Someone is coming to Dreamworld

themagician

Matt Hollywood? May as well watch paint dry, its more magic than him. 

This is Ardents version of "capital light", and good on them if it works this time, but nothing beats having rides open in a theme park, or heck new rides and attractions to experience, something Ardent have forgotten.

6 hours ago, AlexB said:

Not anywhere near what a blockbuster hyper coaster will do, but for cost vs. benefit, this show might actually give them a better return per guest than dropping $30 million.

Cost v Benefit on the short it might lean towards the magic man, but a $30million coaster would bring long term benefits. All the need is a vision...

Your top billing attraction isn't open due to whatever reason.

Cash flow is non existent. 

You have very little money to spend. 

You need something now, not in two years time. 

You've just had to close a key ride permanently. 

Do you do nothing, or see who you can get and afford at short notice? 

49 minutes ago, Max Egan said:

A new small roller coaster will come to Dreamworld in a few years time. 

If that’s all that is in the pipeline there won’t be a DW to put the coaster in...

1 hour ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

I think a show with a famous magician is better than a different looking Batman car. 

Depends on taste. I’d argue there is a lot more Batman fans than Consantino fans (well I don’t need to argue it, it’s a straight fact). 

I’ll see both as I have passes for both, but if I had passes for neither - a new Batmobile and DCR beats a magician and a still delayed SV, especially in terms of a long term commitment to a park which is what an annual pass is. 

It’s been near on a decade since I have not had passes to DW, and the last year or two I’ve probably only kept them as a figurative (and probably misguided) show of support through embattled times, however I don’t see a solitary reason why I should renew this year. I’ll (hopefully) get to ride SV before they expire mid year, and then there is nothing on the horizon except some shaded seats that the park down the road has. Without some MAJOR announcements coming mid year with what will likely be terrible financial year results (no doubt presented in some way to not seem so terrible) I wouldn’t be surprised if they have less than half the passholders they had 2-3 years ago

8 hours ago, joz said:

So you think one off shows are better than permanent additions?

The Tumbler was iconic and easily recognisable to the general public due to the popularity of the Dark Knight trilogy, albeit getting on in years. 

The new one is from a comic book I think? Even the announcement barely raised a blip on this forum. 

By entertainment value for me a one off show would be more interesting than a swapped out parade float that I don’t recognise. 

Also don’t get me started on the MOVIE World batmobile not looking anything like the one in the most recent MOVIES.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jokes_on_you said:

so I think Movie World doesn’t need to do something til June/July Holidays. 

Here's my 45 cents.

Dreamworld is in a shit position. Much of it is their own making, they HAD to offer something these holidays, or their attendance and revenue would just continue to plummet. Cosentino is at least better than

"we're making sure we're ticking all the boxes because safety is our number one priority, so, while all of our rides are closed, you can still come to our park to see some tigers, and maybe have a swim, if we have enough lifeguards"

However - School Holidays are big bonanza times for the parks (with Easter being second to Christmas). If VRTP are going with the strategy of

"well, we did a butt load over Christmas, and we've still got that $30 million coaster from a year ago, so we don't need to bother offering anything special these holidays - we can wait until June/July to offer something new"

...Then that is just not good enough. It doesn't have to be anything stupendous - it just has to be something new, to give regular visitors a reason to visit - a reason to come back to the park, and spend more money. A new character appearance. A special parade. A special street show. A dress up day with prizes for best costume (although have rules around professional cosplayers, and just offer Merch as prizes instead of large quantities of cash). I remember Wonderland did a treasure hunt one holiday, where you had to take your treasure map around the park and get it stamped at various places, and if you got all of the stamps you got a little gift pack.

Some of these suggestions cost a bit more than others. Some helps to cycle older merch the park would like to refresh. There's a little advertising budget involved here, but anything is better than "Woophoric" - team up with the courier mail and put a sunday paper lift out with the treasure map...

I don't even work for a park and i've come up with several ideas, some of which can still be achieved in time for the start of holidays... so it isn't too late for MW to pick something up, but its disappointing that Cosentino - which is a big announcement for a holiday attraction - has gone unanswered by VRTP. (And yes, I acknowledge that in their current position, they probably dont need to answer it - but for the reasons stated above - they still should.)

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, AlexB said:

I remember Wonderland did a treasure hunt one holiday, where you had to take your treasure map around the park and get it stamped at various places, and if you got all of the stamps you got a little gift pack.

Australia Zoo just did that over the end of the Summer holidays, although a much larger area and it was more educational focused but I think it was quite successful and engaging for kids.

1 hour ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Get all stamps at Movie World and you get a free backwards ride on DC Rivals, that seems reasonable.

the concept of backwards having a price tag is because supply is limited. If every tom dick and harry can collect the courier mail, get some stamps and then get a free ride, the afternoon queue will die (and the park won't get the revenue they could otherwise get).

A free batman mask you can already get with a kids meal at gotham probably isn't going to work either.

• 2 weeks later...