Cedar Point trip 2019

Charity00

Hey everyone, I’ll be visiting Cedar Point this June for 2 days (staying 3 nights in Sandusky). 

Does anyone have any tips:

- Transport from Cleveland airport to Sandusky?

- Cheap accomodation in the Sandusky area?

- What lines are like during the June summer period and which rides should be done first?

Thank you

I did it by Greyhound bus once just for a laugh. When you get to the airport catch the tram thing to downtown Cleveland, then it's like a 2 block walk to the bus terminal, then there's a bus you can catch to Sandusky. Drops you off in the middle of butt fuck then you can catch a cab or uber to you hotel.

I kind of did it as a laugh since the people I was going to the park with (who'd hired a car) weren't due to land for 8 hours. Honestly it's pretty ghetto way to travel but if you're on a budget and don't mind spending half the day doing a drive that would otherwise take an hour and a bit, go for it. Queues will be long and any chain motel will be fine, but again, ghetto as.

• Like 1

From what I've seen from YouTube videos, etc, the best plan of attack is to hit Steel Vengeance and then Maverick straight afterwards. Be warned though, it is quite a far walk and some folks partake in a 'running of the bulls' to that side of the park in the early morning, so I would recommend preparing yourself (mentally and physically) before leaving.

Also Top Thrill Dragster seems to go down quite often, so maybe try to hit that earlier in the day?

Steel Venegance and Maverick are the two to do first, both easily get queues of over a hour. I had a platinum pass which got me 1hr early access and a free Fast Lane upgrade. If it is within your budget I highly suggest the pass for these two perks as when you do get let into the park those two rides will be already at 40-60 minutes. Use the water park entrance as it is the closest to those two rides.

Top Thrill Dragster, first signs of it testing get in queue.

Transport to and from I can't comment as I had a hire car. Accommodation there are a fair few options around 5-10 minutes from the park.

Highly recommend getting a car. I made the mistake of not researching a great deal about Sandusky... The biggest issue is transportation. There aren’t any Ubers/Lyfts around so getting to the park is a pain - I ended up finding a transfers service but it was $20 + tip each way (for a 10 min drive) and was bound to their pickup times, not ideal if you want to maximise your time in the park.

The other issue is the town itself is spread out, so unless your hotel has a restaurant or a Maccas across the road you’ll be walking a long way for food.

This was 3 years ago and I visited during the quietest week of the park’s season, so the Uber/Lyft situation might be different during peak.

For the park itself - TTD is still as unreliable as ever and fickle to weather conditions so I agree with above, as soon as you see it running get in queue. Something you won’t ever forget. Maverick has relatively low cap, hit up as early as you can. Raptor and Rougarou churns through people so even a long looking line moves quick. 

• Like 1

On my last visit I caught the train to Sandusky, it kinda sucked though as it leaves Cleveland at 2am (It is part of the New York to Chicago line) but it was super cheap (US$6 one way!), it is also quick and was generally much much better than the bus (Which I have also done in the past).

There is a taxi service in Sandusky, most trips to and from the park cost me about $10 each way. It is not your normal kind of taxi service though, more like Uber. You call their mobile number (Which I still have if you want it) tell them where to pick you up and when.

I highly recommend getting the parks mobile app, it's great for queue times etc. and the park has free wifi throughout.

I stayed off the Point at a budget motel, wasn't anything super fancy but it was clean and the owners were really friendly (They let me stay in the room the day I checked out because my bus didn't leave Sandusky until 7pm).

• Like 1

Have to recommend getting a car if you're going to the park as getting food and stuff in Sandusky is a bit hard as everything is very spread out, as it is in America. Parking at the park is not cheap though so as others have mentioned if there is a cheap taxi or über that could be better than getting a car. Public transport in the Midwest just sucks in general though. You can get between cities easily enough but getting around within them is almost impossible without a car. So if you're not eating at the park über eats could be the best option.

Can't say what the queues are like in peak summer but on the drizzly and freezing cold October night I went the queue for Valravn was 100 minutes and we had to wait 70 for Maverick. So they will draw huge crowds regardless. Thankfully people cleared out a bit later and queues were way shorter closer to midnight. Definitely head to the back corner for Maverick and Steel Vengeance first though. 

As a side note, if you haven't considered it already, Kings Island is a couple of hours away and also has a very good lineup including The Beast. Definitely worth checking out.