Sea World lighthouse - Star Flyer replacement

Jamberoo Fan

'Rescue Point Lighthouse' Demolition & "Star Flyer" Addition  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Sea World's planned demolition of 'Rescue Point Lighthouse'?

• Great and replace it with a "Star Flyer"!
    • Great but replace it with something different than a "Star Flyer".
    • Sad but I prefer a "Star Flyer" in 'Rescue Point Lighthouse''s place.
    • Terrible - Keep it! It's irreplaceable!
  2. 2. How do you feel about Sea World's planned "Star Flyer" and where should it be located in Sea World?

• Great - 'Rescue Point Lighthouse' site
    • Great - 'Viking's Revenge Flume Ride' site
    • Great - Other site in Sea World
    • Terrible - 'Rescue Point Lighthouse' site
    • Terrible - 'Viking's Revenge Flume Ride' site
    • Terrible - Other site in Sea World
  3. 3. Is all this a good move to improve Sea World's future?

• Yes - The park is now back how it was in it's prime!
    • Yes - It's a good start but just not quite there yet.
    • Yes - It's a good start but a long way to go.
    • No - A "Star Flyer" is not a ride suited for Sea World.
    • No - The negative effects of demolishing 'Rescue Point Lighthouse' on Sea World outweigh any positive effects of anything else Sea World does in the future.
    • No - What were they thinking?

The thing I’ve found that enthusiasts tend to love about woodies is the rickety nature of the support structure. Given the current climate that doesn’t sound ideal from a PR perspective.

Id like to see a California Screaming style ride - steel track on a trussed support giving it the Older style appearance, particularly if the board walk goes ahead.

On 01/11/2018 at 2:23 PM, pin142 said:

Can confirm the same for Wonder Woman Golden Lasso although it uses a non-stop station and would require more staff than the California option for that reason.

I have heard that Railblazer is (oddly enough) more efficient, as the continuous loading system has its own set of challenges. Still, either option is probably the right scale and capacity for Sea World.

1 hour ago, themagician said:

Or that’s the start of the demolition 

The Lighthouse building has already been completely removed - only the top remains sitting in tact on the ground of the adjacent reclaimed land.

A transportable temporary/smaller model would be disappointing. If true. I would rather hold out optimism until proven otherwise. Still, they had a tempory rollercoaster (wild wave/later thrillseeker) at the Park for years and it was probably a lot more fun than what eventually replaced it. 

Edited by MickeyD

I'm hoping it will be like Thrillseeker/Wild Wave Rollercoaster - a transportable ride in a 'permanent' mode. It sounds too odd for SW otherwise. A transportable model would cost less to 'build' than a permanent model after all but if the "Star Flyer" is going to be removed in, say, March, the demolition of Rescue Point Lighthouse hopefully would have had a better reason (like the brick structure was no longer sound etc.). If they demolished it just for a temporary ride, that's a silly reason as they could have just placed the temporary ride on the former Sea Viper site.

Reading Funtime's Mobile StarFlyer webpage, there are 3 possible heights:

• 38 metres
  • 54 metres
  • 80 metres (in production at the time of the webpage's publication, which might have been 2015)

The 38 & 54 metre versions can be set up within 8 hours so maybe expect a Mobile StarFlyer, if that is the "Star Flyer", to appear suddenly particularly if the 80 metre version can also be set up within a day if production of it has finished. I'm guessing it will be set-up in mid-December for operation from Boxing Day if approved from Gold Coast City Council.

18 hours ago, MickeyD said:

The Lighthouse building has already been completely removed - only the top remains sitting in tact on the ground of the adjacent reclaimed land.

Maybe they plan to still have a lighthouse - just not where it is currently? Maybe it will be utilised as part of the "Star Flyer"'s theming? Like I said before, maybe also the brick structure of the Lighthouse is unsound hence the need to demolish it and they've kept the non-brick top for future use.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

If the model is a travelling version, it'll either be FJF Amusement's Sky Flyer (Zamperla Vertical Swing), which is just under 35 Metres or Joyland's Space Jam (AK Rides Star Flyer) which is 40 Metres exactly, and is new to the country this year from the UK. Pretty disappointing IMO. 

Image result for sky flyer

Disappointing if they don’t go with a permanent model, unless there are future plans for the site. Though when I think about it, the park is really in need of some non-kiddie ride capacity and most guests won’t care or notice if it’s a portable model. Hopefully they can at least theme it up in line with the rest of the park.

If temporary I'd be happy with that 40 metre Space jam one as seen at Luna Park Melb. If anything, a few well presented transportable rides could have done wonders for the Park over the last few ultra quiet years.

With a little luck the ride will prove so popular that they decide to move forward with a larger and permanent installation

• Like 1

@HussRainbow87 So is it a ride currently on the traveling circuit; where seaworld has made a deal with the owner/operator to run the ride at the park for a certain period of time?

Or did they buy a new 'Sky Flyer' type ride, that so happens to be a portable model (doesn't need to be anchored/concreted into the ground)?

Edited by Luke

Alright, I've done some sleuthing (based on Huss's comments haha) and I've discovered that the ride coming to Seaworld will most likely be 'Sky High' Star Flyer, manufactured by the Mardi Gras company out of the UK. It was owned by Michael Wallis Jnr and was sold to Australia sometime in July of this year. Unsure of who the Australian owner/operator is.

Source: http://www.fun-fairs.co.uk/topic/90156-michael-walliss-startflyer-nfasl10/?tab=comments#comment-344337

1 hour ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

Alright, I've done some sleuthing (based on Huss's comments haha) and I've discovered that the ride coming to Seaworld will most likely be 'Sky High' Star Flyer, manufactured by the Mardi Gras company out of the UK. It was owned by Michael Wallis Jnr and was sold to Australia sometime in July of this year. Unsure of who the Australian owner/operator is.

Source: http://www.fun-fairs.co.uk/topic/90156-michael-walliss-startflyer-nfasl10/?tab=comments#comment-344337

Haha nice. But wrong. 

The ride isn’t from the UK

1 hour ago, djrappa said:

Ummm well I have to say that’s Fkn disgraceful if this park is chucking in a portable carny ride. Is it bloody Luna Park?

Thats embarrassing!!

I’d say it’s more a move to see how an attraction of this type would go before investing the money and to be honest Sea World Does a pretty good job at being embarrassing. Hopefully in the coming years more money can be thrown into it and invest in some new rides. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djrappa said:

Yeah cause buying a carni ride to see how it goes first is totally the practice of the top theme parks around the world 

I do agree, but as long as the ride doesn't look to 'temporary' (ride sitting on the flatbed of a truck type of thing) I think it should be okay with some complementary theming.

On 01/11/2018 at 8:28 AM, pushbutton said:

Are most people incredibly thick, or have most people just never been anywhere other than the Gold Coast?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you exhibit A^

On 02/11/2018 at 12:34 AM, Jobe said:

Surfrider should have been put in Seaworld in the first place IMHO. I still think it would be a good option to move it. A you say, small compact ride , small footprint but provides a good thrill. It wold be a good move and could help alleviate SeaWorld's lack of ride issue.....

I think Surfrider, at the time it was installed, would have been a good fit for Sea World to replace the pirate ship. At this stage, with the park lacking on almost every front, installing Surfrider would be a mistake - management would consider that they had given SW sufficient attention to coast for a year or two, and do nothing else for the park.

SurfRider's capacity is horrible, and without other, more prominent anchor attractions to spread the load, the 'new kid on the spit' would have massive lines and end up causing more negativity towards the park...

• Like 1