Theme Park Survey

Joanna C

Hi! 

Please help me graduate and fulfill my market research project for my MBA course by filling out this survey as part of our major course requirements. The goal of the research is to identify the factors affecting theme park attendance in Singapore and Australia.

Since theme parks play a vital role in improving the tourism image of the country, my research aims to help the theme park industry in identifying which area they can focus their strategies on based on the latest perception of theme park visitors and eventually add value to the country’s tourism. 
Once completed,  I will also be very happy to share the results of my research.

Here's the link:
(Australia)
https://goo.gl/forms/AsT2pq43YookcOPj1

Suggestions and other information are also welcome. :)

Thank you!

• Like 2

It seems like someone pops in at least once a year to take advantage of the captive audience here, and this is normally their first (and sometimes only) post.

I think a longer term member did ask for input on a research project at one point, but i think the difference was that they engaged with the community and were known - so it was more 'helping out a friend' than 'answer a random survey'.

I'm very sorry, but its a no from me. Good luck with your project.

19 hours ago, Joanna C said:

The goal of the research is to identify the factors affecting theme park attendance in Singapore and Australia.

my research aims to help the theme park industry in identifying which area they can focus their strategies on based on the latest perception of theme park visitors

The best strategy is not to kill people on your rides

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AlexB said:

@iwerks - come on now, we've discussed this and concluded AW isn't a theme park. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's more a theme park than DW is.

8 hours ago, iwerks said:

Well, that sucked.  I've been to Adventure World and a bunch of other places that aren't on the list. Someone needs to realise that Australia is more than just the eastern seaboard. I can't actually complete the form.. 😡🤢🤮

You got further then me.  I'm still stuck on this question.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.thumb.JPG.c561e7338d479e8e4c0c7601dcf1c8fc.JPG

• Like 1

^Considering they both have a ride/rides, id say they count.

Besides, everyone knows that Australia only consists of 3 states. Why do you think an Australian tour only means the east coast? Hell for some reason bands play the Newcastle convention centre and Adelaide before they play Perth let alone the territory.

Actually, have any major bands played either of the territories?

1 hour ago, jjuttp said:

Besides, everyone knows that Australia only consists of 3 states. Why do you think an Australian tour only means the east coast? Hell for some reason bands play the Newcastle convention centre and Adelaide before they play Perth let alone the territory.

First up - Brisbane is just as forgotten by touring artists as Perth is. There are many things that influence a tour - for example - if the venue has a date available for the artist that fits in with the rest of their touring schedule - and it doesn't always work due to other major events.

Bryan Adams currently has dates for Melbourne, Wollongong and Sydney, Hunter Valley and Perth - but nothing else. All of the east coast venues are consecutive days - but Perth is three days apart from the rest... which leads me to my next point -

Perth's population is around 2 million, but they're 42 hours by road from Sydney and 36 hours from Melbourne.

Newcastle's population is half a million, but they're 2.5 hours by road from Sydney.

Adelaide is 1.3 million, and 8 hours from Melbourne.

Its not a matter of jumping on a plane. The artist can be in another city in 24 hours - but all the staging gear isn't typically hired in locally (some standard things are, but all the custom gear, the band's specific gear and so on) needs to be road freighted from one venue to the next. For some bigger artists, very little local equipment is actually used, and almost everything needs to be transported from one venue to the next.

To include Newcastle on your ticket, its a few hours north of Sydney, for half a million people - its worthwhile to hit the satellite city to pick up another quick payday. The payoff just isn't there for Perth. It's almost 17 times the travel distance, for only 4 times the population.

Bryan Adams doesn't usually have extravagant and elaborate staging, so the costs of heading out to Perth aren't terrible, but for the bigger artists with many more truck loads of staging and equipment - the costs start to go up - and Perth doesn't have the satellite population that makes it viable.

I know people in Brisbane that flew to Sydney for Pink. It's an hour's flight... but an hours flight from perth gets you what... Kalgoorlie? (pop 30,000) Esperance? (pop 10,000) Geraldton? (37,000).

It's a matter of cost vs. supply. Perth is so remote to everything else in this country, it's little wonder it suffers in this area... I really don't understand why people continue to complain about Perth not getting the same attention as the east coast - its simple economics.

Yeah, Perth hasn’t missed out on concerts since the Beatles played in the early sixties. The average income in Perth is pretty high and I’ve read statistics showing that we spend more on tickets than most people do in Australia. We get the sporting  matches, concerts, astronauts  and fantastic magicians probably more than Brisbane does.

I know the distance theory put forward by @AlexB would appear to make sense, but it just isn’t the case. We have had a great selection of arenas since the entertainment centre opened in ‘74 (Bohemian Rhapsody, anyone?) to Perth Arena, the Convention Centre, NIB Stadium and Optus Stadium. Bands come here. A lot of them have multiple sets of stages. Even Prince made the effort to come to Perth on his last tour by bringing his extra piano from home. We also have a flourishing local music scene with great Indy radio stations and pubs with no pokies. A lot of bands like Pearl Jam (who love surfing in Yallingup) and singers like Taylor Swift spend time down south.

It’s just theme parks we have problems with. We currently have a gung-ho Premier (with a budget heading into the black) willing to splash cash on tourism to attract the best football teams, sports people and airlines in the world here. Tourism is getting a big push. For the first time in ten years, things are really looking up.

Edited by iwerks

20 hours ago, AlexB said:

Newcastle's population is half a million, but they're 2.5 hours by road from Sydney.

Yep population of the greater Newcastle/Lake Macquarie area is about 560,000- making it Australia's 7th largest city.  However , if you couple the fact that the Newcastle catchment area also encompasses the populations of the Mid North Coast up to Coffs ( population of 310,000) and the Hunter/ New England area ( Tamworth (61,000 population) and Armidale ( population 25,000) all who are will to travel to see international acts , then staging a concert in Newcastle/Hunter Valley becomes a very lucrative and viable proposition in its own right, distance from Sydney not withstanding.

14 hours ago, iwerks said:

We have had a great selection of arenas since the entertainment centre opened in ‘74 (Bohemian Rhapsody, anyone?) to Perth Arena, the Convention Centre, NIB Stadium and Optus Stadium.

Not sure what you are referring to here @iwerks. Bohemian Rhapsody was released in 1975 and Queen then toured Australia in 1976 in what was only their 2nd visit to Australia ( their first was an ill fated appearance in 1974 at the Melbourne Sunbury Music festival). Perth was definitely on the stopover for the '76 tour.

I do agree with you however. Most international acts certainly include Perth on their itinerary for any tour- Perth is usually the first stop of any Australian leg. This has been proven time and time again and distance from the east coast isn't really a huge deciding factor in deciding these things- the population is large enough to warrant it almost always being included on any tour. The only thing that would prevent Perth from being included on the tour is where exactly that particular tour is headed- normally East coast tours encompass dates in New Zealand or continuation onto Asian countries like Indonesia or the lucrative tour market of Japan.

Of course , it also depends on the popularity of the touring artist in Australia-I know several bands that have a niche fanbase who have only done Melbourne and Sydney shows as their Australian leg.

The city that tends to miss out the most of any tour stopover is Adelaide. This city is frequently missed out by numerous touring artists and with a population of only 1.2 million it is comparable to Newcastle without the added advantage of being 2 hours from the largest city in the country.

14 hours ago, iwerks said:

t’s just theme parks we have problems with. We currently have a gung-ho Premier (with a budget heading into the black) willing to splash cash on tourism to attract the best football teams, sports people and airlines in the world here. Tourism is getting a big push. For the first time in ten years, things are really looking up.

That's good to hear. Perth deserves a bigger theme park industry and hopefully there are good signs of this expanding. Having never been there, its certainly on my list and I an keen to visit Adventure World. Having another good sized park or attraction will only hasten that decision to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jobe said:

Not sure what you are referring to here @iwerks. Bohemian Rhapsody was released in 1975 and Queen then toured Australia in 1976 in what was only their 2nd visit to Australia ( their first was an ill fated appearance in 1974 at the Melbourne Sunbury Music festival). Perth was definitely on the stopover for the '76 tour.

I was actually referencing the film Bohemian Rhapsody where they go on tour and the first international city that is mentioned is Perth. The Entertainment Centre also features heavily in ABBA: The Movie. Yeah, if you look at the set list for Queen’s gig, Bohemian Rhapsody is performed in three different parts. We also have lots of great outdoor venues and the vineyards down south too for visiting international acts.

Edited by iwerks

On 28/11/2018 at 11:22 AM, AlexB said:

It seems like someone pops in at least once a year to take advantage of the captive audience here, and this is normally their first (and sometimes only) post.

I think a longer term member did ask for input on a research project at one point, but i think the difference was that they engaged with the community and were known - so it was more 'helping out a friend' than 'answer a random survey'.

I'm very sorry, but its a no from me. Good luck with your project.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. There will always be the first post. I have chosen this topic with all enthusiasm and I'm just utilizing available and reliable platform for my research. With all hopes of learning to do market research, I greatly appreciate those who have responded and gave valuable insights. :)

On 30/11/2018 at 11:28 AM, iwerks said:

When they list Sydney Aquarium and Luna Park you know they’re not just talking about theme parks.

Yep, added some major attractions/destinations as well in Sydney and Gold Coast as the scope of the research.