question without having to go through all that.

Kind of like having a conversation with real people in real life! 

But it's not. Straight out of the guidelines:

The Parkz Forums are not a strictly real time discussion environment such as chat rooms. Here you have time to properly construct your thoughts into full and meaningful sentences.

In a conversation, a newcomer to the conversation can ask questions to 'get up to speed' - that's because the conversation doesn't have a stenographer taking notes of what is said. In a forum, those conversations are recorded - meaning that newcomers can absolutely catch up on previously discussed topics without having to interrupt the current flow of conversation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

Very good points @Boyden Hingston-Muir - however that includes newer members respecting those that have been here and discussed those topics already. Its pretty much an expectation of any forum - particularly one that has run as long as this one, that newer members would search for existing topics before posting the same thing again.

We (speaking as a member of this community, not a leader) don't want to dissuade newer members from posting, but in order to grow our hobby, and not push people away, we also need to be mindful that (if i can use a television analogy) nobody wants to watch re-runs over and over... and if the forums become a regurgitation of topics - it becomes tiresome for regular contributors who tend to fade into the background.

But it's not. Straight out of the guidelines:

In a conversation, a newcomer to the conversation can ask questions to 'get up to speed' - that's because the conversation doesn't have a stenographer taking notes of what is said. In a forum, those conversations are recorded - meaning that newcomers can absolutely catch up on previously discussed topics without having to interrupt the current flow of conversation.

Agreed, but there are ways of telling someone that courteously. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pushbutton said:

Agreed, but there are ways of telling someone that courteously. 

Agreed. I guess we should all consider "Would I speak to that person like that, face to face" before posting. Especially given as from the guidelines The Parkz Forums are not a strictly real time discussion environment such as chat rooms. Here you have time to properly construct your thoughts into full and meaningful sentences.

• Like 2