Dreamworld / WWW Update

1 hour ago, Jdude95 said:

Gold rush was still there, just behind a fence. Now it's just a big old flattened pile of WWW dirt.

Yeah, i guess i see where you were coming from.

40 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

Let's debate was it flattened or rolled for the next week, for fun.

Well, I'm sure compactors were used too... but i think for the layperson without a roadworks or construction background, land that wasn't, and now is, relatively flat, could be described as flattened, regardless of the tools or machines used to accomplish it.

Just now, AlexB said:

Yeah, i guess i see where you were coming from.

Well, I'm sure compactors were used too... but i think for the layperson without a roadworks or construction background, land that wasn't, and now is, relatively flat, could be described as flattened, regardless of the tools or machines used to accomplish it.

See, I would never call @Jdude95a lay person.  Compactors?  DW weren't flattening boxes.  

One of the two new screens at the front of the park was in use this morning, promoting oneof the indigenous shows you can see in Coroberree. 

Certainly helps add atmosphere at the front of the park! 

20181214_101651.jpg

The above Was immediately followed by a song and dance mix and the Wiggles on a temporary stage at the front of Main Street, a large crowd gathered to watch and all the action was also shown on the screen. 

20181214_103122.jpg

The above Was immediately followed by a song and dance mix and the Wiggles on a temporary stage at the front of Main Street, a large crowd gathered to watch and all the action was also shown on the screen. 

1544747695672-146867566.jpg

15447477434081631872817.jpg

• Like 2

Dreamworld still have a Gold Rush Country sign even though most of it is gone.

20181218_135138.thumb.jpg.d54788a4dc2fd5c8e6ecd185055600f6.jpg

Also you can't walk on this path due to construction. "It isn't safe" yet staff are allowed and there is a construction barrier. 

20181218_135653.thumb.jpg.bb65643bc329660602ae028c63ab4339.jpg

Also this train gate almost hit guest when the train stops way before at the station.

20181218_140446.thumb.jpg.974098650e0af847cbae7897f6fd68d9.jpg

20181218_140704.thumb.jpg.0cc172b699aa7bb837e4dfe3edb4cb87.jpg

Exhibition Centre out of place in a theme park 

20181218_141658.thumb.jpg.8a4fa6a32f6c8cba3b9776a6ffcd2321.jpg

Lazy river

20181218_142125.thumb.jpg.a44e6adc655b353fd593b5a8691170ad.jpg

Edited by Gary86
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Gary86 said:

Also this train gate almost hit guest when the train stops way before at the station.

20181218_140446.thumb.jpg.974098650e0af847cbae7897f6fd68d9.jpg

20181218_140704.thumb.jpg.0cc172b699aa7bb837e4dfe3edb4cb87.jpg

Exhibition Centre out of place in a theme park 

20181218_141658.thumb.jpg.8a4fa6a32f6c8cba3b9776a6ffcd2321.jpg

1. Well maybe the guest should use the 2 ears he was given... the warning bell is damn loud well prior to the boom coming down 

2. Why is it out of place? As long as it is utilised properly I think it’s a great location 

My point of the train crossing is the boom gate should not close until the "train" is ready to depart, not when arriving at the station. Especially when it is a main pathway.

That path behind old gold rush should be open. They had a staff member on both sides telling you to go the long way around. There was absolutely nothing blocking the pathway which was in 1 peace. There was construction fences on the side so no way a guest can go into the construction zone.

10 minutes ago, Gary86 said:

My point of the train crossing is the boom gate should not close until the "train" is ready to depart, not when arriving at the station. Especially when it is a main pathway.

It'll be in how the detection is setup. By closing on approach, it allows the train to run through without stopping at the station express style, the driver to miss the mark or slide through with locked brakes. How does the Main St crossing work? It should be the same? 

Ideally the crossing should be before the station, so the gates can open up once the train has cleared the crossing. But I don't think there is enough space for that? 

1 minute ago, Gary86 said:

In the photo with the train above it is stopped at the station. There is lots of room if it was to overshoot to stop before the crossing.

But what if it didn't stop at all? 

Intially rail safety worked on the "crap, we killed 100 people, maybe we should change that" approach. These days it works on the "what's a one in a million chance of happening" approach. 

Just look at the big ore train derailment in the Pilbara recently. That was caused by setting very few people knew of, that had never been an issue before. 

6 hours ago, Gary86 said:

The boom has functioned that way since I can remember. It is not really that big of an issue. It’s 3-4 mins max every what - 40mins? 

2 hours ago, Gary86 said:

hopefully they can keep it clean unlike the waterslides at White Water World which are covered in bird poop.

How do you invisage they stop the birds from shitting on the slides? Establish a no fly zone over the park? I reckon if you ask the maintenance manager or chief engineer about it, they’ll tell you the love the bird shit on rides as it gives them good luck! 

Level crossings outside of theme parks work the exact same way. Our family has a farm on the other side of a level crossing and if the train is stopping at the station, the gates will come down as it approaches, the train stops, unloads, loads, and then passes through the crossing - but the station is not a busy one, and most trains express straight through it. As mentioned above - its a couple of minutes  a couple of times an hour.

The system needs to be automatic. We cannot have safety systems that rely on manual intervention (ie, a train driver triggering it when he's ready to leave the station) because we've seen how well that worked on TRRR. There isn't enough space after the station for the train to roll on and trigger the gates before it reaches the crossing, and it isn't safe to roll forward, trigger the gates, and then stop to wait for them to close - as passengers (who are next to the station) may attempt to get off, which the driver may not see, which would be unsafe also.

Bottom line is a few minutes waiting at a boom gate isn't the worst thing that could happen to you at Dreamworld - so perhaps be patient.

I do think, however, that Dreamworld would do well to put some sort of activity or feature at that location for people to kill the time - perhaps little cutouts people can put their head through and pose for a photo? Maybe a train history board that talks about the history of the Dreamworld Railway? Just something to kill the time...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

I do think, however, that Dreamworld would do well to put some sort of activity or feature at that location for people to kill the time - perhaps little cutouts people can put their head through and pose for a photo? Maybe a train history board that talks about the history of the Dreamworld Railway? Just something to kill the time...

Great ideas! I think it's ideas such as these that could actually make forums like Parkz useful to theme parks! 

If only they didn't contain so much immaturity, so management could take them seriously. 

7 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

The red gutter looks shit.

Throwback to those days where people tried to theme things to a proper 'main street' where a 'red zone' in American meant 'no parking'.

I'll bet the people responsible for things like that have no idea as to the backstory or significance of it, and just keep repainting it because the gutter has always been red...

The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the red zone.

The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone.

NO! The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading and there is no stopping in the red zone.

The red zone has always been for loading and unloading there is never stopping in a white zone.

Don't tell me which zone is for stopping and which zone is for loading.

Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again! There's just no stopping in a white zone.

Oh really, Vernon, why pretend, we both know perfectly well what it is you're talking about. You want me to have an abortion.

Its really the only sensible thing to do. If its done properly, therapeutically, there's no danger involved.

Edited by AlexB
  • Like 1