New and very different attractions

pushbutton

8 hours ago, Baconjack said:

Sky Voyager. It's completely unlike anything else i've heard of anywhere because no ride i know of has opened almost six months behind schedule.

6 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Could turn out to be a world record! 

There have been plenty of rides that have opened a lot further behind schedule than SV... for example, Galeforce is a recent example of a coaster that opened a year after it was scheduled to open.

8 minutes ago, colonelbmx said:

I found Spiderman at Universal islands of adventure very unique I rode it multiple time to figure out all the tricks, very well done 

I just watched the POV. Looks quite good. Still though, Universal must be absolutely in awe of the projection mapping on Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster "next generation"!

1 hour ago, pushbutton said:

I just watched the POV. Looks quite good. Still though, Universal must be absolutely in awe of the projection mapping on Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster "next generation"!

its basically justice league on steroids I actually thought I was on a coaster the first time, 

Australian theme parks have a lot to learn but DC hyper was a great start 

• Like 1

On 06/04/2019 at 12:01 PM, pushbutton said:

Could turn out to be a world record! 

On 06/04/2019 at 6:58 PM, Santa07 said:

There have been plenty of rides that have opened a lot further behind schedule than SV... for example, Galeforce is a recent example of a coaster that opened a year after it was scheduled to open.

Orphan.

Rocker.

It's not a favourite, but you can't get an experience like Mission: Space anywhere else! That initial 'launch' on the ride is one of the most exciting moments I've ever had on a ride and as a big space nerd I was hysterical.

Also Flights of Passage!  It's similar to some other rides like Soarin' but ramps it up to a thousand.

• Like 2

Does anyone really make one of a kind attractions these days? Feels like it's back in the days when parks had old eccentric owners who poured their creativity into parks that you'd get truly one off in house attractions. Off the top of my head there's Whirlpool at WnW, a live SCUBA diving show at SW, and paddlesteemer bushrangers show at DW. I would also suggest that Young Einstein's gravity house at MW would fit into that, even if the idea was borrowed from Freedomland USA (another CV Wood park). 

I think aside from the standard high-end innovative stuff that Disney and Universal do, most additions these are more clinical and less unique. Even the unique stuff is stuff that you pick out of a catalogue from a manufacturer, or the same thing as something else with a different skin.

You still get occasional unique things but I think it's rarer than it used to be. Having said that, whatever that strange Movie themed park in Italy is looks pretty wild.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, joz said:

one off in house attractions.

Probably an industry swear word in the current environment.

I realise things like Einstein and Scuba aren't the same sort of risk, and i'd love to see more unique things like this, but the in-house development these days *cough* thunder lake *cough* isn't what it used to be.

11 hours ago, joz said:

Does anyone really make one of a kind attractions these days?

We can only blame ourselves and the public for this. We want additions, we want them big and we want them now! Therefore theme parks go with the safest additions possible for the minimum price and maximum impact. 

Look at Dreamworld for example. They took a risk with Sky Voyager and they're paying for it. It's been delayed a couple of months and the theme park community doesn't care about the attraction; they just want to see heads roll. Other parks around Australia will look to this an example that if they take a risk that doesn't pan out then it's just not worth it.

Put in a multi-million dollar virtual flying theatre that's delayed? Scorned.

Chuck a temporary travelling carnival ride in the centre of your theme park? Praised. 

• Like 1

Just now, Skeeta said:

@CaptainLazerGunsSV isn't a one off attraction.

One off rides shouldn't exist in world-class theme parks.

2 minutes ago, joz said:

Why do you think Sky Voyager is unique or 'taking a risk'?

Because they could have followed the current expectation of just building a roller coaster that even two years on still gives Movie World praise. We have nothing like this in Australia.