Movie World Overflow Carpark update

VRS Holdings Pty Ltd took City of Gold Coast to court to resolve the overflow carpark.

Earlier this week the appeal was resolved in favour of the development of the proposed carpark by Movie World on their Kopps Road property.

The Court Order regarding the appeal is available on line, however the changes from what was initially proposed include:-

- concessions regarding the number of bays (774 now 663);
- Sound attenuation
- pedestrian bridge access (required before use commencement).
- improved landscaping, fencing and signage conditions.
- security, lighting and hours of operation.

Ultimately after several Alternative Dispute Resolution meetings (and experts providing advice) there were insufficient grounds remaining for the City to successfully defend its refusal.

Edited by Skeeta
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, aaronm said:

Sound attenuation? Given it's already next to the M1, what are they being asked to do?

Sound attenuation for neighboring properties.

13626982_1066518233429466_4545091194430522399_n.thumb.jpg.19eab71c315ed60d3fe3069162c26441.jpg

18 minutes ago, aaronm said:

Also where is the pedestrian bridge going - over the creek to Kopps Rd?

I don't believe a bridge has been designed.  It's only a condition at this stage.

The plan I have attached isn't the amended plan with the 111 reduction in carparks.

• Like 3

I wonder if the bay reduction means larger bays the the total area is reduced.
How many bays does the main carpark have at the moment?

security, lighting and hours of operation.

Does this mean they want the new carpark gated with CCTV and 24 hour security lighting or lights turned off after use?

Hours of operation surely would be until like 10pm or something?

@Thrill Seeker I’m not sure if this is still the case, but MWs carpark is/was owned by the council (Someone on here will know), so it is likely that the grassed area isn’t allowed to be developed for that reason, and as it is/was used for some events (Christmas Carols).

But I do agree that surely they should install the carpark on the blue area, rather than using land nearby. What they should also do is make their current carpark more pedestrian friendly, as there isn’t really any designated path to get the entrance, meaning most people just walk in the lanes. All it would take is removing the end carparks of each row and addings a pedestrian crossing instead. And maybe even finish the gravel area and make that a lined carpark too

4 minutes ago, themagician said:

@Thrill Seeker I’m not sure if this is still the case, but MWs carpark is/was owned by the council (Someone on here will know), so it is likely that the grassed area isn’t allowed to be developed for that reason, and as it is/was used for some events (Christmas Carols).

But I do agree that surely they should install the carpark on the blue area, rather than using land nearby. What they should also do is make their current carpark more pedestrian friendly, as there isn’t really any designated path to get the entrance, meaning most people just walk in the lanes. All it would take is removing the end carparks of each row and addings a pedestrian crossing instead. And maybe even finish the gravel area and make that a lined carpark too

images.jpg.c8f8a42bfb827f992d1ea4624e4f04d2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrill Seeker said:

The RED is where the new carpark is proposed for.

the BLUE is the normal over flow. Why wouldn’t you develop that on first?

Because that land already is used for parking in peak periods, so sealing it will only get a tad extra capacity (due to people parking in a more organised manner with marked bays)

What they need is more actual land for parking, hence the Kopps Rd car park.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rabbit2014 said:

I fought the hotel was planned to go between top golf and outback Spectacular originally 

Not as far as I have ever heard. There isn’t sufficient land between TG and OS for the hotel anyway from what I can see, the water tank for filming, carparks and access road to PC are all in that area. 

3 hours ago, Gazza said:

Because that land already is used for parking in peak periods, so sealing it will only get a tad extra capacity (due to people parking in a more organised manner with marked bays)

What they need is more actual land for parking, hence the Kopps Rd car park.

Here I was thinking they were just adding more parking so they could add more rides by building ones on land reclaimed from their main parking lot.... wishful thinking or stupid thinking I dunno but more rides!.. I know I know MW is fine atm, its seaworld that needs more..

• Like 1

Unless you build the hotel behind AOS, I don't think its the best idea to hide the biggest impact frontage (big rollercoasters and ride towers) behind multideck carparks and hotels.

There's a reason Green Lantern, DC Rivals and TopGolf all have giant LED signboards with their logos out the front.

The only place i'd put the hotel is on the current grass overflow, but since the overflow is required regularly for summer, fright night and christmas night events, the new overflow potentially will allow them to build their hotel.

And maybe council might learn from their loss in court here, and will be more open to approvals for the hotel (although, given the principal lot is already zoned, it should give rise to less objections)

Edited by AlexB

54 minutes ago, AlexB said:

And maybe council might learn from their loss in court here,

If Village lodged the same carpark approval today, council would also not approve it.  Council only follow what is written in legislation.

54 minutes ago, AlexB said:

more open to approvals for the hotel (although, given the principal lot is already zoned, it should give rise to less objections)

People can't object to a hotel because the 2016 Town plan was purposefully changed to allow MW to build a hotel.

1.thumb.JPG.3c52cff4f53f7b386688fd8378b08223.JPG

As long as the hotel has                 < 400 Bedrooms

< 27m in height

> 30m from front boundary

It would be a standard approval.

If MW wanted to do something else----- all bets off.

(as I quickly read it)

Edited by Skeeta