Wet 'n' Wild GC Maintenance 2019

themagician

On 23/11/2019 at 10:12 PM, themagician said:

And the whirlpool, they’re crap and very unpopular so they should close 

On the contrary, when we go with a group, we usually set up camp near the whirlpool, and agree to meet back there at certain times. While waiting for the rest of our group, a dip in the spas is a great way to stay cool and keep the littler kids amused.

It is also a great escape for those with sensory issues as it is much quieter.

I've only ever experienced Whirlpool in its summer incarnation once (for those unaware, the spas are covered up, and the whole area flooded to create a massive whirlpool a little like a mini lazy river, but a bit faster) - but I believe they've removed most of the functionality of that, which is why it remains as spas year-round now. Its a shame they stopped doing the conversion, as on the day I saw it converted, it carried a decent queue.

• Like 1

@AlexB valid point, but I feel something a lot better could be used within that space. I definitely didn't mind when it alternated between the the fast river rapids and the spas. I remember having a good on the original attraction and it was quite good, even if it did become a bit chaotic at times. If anyone doesn't remember it or not what we are on about, here's a video

• Like 4

Thanks @themagician yeah I suspect it was a combination of cost/upkeep and like you said, the chaotic nature of potential injury may have got their Lawyers a tad worried 🙄. Shame because it was great for those not keen on riding traditional water slides and any Kidult with happy Childhood memories of making Whirlpools in back yard pools. 

4 hours ago, MickeyD said:

the chaotic nature of potential injury

I'm not sure I understand this point. The attraction worked the same way as a lazy river - with slippery tiled surfaces on the wall, as opposed to the sandpapered-style of Calypso. Speed wasn't too much faster, and unlike Calypso - everyone was moving in the same constant direction and speed. It was also easier to observe for the operator, as opposed to Calypso which has several spots one can muck about without the staff paying too much attention. It was deep enough that a fall from the tube wouldn't hurt, but shallow enough that nobody could really 'horseplay' as such. Riders were to remain seated throughout the ride and the operator would turn off the flow immediately if there were any issues, with only residual motion after that point.

I really don't see any particular injury risk here at all, and the video above should also show that.

For those who are struggling to put the two types of ride together - about centre of shot for most of the video is a darkened underwater almost-heart-shape. this is one of the several spas, covered over.

Edited by AlexB
  • Like 1

@AlexB I recalled bumping into others when it was going, people kicking off walls etc and risk of crashing in to someone smaller than you and them getting injured/kicked in the head (potentially). Look, honestly I really don't know the real reason why they got rid of it because these kinds of accidents can happen in practically any water park ride.

Regardless of the reason, keeping the Spa baths there year round is just plain stupid. They belong in Hotels - not Water Theme Parks - especially not in the way WnW presents them. They look shit and are not even decent spas! Bring back the Whirlpool I say!

• 2 weeks later...

Black Hole has a nice new black shade sail installed, although construction fencing still surrounds the ride as of today. 

The Dive In Movies attraction page also mention it as a ride open until 8:30PM so it seems clear they are trying to get it ready for Boxing Day.

Edited by Jordan M.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dano46610 said:

I don't understand why we have dirt bikes at Wet n Wild, all I want to see is a new ride...

Pretty sure motorbikes cost slightly less than a new slide and tower...

it’s about planning. 
clearly the current major capex program is for SW. 

until that’s completed I reckon we’ll only see fillers at the other parks 

2 minutes ago, Dano46610 said:

@Brad2912 yes I understand that new Attractions cost a lot more but what I don't get is why we have dirt bikes I personally think a high speed boat or jet ski show would be better although SeaWorld already has this. 

You clearly have never been to Wet n Wild if you are suggesting they have the ability to have high speed boats and jet skis at the park...