Sea World Ferry Service

themagician

https://seaworldcruises.com.au/sea-world-ferry/

Interesting points:

Timing - departs Surfers at 9am, for arrival at the park at 9:35am. Leaves the park 4:15pm to arrive back at surfers by 5pm - so by taking advantage of this option, you lose 45 minutes inside the park.

Cost - Adult return is $18, kids are $13. I appreciate the vessel is costly to operate, but the 35 minute cruise from surfers can also be done by an Uber in 5 for a lot less money.
I appreciate its a much more leisurely way to get there, and they have a bar on board, but 30 minutes to enjoy a leisurely drink along with a boatload of others probably isn't enough time.
Something they could do to sweeten the deal on this is to offer those who use the ferry an exclusive entry gate. All this would require is one of those ticket scanners on a trolley - which they already have several of - at a 'special entrance' for ferry passengers, and potentially tie this in as 'early entry' to the park. Actual cost is minimal (staff to man the gate - the ferry stewards could do this) but it would really give an incentive to catch the ferry over an uber.

Frequency - they have one trip each way a day. a further two* services commence June 1 (right in the middle of that busy winter peak season!), but it does make it a bit limiting.
*front page says two services, 'cruise times' page says 3...

Features - Snacks, Drinks, (both user pays) and free on board wifi are enticing bonuses.

Overall, I guess its good that they're maximising the use of their cruise boat asset. I hope its successful (and profitable) for them. Let's see if its still operating this time next year...

30 minutes ago, AlexB said:

by taking advantage of this option, you lose 45 minutes inside the park.

I'm impressed if you can make a Sea World visit last that long. Even seeing all the shows and taking your time, it's hard not to be done by 3pm.

Looks like the ferry is $10 one way though, so you could take the ferry up and bus back if you really want the full day experience.

47 minutes ago, aaronm said:

I'm impressed if you can make a Sea World visit last that long. Even seeing all the shows and taking your time, it's hard not to be done by 3pm.

Looks like the ferry is $10 one way though, so you could take the ferry up and bus back if you really want the full day experience.

You know you are allowed to ride each ride more than once, right? take your time? stroll instead of powerwalk?

Try visiting Sea World with a toddler and you'll see just how long it takes you to get through the whole park. I agree - childless visitors can be done early, and prior to us acquiring a 3 foot tall wrecking ball, we could spend half a day at the park and be quite satisfied.

Regardless, the park is open until 5, and guests should have the option of enjoying the entire day for their money. Given the ferry is branded 'Sea World' it seems a bit ludicrous that the timetable doesn't take that into account.

Hopefully the new Ski Show might have an 'end of the day' show just like the old ski show did - and give people a REASON to stay until 5...

As for the bus - sure, let's launch this brand new co-branded "experience" for our guests, and tell them if they want full value for their money, they should catch a (non branded, not owned by us and therefore no profit goes to us) public bus to get home.

9 minutes ago, AlexB said:

As for the bus - sure, let's launch this brand new co-branded "experience" for our guests, and tell them if they want full value for their money, they should catch a (non branded, not owned by us and therefore no profit goes to us) public bus to get home.

I was just pointing out that the bus a reasonable alternative if people want that extra 45 minutes in the park. Most of the time it seems to start emptying about 3:30 anyway so a 4:15 ferry departure may well suit a good number of guests.

SEA WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The solution has been in front of you all along and you don't need to pay a 3rd party for a ferry service.

If I learnt anything from slick’s video, it's dolphins are underworked and could easily fit in a couple of ferry shifts between shows.  I for one would pay 10 bucks for a ride a dolphin to my hotel and for the heavy-set people you could strap 2 together and charge 20 bucks.

Ride-the-Dolphins_fb_7805.jpg.2a1669d71ef399693c788197c4be92b4.jpg

In all seriousness, If I hadn’t been to SW before I would be reluctant to purchase a return pass that required me to leave SW early.  But, but, but being a person who been before and knowing what we know, I couldn’t spend 6.5 hours in SW so for me the times are too far apart.

55 minutes ago, AlexB said:

It may well do - right up until the park starts installing new attractions that result in longer days for visitors - such as the rumored 2020 attraction...

Hmm good point. I forgot the time table was set in stone and couldn't be updated when situations change such as new rides, shows and or experiences or additional feedback is given about the scheduling.

/s

It only undergone major refurbishment last year and yet it's closed for a long period again

2 minutes ago, Naazon said:

Hmm good point. I forgot the time table was set in stone and couldn't be updated when situations change such as new rides, shows and or experiences or additional feedback is given about the scheduling.

/s

You're right. We should disregard those who do want to spend the entire day there. They should just be thankful they can experience the morning ferry, and not be so selfish so as to expect them to pick them up at the close of business.

Since the park is able to be done in such a short time, i'd like to propose to Bikash that they reduce Sea World's operating hours, and close the park at 4... because nobody needs that last hour.

2 hours ago, AlexB said:

Since the park is able to be done in such a short time, i'd like to propose to Bikash that they reduce Sea World's operating hours, and close the park at 4... because nobody needs that last hour.

Not a terrible idea, will save on some opex. Aussie World already shuts at 3 on a weekday.

According to Google most people spend 3 hours at SW. I don't think a 4.15 departure time is a big problem (last show on the lake aside) I think the park should do night trading, but if won't work of the park can't make people want to stay. Also relevant that there will be a 5.15 after June so happy days to those who do want to stay. 

Massive props to both Bikash and the other fella for being able to say with a straight face it'll be quicker than driving. I think they were right when they were saying you do the ferry for the experience.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, aaronm said:

I was just pointing out that the bus a reasonable alternative if people want that extra 45 minutes in the park. Most of the time it seems to start emptying about 3:30 anyway so a 4:15 ferry departure may well suit a good number of guests.

I thought it might be a safety thing as it would get people back to Surfers before sunset, but the later services in June ruin that idea.