pushbutton

Dreamworld for sale - in Monopoly game

16 posts in this topic

Can't find a quick way to copy the relevant inage on my phone right now, but on the Dreamworld Facebook page they're saying "Dreamworld is hot property", in reference to the new Gold Coast version of the Monopoly game.Ā 

I hope I'm reading too much into this! šŸ˜€

On 02/11/2018 at 3:51 PM, Tim Dasco said:

Surely they wouldnā€™t have to pay. When they did perthopoly a few years ago Adventure World got on it without paying.

Ā 

On 02/11/2018 at 4:11 PM, Brad2912 said:

100% paid spots on the board... or ā€œmarketing investmentsā€ so to speakĀ 

The board its self would be paid for as an advertisement, but whoever is paying for the board would have say on who goes where.

The city of Perth probably paid for Adventure World and the same may have happened here as well.

Don't Hasbro run social media marketing to get people to vote for what should be where?

Seems to be a lot of differing opinions - can anyone point to something concrete that confirms whether the spots are paid or no? Seems a bit shitty to me to make a fortune from all these places paying to be on the board, and then charging everyone who buys that edition of the game...

(ETA: seems like a lot of these specialty versions are actually charity fundraisers...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_licensed_and_localized_editions_of_Monopoly:_Oceania

Ā 

1 hour ago, webslave said:

Well of course they would. You could say that they have a, err, Monopoly on the production of the game really so they can charge however much they want!

• Haha 1

Canā€™t find an article now but there was last week when it released and it was onĀ local news up here.Ā 

PropertiesĀ on the board that represent an entity/businessĀ are paid for, and the higher the profile (colour choice) the more it costs.Ā 

Iā€™m sureĀ GC Tourism would have veto power over certain content (Im sure Hollywood Showgirls would have put forward a great business case and had plenty of cash to splash...)

a certain number would be assigned by GC Tourism such as Mt TamborineĀ 

Ā 

I must admit it does kind of diminish the point if they're paid for. Instead of train stations you've got GC Cabs, The Tram and Surfside busses. Instead of streets its an eclectic mix business locations Ā community space and football stadiums. Kind of misses the point butĀ you know, at least they sold their advertising space.