One product/service you would like at our theme parks

We need better communication between the parks and the public. For example, DW needs to give us some indication as to when we can expect SV (because “the coming weeks” just ain’t cutting it). Similarly, MW have been tight lipped about a lot of their recent projects, a bit more open communication would be great instead of keeping everything secret. We didn’t hear any confirmation of DC rivals until just a few months away from opening (while most parks would announce something that big a year or even two years ahead of time). Similarly the Aquaman exhibit was a big secret until only a few weeks before opening.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Slick said:

It's such a simple thing to do and yet no one does it often enough.

Totally agree - it's something i learned working in a fast food chain. They had a procedure that managers had to do a walk around of the store every hour inside and out. Not saying it always happened every hour, but you could easily tell when it wasn't being done.

DW need to work on the smaller details to bring back the magic the park once had

VRTP needs to work on its staff, the majority are either rude or don’t care. I understand it isn’t always the most exciting job or best working conditions, but theme parks are designed for happiness, memories, entertainment and fun, and when you have a poor interaction with a staff member, it really brings the experience down 

• Like 2

I think DW is past “smaller details” being able to bring back people. DW need big, audacious “you can’t help but pay attention” changes and additions to bring people back.

agree on staffing at MW, it’s terrible, they need to invest in training, or recruit the right people to start with. I had someone tell me at Gotham Burgers the other day that my premium membership is no good for the monthly pass discounts - these only apply to one pass holders, despite the memberships being the highest level pass, and the website clearly stating “‘memberships and one pass”. Despite this, and showing them the website wording, they still refuse to discount. Needless to say I wasn’t impressed 

• Like 1

Honesty/Communications has probably been the biggest issue over the years. There are always the generic responses that don’t actually help the situation. Especially when it comes to extended maintenance or issues. Hiding this stuff makes it feel untrustworthy. And I’m sure the general public would appreciate knowing this info too

9 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

I think DW is past “smaller details” being able to bring back people. DW need big, audacious “you can’t help but pay attention” changes and additions to bring people back.

You can never go past the smaller details. Sure, DW needs to do something bigger than they are doing, but if that comes at the expense of the smaller details it still won't be enough.

What point is it building a big audacious coaster (for example) if there's rubbish blowing down main street? if the toilets are broken? If it's literally the only operating ride at the park at opening? If in 6 months time the maintenance and care of the attraction causes it to fall into disrepair and is shutdown for months at a time?

From little things, big things grow.

The small things matter.

• Like 2

Of course the small things matter - but they currently don’t have rubbish blowing down the streets and broken toilets, so my suggestion is not - “let’s no longer collect garbage and fix broken amenities in favour of having a big coaster”, it’s made on the assumption that the status quo in “small things” currently is upheld with the addition of something big. 

DW probably knows better than anyone that from little things, big things grow.... faulty water pump wasn’t it..... 

14 hours ago, Slick said:

I'd love to see executive-level management sweat the small details again like their predecessors did. Back in the day, both Longhurst & Menzies would roam their respective parks looking for the little inconveniences that inevitably added up if left unresolved - in Longhurst's case he'd sit in the IMAX Theatre and watched throughput when the film finished, he'd jump on the train and listen in on the narration whilst checking how clean the trains were and would be so fastidious about how well kept the gardens were that people would come to Dreamworld just to see the flower-beds. In Menzies' case, it's somewhat well known that he would go to the parks with his wife on Christmas just so he could see the parks without anyone hassling him.

Basically it's all about fine-tuning every possible moment of the customer experience. Until you've sat in every seat at Green Bean, you won't know how many table-sets are in the glaring hot sun or which tables are too close to the speakers. Until you've lined up as a guest for Tower of Terror, you won't realise how hot, sweaty and smelly the queue line stairs are. Until you've walked up to the Aquaman Exhibit as a punter, you won't realise how the entrance is very un-inviting etc. etc. etc. etc.

It's such a simple thing to do and yet no one does it often enough.

The whole Longhurst has rays of sunshine coming out of his bum doesn’t do it for me.

The truth is Longhurst got bored and didn't want to do it anymore.   I do agree that little things do matter but I also believe big things matter too.  If DW is overly focused on the little things the big things will never get done.  Balance is the key. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

The whole Longhurst has rays of sunshine coming out of his bum doesn’t do it for me.

The truth is Longhurst got bored and didn't want to do it anymore.   I do agree that little things do matter but I also believe big things matter too.  If DW is overly focused on the little things the big things will never get done.  Balance is the key. 

Having spoken many times with Longhurst and asking him point blank why he sold it (and subsequently writing about it) I can tell you that's not it.

But you are correct in that focussing on one thing shouldn't come at the expense at the other - in Dreamworld's case, without a large roller-coaster it's a little bit like re-arranging the deck chairs while the Titanic sinks.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Slick said:

Having spoken many times with Longhurst and asking him point blank why he sold it (and subsequently writing about it) I can tell you that's not it.

Looks like he told one of us different recollections.

HaHaHaHaHa sorry,  I couldn't help myself.  Longhurst didn't tell Skeet a thing.  😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by Skeeta
Playing jokes on slick.

13 hours ago, themagician said:

DW need to work on the smaller details to bring back the magic the park once had

VRTP needs to work on its staff, the majority are either rude or don’t care. I understand it isn’t always the most exciting job or best working conditions, but theme parks are designed for happiness, memories, entertainment and fun, and when you have a poor interaction with a staff member, it really brings the experience down 

Hire the right staff, and treat them well, and they'll treat the customers well because they'll WANT to! 

21 hours ago, elemist said:

Totally agree - it's something i learned working in a fast food chain. They had a procedure that managers had to do a walk around of the store every hour inside and out. Not saying it always happened every hour, but you could easily tell when it wasn't being done.

Some of the things I saw when on my "Travel Path" where actually quite interesting. 

Don't get me wrong. The vast majority were very boring, but just one or two were interesting!