Wipeout is closed for good (retired)

What were you doing in 1993?

It was a big year for Dreamworld as it was the year that one of our much-loved thrill rides WipeOut opened.

WipeOut is the oldest of Dreamworld’s collection of thrill rides and after a little over 25 years of service it is time for WipeOut to retire.

Although WipeOut will be going into retirement, Dreamworld still has more than 40 rides, slides and attractions including thrill rides Hot Wheels Sidewinder, Tower of Terror II, Giant Drop, Buzzsaw, The Claw, Pandamonium and Tailspin.

There are also many new and old family-friendly rides, a water park, LEGO store, one of Australia’s largest collections of native animals, a world-class tiger conservation precinct and a celebration of Indigenous culture and history, making Dreamworld Australia’s largest and most diverse theme park.

Following a significant amount of feedback from loyal guests, Dreamworld has decided to convert the area currently occupied by WipeOut into a ‘chill space’ featuring shading and seating.

Dreamworld CEO, John Osborne said, “during the long hot summer we received regular feedback from our guests that they would like more shaded areas and comfortable seating in close proximity to our dining areas and major rides.

“The retirement of WipeOut presents a great opportunity to provide such an area in a very convenient and central location,” he added.

“We continue to look at opportunities for further investment into the park, and have some exciting news to announce next week, as well as the opening of our world-class flying theatre Sky Voyager coming soon.”

Thank you to our millions of guests who have taken on the challenge of flipping, spinning, twisting and tumbling on WipeOut since it opened in December 1993.

Share your WipeOut memories on Instagram using #wipeoutmemories to farewell this old favourite.

Vintage cars is now shit.

Log Ride is now shit.

Train is now shit.

Replacing Wipeout with shaded seating is another slap in the face for DW guest.

Edited by Skeeta
  • Like 2

On 06/03/2019 at 8:52 PM, Archer said:

The Wipeout will be permanently removed before the end of this year and Dreamworld have already planned to fill in the area, that doesn’t include a ride.

When I posted the above 2 days ago I was questioned about it as if I was making it up.

• Like 4

Biggest load of crock I have ever heard. The ride has needed to go for years, but to make it out like there is this undeniable request from visitors for additionally shaded seating “near major rides” is ridiculous. The biggest undercover seated area in the park is a 30 second walk away, and there is further shaded seating in front of Flowrider.

the park can’t attract enough to people to fill the existing bloody seats they have. 

I would argue not a single person has requested a “chill out zone”. 

3 minutes ago, Sol said:

I was there a couple of weeks ago,

It looked like it was undergoing maintenance.

Did they find something major that was wrong with it? 

There has been something major wrong with it for years. 

2 minutes ago, Archer said:

When I posted the above 2 days ago I was questioned about it as if I was making it up.

As is general standard when someone without “runs on the board” announces aomething as fact without much detail in how/why they have this information 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

Following a significant amount of feedback from loyal guests, Dreamworld has decided to convert the area currently occupied by WipeOut into a ‘chill space’ featuring shading and seating.

That is even more amazing than Bikash's 'The Ferry will be quicker than driving'. Seriously the amount of people on trip advisor complaining about too many rides and not enough places to sit is unreal, good on them 😂

Wipeout closing forever is an interesting one, it could both indicate trying to turn the place around or not caring about the place. DW need to let a lot of these old rides go, so even if Ardent are trying to fix the park, Wipeout closes. No point throwing money into keeping it going for 6months, may as well get the pain out of the way.  Same thing will happen soon with Cyclone, Tot, and Buzzsaw.

Equal to that though, they have nothing in the pipeline. That's not a good sign.

Edited by joz
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, joz said:

amount of people on trip advisor complaining about too many rides and not enough places to sit is unreal, good on them 😂

I blame @Jdude95

56 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Biggest load of crock I have ever heard.

John Osborn is no CEO.   John Osborn has been promoted to the spin doctor.

Had to happen eventually. Sad to see Wipeout go, one of my favourites at DW (making the Vekoma Top Spin an extinct ride AFAIK), but it was pretty clear the ride had been on its last legs for a while.

Replacing it with some seating is also a disgrace but I couldnt expect anything less from Ardent that lack a short term plan, let alone a long term one. 

As mentioned in previous posts, don't be surprised to see this be the first of many closures. Eventually Dreamworld will get smaller, and the ride count will drop as any costly maintenance issues will be carefully measured against the ticking clock to see if they are financially worth the investment to fix. Instead the park will slowly shrink smaller and smaller, until it gets to the point where it just isn’t cost effective to run it any longer and then poof… it will vanish forever and be replaced by a housing development.

Edited by Baconjack

• joz locked this topic