Movie World Maintenance 2019

themagician

2 hours ago, pushbutton said:

I know there's ample kitchen space for that at AOS so not an issue. 

Oh, you've toured the facilities? And you're familiar with commercial kitchens, and how they're set up, and run? Why on earth do you think they use the stars kitchen, if they have these wonderful facilities at AOS?

I've worked in large scale hotels with banquets departments, and usually, there is one large kitchen for all the bulk mise en plus and pre-cooking. Event spaces usually transport the already prepared food in bulk, and it is either reheated or kept warm, and then plated en masse.

While i've not personally toured AOS back of house kitchen facilities, and can only go from what i've been told, I don't believe AOS can stand on it's own without the stars kitchen, unless additional facilities are added.

8 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

Regardless, there's another decent commercial kitchen in Ricks / team diner that can be used for functions. 

What about food for Ricks? should they close Ricks when the kitchen staff are preparing food for functions? Honestly you've no clue, do you? How you ever managed a business is beyond me.

• Like 1

@AlexB is right in what he said. Bringing in an outside franchise won't work. Dominos pizza left WnW & SW due to poor profits and VRTP taking their little slice of the pizza. I think MW is fine with its dining option and fast food options. I know I don't go to a theme park for a three-course meal.

If you really struggle to find cheap food remember Mcdonalds and Hungry Jacks are on the other side of the motorway. Sure they are outside the park but its cheaper.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

Oh, you've toured the facilities? And you're familiar with commercial kitchens, and how they're set up, and run? Why on earth do you think they use the stars kitchen, if they have these wonderful facilities at AOS?

I've worked in large scale hotels with banquets departments, and usually, there is one large kitchen for all the bulk mise en plus and pre-cooking. Event spaces usually transport the already prepared food in bulk, and it is either reheated or kept warm, and then plated en masse.

While i've not personally toured AOS back of house kitchen facilities, and can only go from what i've been told, I don't believe AOS can stand on it's own without the stars kitchen, unless additional facilities are added.

What about food for Ricks? should they close Ricks when the kitchen staff are preparing food for functions? Honestly you've no clue, do you? How you ever managed a business is beyond me.

One of the businesses I have managed was a restaurant, so strangely enough I do know what I'm talking about! Have I toured the kitchens at AOS? No, but I have seen them and they're big!

Why would they have built AOS with kitchens that are not large enough to prep the food?

Anyway. Not my problem! I'm a guest, not the catering manager. As a customer, I have said what I want, and it's good quality food at a competitive price.

I doubt I'm the only one who would eat in the park if this was available, but who knows? Maybe I am!

If I am the only one (or one of just a small number), then of course, it wouldn't make sense for Movie World to offer such options.

25 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

One of the businesses I have managed was a restaurant,

Mcdonalds is not a restaurant.  

25 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

I have said what I want, and it's good quality food at a competitive price.

You can get that without building a new restaurant.    Adding some cheaper options to an existing outlet menu like $10.00 for a schnitzel & chips makes more sense than your idea.  All you are doing is adding more outlay to MW.

This guy! @pushbutton

The AOS kitchens are large...large enough to finish cook meals and plate them for 1012 people simultaneously. They have ZERO prep cook space or facilities at all. Why? Because they have a purpose built prep kitchen at Movie World. It cannot function without it. 

Having said that Stars has existed with food service since AOS opened. The serving area at Stars is actually a facade, built in front of the old kitchen/service area which was much larger. So there is still plenty of room for a kitchen there. 

However I nearly fell over laughing at “Restaurant” and “Schnitz” in the same sentence. Come on, it’s a shopping centre mediocre fast food outlet at best.  

It's the sort of food outlet I believe would work well in a theme park. 

I have a feeling that a silver service a la carte restaurant might not be quite what most guests at Movie World are  looking for. 

Again though, I might be wrong. If I am then I hope people enjoy their lobsters and champagne after watching the "stuntless show" and riding the no-scooby not so spooky coaster. 

Edited by pushbutton
  • Like 1

On 12/07/2019 at 4:56 PM, pushbutton said:

I have said what I want, and it's good quality food at a competitive price.

No doubts you'll complain if it takes 30 minutes to serve you too.

image.thumb.png.629a04fd40b0fc406e761fbe322f0f26.png

On 13/07/2019 at 9:52 AM, djrappa said:

However I nearly fell over laughing at “Restaurant” and “Schnitz” in the same sentence

But - he managed a restaurant!

On 12/07/2019 at 4:56 PM, pushbutton said:

One of the businesses I have managed was a restaurant

See?

On 12/07/2019 at 5:25 PM, Skeeta said:

Mcdonalds is not a restaurant.  

Oooooooh. Well now it makes sense.

On 13/07/2019 at 11:11 AM, pushbutton said:

It's the sort of food outlet I believe would work well in a theme park. 

It's really not that different from the types of food available at various outlets around the park. Sure, it's not all available in one place, but comparatively, it's pretty much all there.

(Side note - it seems that Wild West Burgers don't even appear on the website anymore...)

Edited by AlexB

It's just better quality food. Quite honestly the quality of even the burgers and fries at the existing outlets is poor.

Also, I don't know what makes you think I'd complain if it took 30 minutes for my meal to be served  (which I've never experienced at Schnitz) but personally I value the quality of my food more than the speed of service. 

I guess you just jumped to another wild and pointless conclusion, for no reason, based on nothing, as usual.

I know good value and good quality dining is possible at theme parks because I've experienced it. Just not in Australia. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pushbutton said:

I guess you just jumped to another wild and pointless conclusion

Not at all. you said you wanted quality, and you wanted it cheap. The service triangle says that it won't be fast as a result... and the fact that you tend to nitpick over small details.

Allow me to refresh your memory - below is your post in May last year - where you suggested:

• changing the bakery to crepes, as they're quick
  • Improving the quality at Gotham (and you think an external coming in is the best way to do this)
  • Bring in a 'high quality' 'fast service' asian restaurant, run by an external, and, if the prices were right, it'd be popular.

I'll refer you to the diagram above - good and fast isn't cheap. good and cheap isn't fast. fast and cheap isn't good.

Here's what I'd do at Movie World.

Covert the deli into a crepe cafe (goes much better with adjacent ice-cream shop, and they're quick and very cheap to make).

SNIP

2. Greatly improve the quality of Gotham burger bar, probably best achieved by getting an established external party to run it.

SNIP

3. Refurbish and reopen the building near the front of the park that used to be "Stars bar" as a new restaurant (could still be licensed) selling high quality, but fast service asian meals. Again this would be best run by an outside business, but I'm sure if the food was good and the prices were right it would be extremely popular.

SNIP

Lastly I'd launch a very well publicised money-back guarantee on food quality at all food outlets in Village parks. It would be simply "enjoy your meal or your money back"! That should give guests the confidence to  try eating in-park, as well as put pressure on the operators of the outlets to ensure they do provide a high quality meal to every customer. Yes there would be a few guests who would abuse such a guarantee of course, but if the quality is in fact good, the benefits of such schemes far outweigh the costs.

Just now, pushbutton said:

I don't know how to win an argument with you

Use common sense for once.

Just now, pushbutton said:

and I'm really not at all interested in trying to. 

That explains a lot.

It seems, @pushbutton, that your solution to most food issues at the park is to bring an external contractor in.

Now, in my opinion, the reason why you get shot down on these arguments, repeatedly, is because bringing an external mob in to run something is a cop out. The park loses control of the outlet, and can't control standards (which can be both good, and bad). They lose money - as they get less revenue when there's a competitor in the park.

If you think the food outlets in the park need improving, then by all means - put forward your suggestions. The crepe bar I quoted wasn't a horrible idea. A bit polarising perhaps as not everyone is going to want to eat crepes and the bakery stocks a variety of things sure to suit more people than crepes, but not a horrible idea to change things up.

But - when your solution involves 'bring an external in' - its a shit idea. What can the external do, that the park cannot do themselves, if they wanted to?

This is the question you should answer. Because the park CAN do anything an external can do, if they try. Chances are, they don't, because people buy the food they currently sell... And diluting their current market by opening yet another outlet at Stars just increases their costs, but won't necessarily increase their income. If the food gets to a point where people would rather eat at mcdonalds and they start losing money in their food outlets, then, and only then, will they realise a problem exists. Until then, I don't think there's much of a problem, judging purely by sales. Your review of Dirty Harry's burrito bar indicates your fussiness is probably a bit more unique to yourself than a glaring issue with a food outlet that otherwise receives mainly positive reviews.

2 hours ago, AlexB said:

The crepe bar I quoted wasn't a horrible idea. A bit polarising perhaps as not everyone is going to want to eat crepes and the bakery stocks a variety of things sure to suit more people than crepes, but not a horrible idea to change things up.

I think Crepe would be a great idea, but no need for a whole bar. Copy what Asia does and run it out of a stand. That way it can be moved, brought out on days when required and change ingredients depending time of the day or season. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joz said:

Schnitzel is what you order when you can't afford a parmagania.

Meanwhile in the real world, I'm about to tuck into a delicious cheese and herb pork schnitzel parmagana with chips right now at Schnitz. 

18 minutes ago, Naazon said:

I think Crepe would be a great idea, but no need for a whole bar. Copy what Asia does and run it out of a stand. That way it can be moved, brought out on days when required and change ingredients depending time of the day or season. 

That would work. 

59 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

Meanwhile in the real world...

...when you can't afford a parmigiana....

With this revelation, i've decided to start a campaign to fundraise for one of our own on Go Fund Me (its what everyone is doing nowadays, right?)

You can donate here: www.gofundme.com/PushbuttonNeedsAParmy

Edited by AlexB
fixed broken gofundme link

31 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

I am open to donations nevertheless. 

I'll give you a donation of knowledge.

"Be kind to Skeet because his the best friend you will ever have"

50 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

delicious cheese and herb pork schnitzel parmagana with chips right now at Schnitz

I hope it came with smoked bacon. 

• rappa locked this topic