Reviews & Reactions - Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster: Next Generation

ejpdtd

3 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

Yikes, that animation looks terrible. It looks just as bad as the Arkham Asylum VR. And the 'projection mapping' on the mirror scene looks very poorly made. For something claimed to be 'next generation' this looks like late 2000's animation.

Hopefully when I experience for myself the 'updates' arent as bad as they are seen on video...

Maybe that’s because the film is from the early 2000’s and they are replicating the animation in that? I think you guys are being way too harsh. Looks pretty good to me. I like that they’ve actually tried to do something different and not just rebuild it exactly as it was, or even worse left it empty. Assuming there is more work to come to fix up some of the little details mentioned too? These rides rarely open without a few little bugs, especially with the amount of new effects installed.

Edited by GoGoBoy

14 hours ago, webslave said:

You know, if you're going to school this guy on Copyright Law it would probably be best if you did not violate it whilst doing so.  After all, did you get permission to reproduce the picture on the right? :)

Well, to be fair, you quoted it too - which is also reproducing it. :)

Fair point - i'm no expert on the intricacies of copyright, you're absolutely right - however i'm not ripping someone else's video, slapping my own logo on it and then republishing it.

Thanks for picking me up on that - good to know others have at least some interest in respecting other people's work.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

Maybe that’s because the film is from the early 2000’s and they are replicating the animation in that? I think you guys are being way too harsh. Looks pretty good to me. I like that they’ve actually tried to do something different and not just rebuild it exactly as it was, or even worse left it empty. Assuming there is more work to come to fix up some of the little details mentioned too? These rides rarely open without a few little bugs, especially with the amount of new effects installed.

giphy.gif

And folks think @Richard drinks the Village Kool-Aid. There's plenty in that POV that's awful. If a park touts incredible, revolutionary project-mapping and a whole new experience and after a year of closures all they deliver is just just meh graphics on a screen, I think people have every right to be disappointed.

Edited by Slick
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Slick said:

a whole new experience and after a year of closures all they deliver is just just meh graphics on a screen, I think people have every right to be disappointed.

"But" is this the final product or is MW trying to get the ride back open for the holiday period and will sort the problems out latter?

10 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

"But" is this the final product or is MW trying to get the ride back open for the holiday period and will sort the problems out latter?

It'll be open for the holidays but then the theming will be removed up until it's closed again in June for "Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster Next Gen Really This Time"

25 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Well, to be fair, you quoted it too - which is also reproducing it. :)

As it turns out, I'm not - for a couple of good reasons;

- Copyright law has exceptions for 'Fair Dealing', and in this case is covered by ss 41, 103A which provides for an exception based upon the assumption that copyright owners ordinarily expect to have their works subjected to criticism and review for the purposes of providing potential consumers with information about the works.
- The image is reproduced when it was uploaded to Parkz' server, not when it's linked inline.

Interestingly enough, there's also an exception under ss42, 103B for 'Reporting News' which sits around the public interest in promoting the free flow of knowledge, ideas and information.  That may cover off his use, but to do it needs to be legitimate news and sufficient acknowledgement needs to be made.  Misrepresentation of himself as the copyright holder of items such as logos, etc would not be lawful.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

No it’s not, but I believe all the parks on the coast have decided to band together in the name of shitty service to provide potential customers with a united front in the war against reliability 

Why would someone with such a poor opinion on Gold Coast theme parks join a forum that's all about enjoying them?

Weird! 

3 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Why would someone with such a poor opinion on Gold Coast theme parks join a forum that's all about enjoying them?

It’s not a poor opinion if it’s fact 😉

In all seriousness, I have seen far worse negativity around here, and Brad’s post has a very valid point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Weird! 

Oh Push... I fanatically support a team that hasn’t won a premiership since I was 1 year old and didn’t even know what a footy is, and I spend as much time on their forum as I do here. Guess I’m a sucker for underperforming entities...

in all honesty I’ve had annual passes to every GC theme park for a decade, so my “support” really can’t be questioned, I’m just honest about the times we are currently in - I hope I live to see our parks come out the other side & deliver on their potential 

I’m honestly surprised how little love some of the new effects are getting from you guys. A few things that standout to me as good additions- The ‘reflection’ of your car with the monsters chasing after it is awesome, very Haunted Mansion-esque; I like that they’ve added more interest to the lift with the inclusion of Scrappy Doo, rather than just having the car sitting there waiting for the next car to join it; and I’m a fan of the final tropical/Spooky Island scene just before the exit platform — glad they put that back in but re-worked it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Weird! 

Yeah. I mean - it's not like he's shooting down the parks for building thrill rides which appeal to their core demographic, and whining when it isn't a dark ride or a walkthrough - that'd be absurd!

7 minutes ago, dylan_oregan said:

They could've done so much better with the theming , it's a real shame. 

Unless you're Disney, everyone can do better with theming than they do. We have no idea how much this cost, but the entire sets have been completely rebuilt from the original plans, and they've integrated new technology. By the sounds, it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but isn't it just like enthusiasts to bitch about what they get simply because they wanted better?

• Like 1

I think if all that had happened was the ride had closed for the normal scheduled maintenance period a couple of years ago when all the original themeing was in, and when it reopened the themeing was like it is now, I would have found that quite good. I would have regarded it as a nice little minor upgrade. 

What makes it so incredibly disappointing is the fact that it's been so long without any themeing at all, and we've been waiting very patiently after being told it was going to be "next generation". I was therefore expecting much more than a nice little minor upgrade!

• Like 3

Whilst on the surface, it doesn't appear that they've done much - Every. Single. Set. Piece. Has. Been. Recreated. From. Scratch. Out. Of. New. Materials. While it looks the same, it's hardly "minor". While you only see the additions - the projection, the screen, etc - what you're not seeing is that EVERYTHING is new.

Would you have considered it 'minor' to completely gut Bermuda Triangle, and replace everything with identical, but new copies of everything?

I haven't seen it with my own eyes, so i'm only going off descriptions from others and the few POVs captured so far, so i'm not judging it until I see it for myself. I feel that some of the criticism seems like it is justified, some of it is enthusiasts being picky, and some is just downright ridiculous for anything but a Disney park.

Sure, its absolutely not ideal that the ride was stripped for so long - but by all accounts this was due to a safety concern. Unless you're in the business of set design and construction, you can't possibly know how long it should take, or why it took so long if it took longer than it should have.

How long did Scooby take to construct when it was first built? How much of that was actual track build, and how much was theming? We've seen coasters go up super quick - and in the soundstage, weather isn't a factor - so the actual build time would be quite short, yet, as I recall - construction took a fair while...

• Like 1