What's gone wrong with SkyVoyager?

pushbutton

I WAS very excited to have what I thought would be my first of many goes on SkyVoyager. 

I'm pretty sure I will still go on it if and when it eventually opens, but I have to be honest, I've lost a lot of my confidence in the safety of the ride due to the very lengthyunexplained delay. 

Unexplained, that is, apart from vague second hand rumours about safety issues. 

Safety issues, ON A BRAND NEW RIDE!!!

Alarm bells and sirens going off in my thoughts about that! 

As I said, I do still want to go on, but I will probably not want to be one of the first. 

Has anyone else had similar thoughts?

• Like 1

Nope. 

I believe the issues are with the Building/Structure that houses the ride, I am sure the ride itself is fine.

The main reason for the delay is DW are still trying to figure out how to fit cages over the top of the Gondolas and adding safety "nooses" to slip around the necks of Rider's and keep them from falling out of the seats.

It's all part of DW being Industry leaders in Safety!

In that case, maybe it is just that some of the curved panels at the front don't quite line up, as I have said previously.

In any case, I still don't see why Dreamworld would want to be so secretive about such things. On the contrary, it would be very much in their interests to be completely open and honest about it!

Spoke with a ride op today who said he’s ridden Sky Voyager about 20 times himself and says it’s a real game changer. (Whether or not he’s telling the truth, I don’t know)

He said it is incredible but the delay is to just make sure it’s perfect, he expected around Easter release. (My guess is for the Easter holidays so it can actually seem busy and run full cycles - as today I’ve been a sole rider on a lot of rides cycles, their is no one here)

I sat and watched the back doors of Sky Voyager for 30 mins today. Dreamworld maintenance and (I’m assuming) Manufacturers we’re walking in and out frequently, so my guess is it hasn’t been handed over yet either. 

Edited by ejpdtd
  • Like 2

On 10/03/2019 at 11:54 AM, djrappa said:

So this will entirely be Dreamworlds usual incompetence causing the delays. It’s not like they had to build a prototype attraction. They had to build a building! And ensure the proper fire, egress, emergency planning, etc. 

To be a little bit fair to Dreamworld and without knowing the specific defects, they contract others to do the construction for them. If there’s an issue with the build it may be something that was totally out of their control. 

58 minutes ago, AlexB said:

It may also well be that Dreamworld's spec for the build was defective, and the contractors delivered exactly what was spec'd.

If the building planning was defective, for example.

Firewalls not allowed for.

Incorrect signage location.

Non-compliant disability access.

Shouldn’t the building certifier pick this up during the building approval process, before the building was built?

In theory yes, but in practice - building certifiers that do a lot of work for the same organisation sometimes tick and flick things, or overlook things intentionally to save money, and assume authorities won't check it.

I've seen this occur. I'm not suggesting DW has done this... but it can happen.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AlexB said:

In theory yes, but in practice - building certifiers that do a lot of work for the same organisation sometimes tick and flick things, or overlook things intentionally to save money, and assume authorities won't check it.

I've seen this occur. I'm not suggesting DW has done this... but it can happen.

DW tender out every certification job and don't use the same one over and over (unlike Village).

If I was a certifier and with the shit that has gone down at DW I would be extra attentive while approving any work at DW.

The problem you get is the building is super, super & super old compared to today's standards. Nobody would've had a full understanding of what they were dealing with until the skin was removed.

In hindsight it might have been easier and cheaper to bring out the bulldozer and start from scratch.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

overlook things intentionally to save money, and assume authorities won't check it.

hqdefault.jpg.b370477ee13c000e99e4ca7771cb2d17.jpg

Edited by Skeeta