Animated TV series about Aussie Theme park

Musclethorpe

A while ago I reached out on here for any helpful info about theme parks to assist me in writing an animated comedy pilot about a run-down Aussie amusement park.

I’m excited to share that the first episode has been written and we are looking for people who want to be involved through Kickstarter: http://kck.st/2SzSI6K

The link shows a short preview of the comedy (There’s a roller coaster called the Red-bellied Black Snake!) and also has some pledge rewards that may interest anybody who wants to become a cartoon character in a show!

Additionally, I’ve also written about my Theme Park experiences as a kid growing up in Sydney during the 80s and 90s. (Wonderland, Old Sydney Town, El Caballo Blanco, SegaWorld, Green Valley Farm, Tomteland, Fox Studios Backlot Tour and others all get a mention): http://www.pacificrock.com.au/blog/nurry-brothers-adventure-world/come-and-revisit-your-favourite-childhood-amusement-park/

37678AA7-801B-4CC7-ACEF-7B44ED1FFE93.jpeg

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

You do realise there is an actual theme park called Adventure World in Perth who will probably have a big issue with their name being used in a cartoon depicting a run down theme park.... 

HaHaHaHa somebody is being a stick in the mud. 

It needs a cartoon character who’s catch line is “that is not a monorail” every time they get of a ride.😊

12 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

You do realise there is an actual theme park called Adventure World in Perth who will probably have a big issue with their name being used in a cartoon depicting a run down theme park.... 

Unless they have thier own tv show it can't be a problem by international copyright law. 

26 minutes ago, Jpw251 said:

Unless they have thier own tv show it can't be a problem by international copyright law. 

Yeah that’s not particularly true.. 

If started a cartoon about a fast food restaurant that served donkey meat instead of beef to save money and made nuggets from stray alley cats, and called it’s Brad’s Family McDonalds i would have a cease & desist letter in 15 seconds. Even if I called it’s Brad Family McDonkeys i’d get one. 

A local burger joint here on the Gold Coast just got one for have a burger called the Big Pac that was made from alpaca meat, simply because it sounded like Big Mac...

AW may have no issue with it so nothing would happen, but I hazard a guess with the spotlight on park safety, having a cartoon with a park sharing your name operating run down attractions may draw some interest from senior stakeholders 

13 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

A local burger joint here on the Gold Coast just got one for have a burger called the Big Pac that was made from alpaca meat, simply because it sounded like Big Mac..

Burger Urge are always pushing the boundaries, gets them free publicity. 

And with the profit in in that business, they can afford the lawyers. I knew one franchisee, they paid off the setup cost of about $100k in 9 months. That's after wages, franchise fees, rent etc where paid! Mind you they did work 6 days a week each. 

On 16/11/2018 at 8:22 AM, Brad2912 said:

IANAL but they do hold a trademark...  

On 16/11/2018 at 9:24 PM, Musclethorpe said:

I discovered there was a place in Perth called Adventure World recently, but this Park is called “Nurry Brothers Adventure World” - I don’t think there’s an issue.

"Nurry Brothers (insert any trademark here)" is probably an issue for any trademark holder.

On 16/11/2018 at 8:22 AM, Brad2912 said:

Ok first up -

image.png.c35d3c366e525a000ce0e1dd3fffd218.png

As for Australian based trademarks, Trademark number 1628161, registered for "Adventure World - A lifetime of extraordinary travel" is a trademark owned and protected that does not relate to the theme park - they are a travel agency.

There's a company based in victoria called 'adventure world pty ltd' that market "monster cookies".

There's another 'adventure world' trademark, registered in Sydney, that provides travel agency services, owned by Adventure World Holdings Limited.

The Perth Theme Park trademark is owned by Adventure World (WA) Pty Ltd, and is specifically " Entertainment services being the provision of amusement park theme park and water park rides and attractions (including fixed and mobile) as well as facilities for leisure and recreation"

The fact that the cartoon is set on a theme park does mean there are similarities, but I honestly doubt they'd care (which you've said also). I guess it depends on where they plan to take the park and how bad it is to be protrayed...

On 16/11/2018 at 9:43 PM, Brad2912 said:

Yeah that’s not particularly true.. 

If started a cartoon about a fast food restaurant that served donkey meat instead of beef to save money and made nuggets from stray alley cats, and called it’s Brad’s Family McDonalds i would have a cease & desist letter in 15 seconds. Even if I called it’s Brad Family McDonkeys i’d get one. 

A local burger joint here on the Gold Coast just got one for have a burger called the Big Pac that was made from alpaca meat, simply because it sounded like Big Mac...

You'd get a cease and desist letter from McDonalds for just about anything. They protect more of their property by scare letters than actual litigation, and people have challenged them and won.

In the case of Burger Urge, I think you'll find it was less about the name "the big pac" and more about the marketing of "two alpaca patties, sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun" which is arguably very similar to the McDonald's marketing campaign, which is no doubt trademarked as well.

I do think you'd have a run at Brad Family McDonkeys - it would depend on the type of product you sold.

Omg someone makes a cartoon and a bunch of people feel the need to run to the aid of an apparetly hard done by and poor defenseless Adventure World and need to shut them down. 

Why cant people just enjoy something for what it is without haveinb to carry on like this. 

Quick fact, the parks don’t our assistance or defense to operate. 

• Like 3