$100m indoor water park, Dingley, Melbourne.

Gazza

7 minutes ago, Jobe said:

There is a reason that Melbourne was name the most liveable city for 7 years in a row, from 2011 until 2017

That title is a dubious one at best. How some of the world's most amazing cities were beaten by Hipsters who like to deconstruct their toast is beyond me.

• Like 3

On 13/03/2019 at 1:05 PM, Brad2912 said:

Been to Melbourne plenty of times, and spent the first 21 years of my life in Sydney. 

Sydney & Brisbane are infinitely easier to navigate. If Melbourne was planned to be that way then it must have been designed by the same guys now calling the shots at Dreamworld...

Brisbane yes,  Sydney no. Your more familiar with Sydney that's why it's easier for you.  Melbournes roads are mostly straight lines with teams going down them.  Sydney isn't.  Most people agree Melbourne is easier but you can have your opinion it's all good man 👍  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Patrick Dove said:

Brisbane yes,  Sydney no. Your more familiar with Sydney that's why it's easier for you.  Melbournes roads are mostly straight lines with teams going down them.  Sydney isn't.  Most people agree Melbourne is easier but you can have your opinion it's all good man 👍  

**Trams 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Dove said:

You're more familiar with Melbourne that's why it's easier for you. 

Most people who live in melbourne agree Melbourne is easier

On 13/03/2019 at 1:10 PM, AlexB said:

I guess everyone tends to lean favourably towards their home city

But you can have your opinion it's all good man.

but you can have your opinion it's all good man 👍  

On 15/03/2019 at 9:01 AM, AlexB said:

But you can have your opinion it's all good man.

My opinion based upon many years spent in both cities and speaking to many interstate and international travellers.  People for the most part prefer Melbourne. They love the convenience of the trams and the straight line roads. The CBD, for example, is so easy to get around. 

Sydney is lovely, and the traffic is worse in Melbourne these days due to the rapid growth,  but the road network it's pretty good and getting better. 

Sydney has beteer beaches and winter weather though,  so nice and mild!! 

Also check this out:

https://www.travelweekly.com.au/article/sydney-named-worlds-10th-worst-city-in-new-rankings/

Melbourne 2nd best! 

Lol sorry Sydney 

Hope Zagames builds this park btw!!  😊😊

• Like 2

On 16/03/2019 at 9:58 AM, Patrick Dove said:

They love the convenience of the trams and the straight line roads. The CBD, for example, is so easy to get around.

Yeah. Nothing like interstate and international travellers having to try and negotiate a hook turn with no idea how.

weather

Yeah - if you could just pick a season and stick with it for a day, maybe.

LOL. I just find it so amusing how hard melbourne locals will try to convince non-locals how amazing their city is. Sydney 10th worst? in the usual global rankings, melbourne scores at or near the top, but Sydney has also consistently been in the top 10 or so for many years. These sorts of rankings are very subjective, and really doesn't mean anything - it is a small group's opinion, which may, or may not agree with your own point of view.

Take ReviewTyme's rating system, for example.... ;)

As with ReviewTyme's rating system; the ranking of a city comes down to the what the individual is looking for. Sydney may be ranked as one of the most live-able cities in the world (source) but it's also one of the most expensive cities in the world (source). All rankings are arbitrary unless you're looking for specifics. 

Melbourne is better suited for the creative industries because it already embraces entertainment and artistic culture. Sydney has shown time and time again that it's business first, leisure later with business opportunities and developments thriving whilst many entertainment venues and even theme parks fail spectacularly. 

Sure, the city does have events like VIVID but a good chunk of the attendees are domestic or international travelers (source). When living in the city I knew many Sydney-siders that despised the event because it disrupted their daily commutes, added more crowds and made it difficult to navigate the city.

Sydney is not what I'd call a 'fun' city. I get why many Melbournites toot their own horn.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CaptainLazerGuns said:

I get why many Melbournites toot their own horn.

Q: How do you know if someone is from Melbourne?

A: Don't worry, they'll tell you.

1 hour ago, Gazza said:

The hook turn thing isn't major, few intersections have it..... you shouldn't really be taking your metal box into the cbd, and if you do, you can suffer the hook turns 

Much of this discussion is centered around the roads, and Melbourne is "apparently" great to navigate...

People for the most part prefer Melbourne. They love the convenience of the trams and the straight line roads. The CBD, for example, is so easy to get around. 

On 15/03/2019 at 6:28 AM, Patrick Dove said:

Melbournes roads are mostly straight lines with trams going down them.

On 13/03/2019 at 2:42 PM, Jobe said:

I have driven extensively in both and traveled on public transport in both.

On 13/03/2019 at 8:31 AM, Patrick Dove said:

it's one big grid which is easy to navigate.

On 07/03/2019 at 12:38 PM, Brad2912 said:

...with its stupid weather, annoying city road network

...At the end of the day...

1 hour ago, Skeeta said:

Where else in Australia can you be at work in the morning, ride Rivals at lunch and be back at work for the afternoon?    GOLD COAST is the greatest city in Australia.

^This almost entirely ends the debate.*

*Gold coast is not as good as Melbourne or Sydney at putting on international games ceremonies, apparently.

20 minutes ago, AlexB said:

*Gold coast is not as good as Melbourne or Sydney at putting on international games ceremonies, apparently.

*********** The Queensland Government were the ones that stuffed it***********  SSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Who the hell runs an event and run a scare campaign turning people off the event?

Edited by Skeeta

28 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Q: How do you know if someone is from Melbourne?

A: Don't worry, they'll tell you.

And yet none of the people you quoted defending Melbourne or agreeing with me are even from Melbourne.

You've obviously got a chip on you shoulder and you aren't going to give it up. 

Your unfair prejudice and lack of impartiality means I'm clearly wasting my effort.

Every major city in Australia have their own identities and things that make them great. Competing is just stupid.

Good luck being angry at a city you don't even live in.  That's on you. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Patrick Dove said:

Most stupid comment I've ever read.  Go look at a weather report before making immature unfounded comments. What are you 12? Melbourne can be changeable but it doesn't happen everyday lol

Melbourne is colloquial referred to as a city that experiences all seasons in a day.

does that mean it does everyday? Of course not, but it IS common. 

Your blind defence of your city is getting old. Every city has issues and positives. 

Melbourne has a great music scene, sports cultural. It also has terrible roads and abhorrent weather. 

On that note big guy you need to calm down a tad....  Suns getting real low... 

4 hours ago, Patrick Dove said:

You've obviously got a chip on you shoulder and you aren't going to give it up. 

Your unfair prejudice and lack of impartiality means I'm clearly wasting my effort.

Every major city in Australia have their own identities and things that make them great. Competing is just stupid.

Good luck being angry at a city you don't even live in.  That's on you. 

This is AlexB you’re talking to. He’s angry and only slightly middle-aged. Block him and move on.

The indoor water parks are a great idea for those people who live in colder climes and like to ride waterslides all year. It’s good to see Melbourne parks getting the improvements they need. Melbourne’s a great tourist destination.

12 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Melbourne is colloquial referred to as a city that experiences all seasons in a day.

does that mean it does everyday? Of course not, but it IS common. 

Your blind defence of your city is getting old. Every city has issues and positives. 

Melbourne has a great music scene, sports cultural. It also has terrible roads and abhorrent weather. 

On that note big guy you need to calm down a tad....  Suns getting real low... 

Its not as common as you think. 

Abhorrent is a bit excessive,  it can be dreary in winter, but it's not that bad.

I'm allowed to love the city I live in aren't I? 
It's a fantastic place to live. 

People who don't live here give it a bad wrap.  Far worse than it deserves.  You don't live in Melbourne so the roads or weather aren't your problem.  Why waste your time. 

Let's just get back on topic please this is about the water park proposal In Dingley. 

12 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Your blind defence of your city is getting old. 

Even though I live, work,  eat,  sleep,  and love here every day all year round,  I guess a guy from QLD knows more about my home city than me. My bad I'm just blind. 

BTW I already mentioned the crap traffic and weather not being perfect all year round.  

• Like 1

Oh my god. 5 out of the last 8 posts. For gods sake settle down old son - you're going to make yourself sick...

(and nobody wants to get sick in Melbourne... the constant bad weather will never let you get better!)

It's quite amusing that you've argued your right to speak your mind, but continue to insult those who disagree with you.

• You told a person who had been to melbourne that they haven't been to melbourne.
  • You then invalidated their opinion because 'they were more familiar with Sydney'
  • You then claimed my comment was the 'most stupid comment i've ever read', and said it was immature and unfounded, and suggested I was a child

Meanwhile, i've not said one derogatory thing directed specifically at you, and at worst, i've generalised about stereotypes, which is no worse than what has been said by you or others either.

So - roll over onto your stomach to minimise butt-hurt. Have mummy apply some cream to soothe the burn, and avoid forums for at least 48 hours.

12 hours ago, iwerks said:

This is AlexB you’re talking to. He’s angry and only slightly middle-aged.

Hey, it's not like i've made a secret of it - it's right there below my name. Try something new, will you? You're starting to make me think you're another Avatar of push the way you're going.

ok everybody, repeat after me...

Kum-Bay-Yah My Lord.....

15 hours ago, Patrick Dove said:

BACK ON TOPIC

I'm a little puzzled by the choice of location. The area is mostly industrial built on top of former rubbish tips.

I work just down the road from Dingley. There's plenty of space so why on a Green Wedge?  

The location works well in conjunction with the surrounding road infrastructure as it includes access from Peninsula Link, East Link, Frankston Freeway, Springvale Road, Dingley Bypass and the new Mordialloc Bypass which is set to begin construction soon. Those transport routes paired with the 20+ schools within a 20 minute drive seems like a safe choice to have a consistent customer base. The Cable Water park just down the road is swamped with families before 9am most summer mornings. The pools and slides at Frankston PARC (which is 15 minutes down the freeway) become so busy during the holidays that the casual swimmers are diverted to another local pool as a solution to trying to keep guests at manageable level. 
This water park in Dingley is a great idea and will grow very quickly - IF they have the right teams leading with provisional investments set aside for the future. Bring it on!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mickayel said:

The location works well in conjunction with the surrounding road infrastructure as it includes access from Peninsula Link, East Link, Frankston Freeway, Springvale Road, Dingley Bypass and the new Mordialloc Bypass which is set to begin construction soon. Those transport routes paired with the 20+ schools within a 20 minute drive seems like a safe choice to have a consistent customer base. The Cable Water park just down the road is swamped with families before 9am most summer mornings. The pools and slides at Frankston PARC (which is 15 minutes down the freeway) become so busy during the holidays that the casual swimmers are diverted to another local pool as a solution to trying to keep guests at manageable level. 
This water park in Dingley is a great idea and will grow very quickly - IF they have the right teams leading with provisional investments set aside for the future. Bring it on!

Fair point. Makes sense.  The roads are pretty busy in the area but it's an exciting proposal.  I hope it goes ahead! 

On 13/03/2019 at 8:31 AM, Patrick Dove said:

I know better than to get my hopes up.  

image.png.a5b811304e54b309164730c527f4c7c5.png

2 hours ago, Patrick Dove said:

I hope this goes ahead.

image.png.54157aaa61c3e73a9c0f31275f86557d.png

2 hours ago, Patrick Dove said:

Melbourne aquarium is a bit meh. 

Clearly you've never been to Melbourne Aquarium.  If you did you'd know it's one big Aquarium which is easy to navigate. It was a planned Aquarium.  Maybe you are confusing it with Aquarium, which is aquarium bowl lol. aquarium.

Aquarium. 

image.png.fa078e4ce0b13924facca4a0ee7ae9f7.png

*I am not calling anyone a dumbass. Just admitting i'm a smartass.

Seriously though - too many places building slides, not enough places building coasters, amirite?

• 1 year later...