Vekoma reveals Next Gen SLC, Flyer & more on new website

Coaster Hipster

Thunderbird is a new, exciting and extremely smooth Suspended Thrill Coaster. This new suspended family coaster...

Is it a thrill or a family coaster...? In my mind they're not the same thing... and I wouldn't call a coaster with inversions a family coaster.

5 airtime hills

Seems like an odd element to be so prominent on a suspended coaster. But I look forward to seeing where this goes!

35 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

Is it a thrill or a family coaster...? In my mind they're not the same thing... and I wouldn't call a coaster with inversions a family coaster.

Seems like an odd element to be so prominent on a suspended coaster. But I look forward to seeing where this goes!

Very good points actually. From my understanding Vekoma now creates several designs for each type of coaster (it's actually one topic I discussed in the interview linked above). Basically a customer ask for a layout which is then available for other parks to re-use/'clone' unless specifically forbidden by the original customer in a non-compete clause. So Thunderbird is actually only the first of several Next Gen SLC layouts to be revealed.

My educated guess is that the park who ordered that Suspended coaster wanted something intermediate between tame family and extreme intense experiences and Vekoma came up with this design. Hence the relatively smaller 1.2m height requirement and presumably a softer force profile. Just like their new Sitdown coasters come in several sizes and elements, there are certainly bigger and more daring Suspended Thrill Coaster layouts arriving eventually... ;)

Edited by Coaster Hipster

Interesting Vekoma is selling Brogent's I-Ride.

1.thumb.JPG.6bcd4ffadc696c8c0e18b9da6403c8bb.JPG2.thumb.JPG.33bd26fb63542452357f3108778389f5.JPG

Part of the Vekoma Rides’ success is having integrated strong partnerships in both our sales and purchasing process. In Brogent Technologies we have found a strong partner for media based attractions, enabling us to expand our product portfolio with well sought-after attractions, such as the very popular Panoramic Flying Theatre i-Ride, the v-Ride 306, m-Ride, d-Ride and many other innovative attractions.

Based on Brogent’s years of experience both in the Entertainment industry and motion simulation technology, I-ride has become the leading Flying Theatre with a respectful number of projects world-wide. I-ride is a great addition to any venue and suitable for Theme and Amusement Parks, Shopping Centers, Zoos, Museums as well as Stand-alone attractions.

The Theme and Amusement Park industry is continuously looking for creative solutions, safe and innovative high quality coasters and attractions that bring a high marketing value to their parks. The partnership between Vekoma and Brogent has already proven to be a great added value to both our companies.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Santa07 said:

I think what they are referring to in this case is that the ride is based off the Vekoma Suspended Family coaster track and vehicle design, rather than the Arrow-based coathanger track they have used for every other SLC they have built. The ride experience will be likely similar to the Cylon side of Battlestar Galactica at Universal Singapore.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX