Movie World Maintenance 2019

themagician

Perhaps I am too cynical, but extended maintenance windows are another way to keep operating costs down.

Interesting to note there is a window where Arkham, GL, Dodgems and Speedy Gonzales are all down simultaneously. Village must have an army of technicians ready to roll!

Edited by aaronm

1 hour ago, aaronm said:

Perhaps I am too cynical, but extended maintenance windows are another way to keep operating costs down.

Interesting to note there is a window where Arkham, GL, Dodgems and Speedy Gonzales are all down simultaneously. Village must have an army of technicians ready to roll!

Unlikely. The winter school holidays fall right in the middle. Although not peak holiday season, holidays are holidays and Arkham is a drawcard, even after all these years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aaronm said:

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! It’s the perfect plan really, I mean who’s going to complain that a ride is down for maintenance when the response can be “well, look at Thunder river rapids”. It’s the perfect opportunity to hide operating cost cutting really.

Outside of school holidays, I don't know why the parks don't close one day a week for maintenance and budget reasons. Village could stagger the closures to funnel crowds to their other parks (i.e. Sea World on Tuesday, Movie World on Wednesday, Wet n Wild on Thursday). There will always be a need for extended maintenance from time to time, but I'd rather a park that was open six days a week to one with potentially two major rides out of action during a visit.

Expanding hours per day doesn’t always equate to a shorter time frame for overall maintenance.

maintenance length may be due to the need to send a part away for repair, or requires components to be stripped down to identify before you can order replacements etc. 

You can just say “well instead of closing Ride X for for 2 weeks while the park operates, let’s close the park for 2 days and get it all done”. 

You’ve also got a contacted workforce as well who you are now going to pay to stay at home, or deal with lengthy drawn out Union grievances which turn to negative press. 

Not to mention international tour groups that come through parks daily. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Was at the park today. Scooby was operational for an hour upon opening, then closed for an hour( some sort of stoppage- they kicked everyone off it) then up the rest of the day. 

Wild West falls was closed all day. Staff didn’t comment on why. 

Everythinng else was walk on pretty much the whole day

Rode Arkham also today and it has gotten really really rough again, which is strange because when I last rode back in dec it was buttery smooth. Hopefully the extended maintenance period coming up for it can rectify it again. 

Also noted that on green lantern you no longer have to use the lockers as done so in the past. Those lockers have had one row removed now, and are now used for all day hire $10. You can now take bags/ belongings and place them in the baskets on the exit side of the platform. I did think that this slowed down operations somewhat as I was on the far row right and I couldn’t seat myself until everyone else in my row had walked through the train to place their stuff on the exit side of platform. I can see it causing significant delays in peak times if they keep it that way. 

31 minutes ago, Brendo88 said:

Also noted that on green lantern you no longer have to use the lockers as done so in the past. Those lockers have had one row removed now, and are now used for all day hire $10. You can now take bags/ belongings and place them in the baskets on the exit side of the platform. I did think that this slowed down operations somewhat as I was on the far row right and I couldn’t seat myself until everyone else in my row had walked through the train to place their stuff on the exit side of platform. I can see it causing significant delays in peak times if they keep it that way. 

Green lantern has always had loose article station at the loading area. Never have you needed to put your stuff in the lockers. Are you thinking of superman? You put all items in a locker first.

6 minutes ago, Thrill Seeker said:

Green lantern has always had loose article station at the loading area. Never have you needed to put your stuff in the lockers. Are you thinking of superman? You put all items in a locker first.

Nah definitely GL. The lockers at the entry to it on the left as you enter were free( they also used to have a centre row and two outer rows- centre row has been removed)  and they still have signage up as you enter the ride to say no bags etc and to use the lockers provided.

Edited by Brendo88

11 hours ago, themagician said:

GL used to require lockers for a number of years, but they changed that probably about 3-4 years ago, and can use the storage provided 

Haha I must not of got the memo then! I’ve always thought you had to use the lockers up until now. 

14 hours ago, Brendo88 said:

I was on the far row right

That was by choice though right? They don't actually assign you a particular seat... so you could perhaps have chosen to go and sit on the left side, right?

13 hours ago, Thrill Seeker said:

Never have you needed to put your stuff in the lockers.

You have, actually, and was the main reason for an extra staff member right at the entrance to the queue where the GL sign is, as it was their job (just like at superman) to ensure you didn't enter the queue with loose articles, and direct you to the lockers (which were right next to them).

People with glasses they needed to see with would pass them and similar objects off to an operator who had baskets for just that reason - but the loose article boxes on the station have always been there.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AlexB said:

That was by choice though right? They don't actually assign you a particular seat... so you could perhaps have chosen to go and sit on the left side, right?

You have, actually, and was the main reason for an extra staff member right at the entrance to the queue where the GL sign is, as it was their job (just like at superman) to ensure you didn't enter the queue with loose articles, and direct you to the lockers (which were right next to them).

People with glasses they needed to see with would pass them and similar objects off to an operator who had baskets for just that reason - but the loose article boxes on the station have always been there.

Yeah by choice for sure! It’s the best seat. Doesn’t worry me to have to wait, I just noted that it slowed the load and unload times compared to when lockers were in use. 

The staff member right  at the entrance is now gone, the lockers for GL that were free are now all day hire $10 ones. 

Being the fact they they usually run 2 trains for GL, you also have the issue of your stuff is sitting there whilst the train in front of you is also loading/ unloading so I guess there’s more or an opertunity for theft. I’ve never personally had an issue with anything like that though. 

Edited by Brendo88

5 hours ago, Brendo88 said:

The staff member right  at the entrance is now gone

I know, that's why I said "WAS the main reason" and "it WAS their job"

5 hours ago, Brendo88 said:

there’s more or an opertunity for theft.

Yes, which is why all he parks have signage like 'items left at own risk' and so on. Its why parks do so well with All day lockers... Loose item boxes are usually for glasses, hats and so on. If you're carrying your phone and leave it in the box you're accepting that risk. The issue is that GL can have more than two sets of cars running, so its not possible just to have a 'car 1 box' and a 'car 2 box' like Lethal\Arkham used to have with Red\Blue trains.

• rappa locked this topic