Reviews & Reactions - Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster: Next Generation

ejpdtd

10 hours ago, themagician said:

Been told by a ride operator that the ride isn’t finished, and they were quite far behind on the schedule. They’ve reopened because of the Christmas period, but it will close again next year for maintenance to finish it off

History has shown that once a new ride is open, what we see is what we get. Some examples where the Show/Theme has been scaled back / below expectations from original plans on our more themed rides.

- WWF. Version 1 and then worse, Version 2. 

- Justice League. 

- Superman 

- Storm.

I hope for some minor  technical adjustments to the existing show such as lighting but doubt Projection screens/so called mapping animation would be changed from what is already there.

Are the colourful Lasers as per the Ad now working in the main room? Also a good amount of fog juice in that area would do wonders. 

@djrappa pointed out pink fog in the marketing image. Adding fog/mefog or steam to some parts of the dark ride section could also be a simple way to diffuse the lameness of some of those effects, effectively blurring the sightlines and adding atmosphere.

• Like 3

My thoughts on Scooby Doo, it's alright 

Scooby doo is still present when first going into ride just lack of lighting

Needs lighting on the swords and other theming seemed all dark. 

The elevator is a joke . The TV screens look rubbish . Cheap and ugly addition.

Disco Room needs more lasers definitely , wtf none of this has been implemented that was shown in the Ad "false advertising"

Final drop is fine well themed I thought

Edited by dylan_oregan
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Having gone through Sydney Aquarium (SEA LIFE Sydney) on monday, it makes me wonder how little time MW had to make those projections. They have a waist height white glump halfway into the wall in 1 area, but with projection mapping, they managed to put 3D coral and a moving clock onto it (I had to make a shadow just to check it was a projection). They also managed to project a walking penguin and the southern lights (Yes, at this time of year, in this part of the country, confined entirely within a water ride) into the waiting bay/unload station of the boat ride. Also, they have some really nice interactive mapping on the floor leading to a screen for the night time on the reef area, and the entire wrap around the final tank has floor mapping to look like water, then as you up the ramp to the final window, it shifts to sand. There's now a giant wave around the window and the floors mapping matches every part including another interactive beach part just infront of said window. 

I'm aware that Merlin has a bigger budget, but when you look at the idea that this is going into 1 of only 3 venues, adding that its the venue with the highest upkeep of the 3, time is the only factor i can think of. While its certainly not lifelike, it really is close in that it's Merlin style animation, and was installed on a rather large scale like this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brendo88 said:

So has anyone ridden lately and can comment on if they have the lasers/ Fog in the disco room working now?

I rode on opening day and they didn't have them working. Will be going to the park again soon and was hoping that they have the effects sorted out now!

I rode yesterday and there was no fog but there was only 2 lasers

1 minute ago, Rivals said:

I rode yesterday and there was no fog but there was only 2 lasers

Thanks for the reply. That's disappointing. I mean how hard is it to at least have the fog going? The lasers I can kind of understand but no fog is just silly, being the fact that it was working in the last generation of the ride fine... and they have had 6 months to get it sorted

I went on Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster for the second time since the refurb yesterday, hoping it would be better than the first. 

Our car was the second in the lift  (behind another one), which meant we couldn't see most of the animation in the lift.

In the so-called disco room there was one single additional strip of light that sweeps across one line on the floor. 

Still no projection mapping whatsoever. 

All in all, it was definitely better as it used to be until they ripped all the themeing out!

But I would imagine they would need to close it to be able to finish the queue area off. Unless they haven’t yet got it all remade, then it may remain empty until later in the year. Projection mappers might not be installed yet either, which need an extensive time period to install, test and perfected, just like the rest of the ride needs doing 

As far as the queue goes the way it's been set up would actually make it very easy to do while the ride is operational. Close off one side of the queue (which they currently have) and finish the theming works on it. Once that's done, close the other side and open the finished side and then when that's done reopen the queue up fully. Everyone was freaking out about the outside queue being full all the time during peak period but realistically that queue was only as long as if the whole inside queue was used.

I have high hopes for what Village can pull off with Scooby with a bit more tweaking, but expectations are a different kettle of fish sadly. Hope they prove me wrong and actually finish the job instead of leaving it the sub standard it is now.

• Like 5