Adventure Park Geelong Trip Report January 2019

Jobe

11 hours ago, Www worker 3.0 said:

So to your understanding wnw GC is also a pain in the ass for thier tornado? 

Not having been to Wet'N'Wild Gold Coast for at least 10 years but if you are required to carry the cloverleaf raft up the stairs by hand ,then yes it is definitely a pain in the arse. Especially when parks such as Jamberoo, Whitewater world , Wet and Wild Sydney all have automated conveyor belts to take the raft up. Why wouldnt you find it a pain in the arse?

I have a distinct memory of riding Tornado in September 2004 - but apparently my memory is wrong, as the Wiki says it opened in September 2006. This is only about 3 months before the Green Room opened in White Water World (WWW opened in December 2006) - and that just doesn't seem right - but according to the forums it is...

I just felt like the Tornado was so much older than all the others, and kinda felt this explained why it didn't have a conveyor when all the others did. I realise Mammoth had a conveyor several years before the Tornado arrived, but being the mammoth are such a large raft, it wasn't really possible to carry them.

Who knows? Maybe WWW already had their order in, and ProSlide couldn't deliver another conveyor, so WnW's race to market before WWW opened meant they had to forgo the conveyor? Realistically though, the design of the WnW Tornado probably couldn't accommodate a conveyor - the enclosed section is laid out differently to Green Room, and I don't think you'd get one in. Who made that decision or why, no idea - but there it is.

I've seen two kids carry the cloverleaf up the stairs. it IS a pain in the arse, but its not overly heavy - just bulky.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AlexB said:

I have a distinct memory of riding Tornado in September 2004 - but apparently my memory is wrong, as the Wiki says it opened in September 2006. This is only about 3 months before the Green Room opened in White Water World (WWW opened in December 2006) - and that just doesn't seem right - but according to the forums it is...

I just felt like the Tornado was so much older than all the others, and kinda felt this explained why it didn't have a conveyor when all the others did. I realise Mammoth had a conveyor several years before the Tornado arrived, but being the mammoth are such a large raft, it wasn't really possible to carry them.

Who knows? Maybe WWW already had their order in, and ProSlide couldn't deliver another conveyor, so WnW's race to market before WWW opened meant they had to forgo the conveyor? Realistically though, the design of the WnW Tornado probably couldn't accommodate a conveyor - the enclosed section is laid out differently to Green Room, and I don't think you'd get one in. Who made that decision or why, no idea - but there it is.

I've seen two kids carry the cloverleaf up the stairs. it IS a pain in the arse, but its not overly heavy - just bulky.

Yeah I cant remember riding the Tornado at Wet"N Wild GC at all- it must have been longer since I was there!! The Clover Leaf rafts are not overly heavy true but they are very bulky and difficult to ascend a narrow stair with. This is hampered even more if there is a decent wind as well. The best technique we found was to roll them up the stairs- this kept greater control and could be better managed by just 2 people.

WnW Hawaii's Tornado you also had to manually carry as well, so its not an uncommon issue. I guess when you find an example that is automated , it certainly is a welcome relief. It certainly, in my mind, is cause for considering WWW's example The Green Room to be superior , just on this feature alone.

17 hours ago, Jobe said:

Where you paid, it assigned you a locker ( with handy card payment option) and then it asked how many wrist bands you required. We decided on 2 and then all you did was place the wrist band on your arm, select your locker and then the wrist band is assigned to that particular locker. No worry about remembering pin numbers or locker numbers. Very easy.

I have seen this system in action at Holiday World as well, very handy, wish more parks would do it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jobe said:

I guess when you find an example that is automated , it certainly is a welcome relief. It certainly, in my mind, is cause for considering WWW's example The Green Room to be superior , just on this feature alone.

This is, however, flip-sided by the fact that Green-room queues on the stairwell - exposed and shivering up high in the air, with minimal shelter from wind and sun, whereas Tornado's main queue is on the ground, screened from wind, and with shadesails covering most of the queue, while you wait for a raft. The stair climb is then pretty quick, albeit lugging a raft.

Additionally, the green-room stairs are shared. Although the original design of the tower had two stairwells for the two slides on the tower (super-tubes is the other), the addition of Wedgie divided the stairs into a 'yellow' and 'green' side. Unfortunately this doesn't always work, and those wanting to ride Wedgie are sometimes prevented from reaching the slide by groups waiting for Green Room.

This strategy was clearly adopted for Wet N Wild Sydney. :lol:

Great report! Thank @Jobe!

The entry price based on height is a curious one... I mean I understand the logic behind it, but I haven’t seen it utilised before. I’m not overly familiar with the smaller/regional parks however - is this pricing model used elsewhere?

$178 for a family does seem a little steep to me... largely due to the distance outside of the CBD, but it appears to offer enough to be a comfortable full day experience

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

The entry price based on height is a curious one... I mean I understand the logic behind it, but I haven’t seen it utilised before. I’m not overly familiar with the smaller/regional parks however - is this pricing model used elsewhere?

Luna Park Sydney uses height based wristband prices. They use three tiers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

Funfields also use Height to determine entry. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

Just on he topic of confused belts, the tornado was designed with one in mind and you can tell the pool has been built for one to be installed. But they just haven’t built it yet.

49BB044C-D770-4FD5-8566-6F11BBDF9167.thumb.png.d7a9b1a64a57fd83fcea68c4a17f9e27.png

Yes Tim I am aware of that and mentioned that fact in the trip report here:

21 hours ago, Jobe said:

This one has been installed with expansion on the left for another slide in mind for sure, but obviously the budget this time around did not include the conveyer for the cloverleaf rafts, I have to tell you, lugging one of these up by hand, is no mean feat and it was this fact alone that certainly kept ridership to a minimum throughout the day. I am sure this will be rectified in the future when Adventure Park installs an expansion slide into the ready made area.