Defunctland: The Demise of Wonderland Sydney

SeriouslyPunked

Just came across this video, about what was behind Wonderland closing (although everyone in this group probably knows it was because of Sunways mismanagement and blaming everyone but themselves for the closure). 

It also mentions a proposed new park opening in 2022 at https://odysseyparksandresorts.com/2017/11/07/worlds-of-wonder-sydney-in-iaapas-funworld/, which we've probably all heard of before, but this time with an opening date of 2022. Although that was two years ago so who knows what their plans are now.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BringADecentParkToSydney said:

Though I'd include this as well :)

Thanks for the Shoutout, we definitely thought the thumbnail for Defunctland's video looked very similar to ours ;) 

Such a shame to see the history of such a great local theme park for me to end up as just another industrial estate. If ran correctly Wonderland Sydney could have very well still been open and expanding today, but with Sunway's greed for a quick buck what little is left of the park is left slowly rotting away in a field forgotten by time and the people of Sydney.

• Like 2

I'd hate to shameless plug but this is another video on Wonderland that might be relevant to the discussion. 

Defunctland is one of my favourite Youtube content creators to watch and delivers his content in a informative, concise and well produced manner that is hard to beat

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

@Aw hype, what's interesting about the video is that Nova was advertising it on Facebook and instagram. 

Screenshot_20190123-192601_Instagram.thumb.jpg.484bce91ce3c447f1c3eab144c2e926b.jpg

This was the article Nova published:

Footage of an abandoned Wonderland has been released as nightmare fuel

RIP The Beastie.

It feels like forever but it's actually been 14-odd years since Sydney's Wonderland was a thing.

Yup! The theme park (billed colloquially as Movie World's povo cousin) closed in 2004 - to the dismay of everyone not currently living on the Goldie - with owners citing everything from the bird flu to September 11 for its closure.

Which is a damn shame 'cause Wonderland was Good Bloody Stuff and worth a trip when your cousins were in town or as a reward for being on your best behaviour -  Hanna-Barbera Land in particular really hit the spot.

While most of us have forgotten Wonderland - and were too young to ever really know its location/cost/adult pain point #3, so it kind of faded away - it seems a few people, including YouTube Channel Abandoned Oz, still have the site on their radar.

And honestly?

Nightmare fodder:

Link to page: https://www.nova969.com.au/you/footage-abandoned-wonderland-have-been-released-nightmare-fuel

Edited by TomiJ

On 16/01/2019 at 3:56 PM, SeriouslyPunked said:

Just came across this video, about what was behind Wonderland closing (although everyone in this group probably knows it was because of Sunways mismanagement and blaming everyone but themselves for the closure). 

It also mentions a proposed new park opening in 2022 at https://odysseyparksandresorts.com/2017/11/07/worlds-of-wonder-sydney-in-iaapas-funworld/, which we've probably all heard of before, but this time with an opening date of 2022. Although that was two years ago so who knows what their plans are now.

Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. Sunway never purchased Wonderland with the intention of running it as a theme park, it was a strategic and very business smart investment with various factors coming into play, mainly the soon to be built M7 orbital in it's doorstep. If they hadn't done it the next owner would've.

Was it sad? Yeah, it was shit to have the best job pulled out from under me and the rest of the staff. But I can now see it for what it was, a very smart business decision.

"The Bus is now leaving for Purposes, NSW"