$100m indoor water park, Dingley, Melbourne.

Gazza

Zagames/Pellicano are developing an indoor water park in the SE of Melbourne, it will be indoor/outdoor, and feature a semicircular waveoz flow rider, a slide boarding slide where you earn points guitar hero style, and a master blaster, to name a few.

Itll also have an outdoor section, with a retractable facade connecting it to the Indoor part.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.thehotelconversation.com.au/news/2019/03/05/pellicano-and-zagame-release-plans-100m-water-park-dingley-village-melbourne&ved=0ahUKEwj9ntnF9engAhWXTX0KHa7BA3kQqQIIKSgBMAE&usg=AOvVaw1xy-OBUIbIRb7xK14jPYGq

http://www.kiis1011.com.au/newsroom/melbourne-getting-southern-hemispheres-biggest-water-park

https://www.3aw.com.au/cool-reaction-to-melbournes-proposed-new-100-million-water-park/

Waterpark_mainHS_6.3.19.JPG

fbd79931-6d04-4c33-8198-6a41f5553c23.jpg

zag4.png

zag3.png

zag2.png

• Like 3

Found another good article, which also linked to a detailed video rendering of the proposed park: https://theurbandeveloper.com/articles/pellicano-zagame-announce-plans-for-100m-water-park

It looks like White Water West will be the sole supplier of all slides and attractions. I'd always prefer to see a mix of suppliers, but I'm sure White Water quoted an enticing price for the whole package. The place looks like a gigantic local sports and aquatic centre. Very light on themeing, compared to other indoor/partially outdoor waterparks around the world (e.g. Kingdom Of Poseidon

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Luke said:

Found another good article, which also linked to a detailed video rendering of the proposed park: https://theurbandeveloper.com/articles/pellicano-zagame-announce-plans-for-100m-water-park

It looks like White Water West will be the sole supplier of all slides and attractions. I'd always prefer to see a mix of suppliers, but I'm sure White Water quoted an enticing price for the whole package. The place looks like a gigantic local sports and aquatic centre. Very light on themeing, compared to other indoor/partially outdoor waterparks around the world (e.g. Kingdom Of Poseidon

For some reason this looks like a sick GTA 5 edit/montage

On 05/03/2019 at 7:38 PM, Luke said:

I've lived in Melbourne for a year (which was about 12 months too long).

From my experience, I don't think most Melbourne people would be into themeing. 

44 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

I've lived in Melbourne for a year (which was about 12 months too long).

Um..wow. I would live in Melbourne before Sydney any day of the week, but hey- its your opinion!!

Not sure that it is cool to dis a whole city on their feelings towards themeing though............mass generalisation much?

8 hours ago, Jobe said:

Um..wow. I would live in Melbourne before Sydney any day of the week, but hey- its your opinion!!

Not sure that it is cool to dis a whole city on their feelings towards themeing though............mass generalisation much?

If I had to live in Melbourne or Sydney, I'd definitely choose Melbourne! 

12 hours ago, pushbutton said:

We love it, cultural capital of Australia.

9 hours ago, jjuttp said:

But isn't that a large chunk of the state?

Some areas are better served than others for sure, where this proposed park is going is predominantly light industrial/warehouses and golf courses so even the bus routes are a bit thin out there. 

18 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

I’d rather live in Baghdad than Melbourne with its stupid weather, annoying city road network  and la-di-da smashed avo chai quinoa latte hipsters 

Hehehehe..pros and cons!!

Sydney DOES have the better harbour, Luna Park AND bridge...............

And the hipster apocalypse is upon us........god help us all!!!

4 hours ago, aaronm said:

Some areas are better served than others for sure, where this proposed park is going is predominantly light industrial/warehouses and golf courses so even the bus routes are a bit thin out there. 

Gold Coast parks were in a bad spot too but had big car parks and council put on bus transfers. If the park is popular and demand is high enough I'm sure a route will be diverted or a new one build.

Alternatively do what Australia Zoo does and run their own free shuttle. Rock up at the train station and call the number. They have signs at the train station advertising this.

9 hours ago, Naazon said:

If the park is popular and demand is high enough I'm sure a route will be diverted or a new one build.

Melbourne airport was built in the 70s. Any sort of rail wasn't proposed until 18 years ago, and still hasn't been built. 

If they can't even do that, why do you think they would add a few more busses into the mix.

9 hours ago, jjuttp said:

Melbourne airport was built in the 70s. Any sort of rail wasn't proposed until 18 years ago, and still hasn't been built. 

If they can't even do that, why do you think they would add a few more busses into the mix.

Because the melbourne airport train line is expected to cost around the $10 billion mark according to ABC on 22/7/2018.

A new busline would be a whole lot cheaper. 

On 07/03/2019 at 1:38 PM, Brad2912 said:

I’d rather live in Baghdad than Melbourne with its stupid weather, annoying city road network  and la-di-da smashed avo chai quinoa latte hipsters 

Clearly you've never been to Melbourne.  If you did youd know it's one big grid which is easy to navigate. It was a planned city.  Maybe you are confusing it with Sydney which is a spaghetti bowl lol 

It's only a proposal at this point. Melbourne have had plenty of proposals over the years that never came to fruition.

They are trying to build this on Green Wedge zoned land. No permits have been issued yet either. I'm not getting too excited, ever since African Safari World,  I know better than to get my hopes up.  

https://www.3aw.com.au/cool-reaction-to-melbournes-proposed-new-100-million-water-park/

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Patrick Dove said:

it's one big grid*

*Except for:

• Westgate Freeway
  • Mt Alexander Road

Fuck it - there's too many to pick on.

Perhaps it would have been better to say 'several grids'... because, well - the grid around albert and middle park face NW\SE direction, whereas Windsor to Richmond's grid is more NNE/SSW, Melbourne CBD itself is NNW/SSE.

I could point to various areas around Sydney that are 'grid-like' that are screwed up by geography - (such as the harbour). Brisbane is arguably 'gridded' within the CBD, but outside of that - nope...

All cities are 'planned' - at least until the plan changes... I guess everyone tends to lean favourably towards their home city

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

*Except for:

• Westgate Freeway
  • Mt Alexander Road

Fuck it - there's too many to pick on.

Perhaps it would have been better to say 'several grids'... because, well - the grid around albert and middle park face NW\SE direction, whereas Windsor to Richmond's grid is more NNE/SSW, Melbourne CBD itself is NNW/SSE.

I could point to various areas around Sydney that are 'grid-like' that are screwed up by geography - (such as the harbour). Brisbane is arguably 'gridded' within the CBD, but outside of that - nope...

All cities are 'planned' - at least until the plan changes... I guess everyone tends to lean favourably towards their home city

Hmm.

I do not live in either Melbourne or Sydney but have spent plenty of time in both, for work and leisure. I have driven extensively in both and traveled on public transport in both. In my mind, Melbourne is far easier to navigate than Sydney, in both pubic transport and for driving.

You are right in that all cities are planned. Cities expand and out grow their initial planning and sometimes, due to geographical features or other considerations, the planning that follows is not always integrated with what has come before.

Sydney was a much more organic city than Melbourne, growing out of the site of the first colony on the Australian mainland. By necessity, it was bounded by the harbour which is so integral to its character and lifeblood. Very hard to grid or plan around such a feature as this.

Melbourne was much more planned but was also easier to plan and "grid", given the nature of its site. This is why Melbourne feels so much more programmed than Sydney in its layout.

I love elements of both cities, but Melbourne for mine takes the title. There is a reason that Melbourne was name the most liveable city for 7 years in a row, from 2011 until 2017. Vienna has taken the mantle for 2018 with Melbourne 2nd. Sydney, to be fair was not that far behind, in 5th position, with Adelaide rounding out the top 10.

• Like 2