Jobe

Scenic World/ Orphan Rocker Exploration Video

17 posts in this topic

Great post but PLEASE NOBODY EVEN THINK ABOUT REPEATING THE ACTIONS OF THE GUY IN THE VIDEO. 

If there is any mention of such things we will have to remove this thread. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, T-bone said:

This takes me back to the days when there was someone on here who was obsessed with the counterweight.

Great find Jobe, thanks for sharing.

Hahaha yeah I remember that guy!!! Obsessed isnt the word!!! It was unhealthy!! 

1 hour ago, djrappa said:

Great post but PLEASE NOBODY EVEN THINK ABOUT REPEATING THE ACTIONS OF THE GUY IN THE VIDEO. 

If there is any mention of such things we will have to remove this thread. 

Yeah thanks @djrappa, you are absolutely right. I had meant to post originally that the actions of the guy in the video are not exactly legal- if you view the video there are several instances of trespass which cannot be ignored. Please dont take this as any way shape or form that anyone on these boards condones such actions- play it safe people!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While the story of the Orphan Rocker is an interesting one, the problem with the coaster is that it would more than likely would have failed had it actually opened.

It would have been a world's first attraction, made by a unreputed company who hadn't built a roller coaster before or since. How often do you find successful inhouse built steel roller coasters? Well, needless to say, until the opening of Cannibal at Lagoon in 2015, there weren't any. For very good reason.

You look at some of those transitions on the ride and they make you scratch your head look worse than even the worst Arrow/Vekoma loopers. No doubt it would have been an incredibly rough ride.

At least the concept of the Orphan Rocker is now rideable, and done properly in the form of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/04/2019 at 4:27 PM, Baconjack said:

It would have been a world's first attraction

made by a unreputed company who hadn't built a roller coaster before

How often do you find successful inhouse built steel roller coasters?

Well, needless to say, until the opening of Cannibal at Lagoon in 2015, there weren't any. For very good reason.

Aren't the Matterhorn Bobsleds technically classed as 'built in-house' ?

I mean, I know Arrow are joint collaborators with WED, but it was also Arrow's first coaster, and Disney bought Arrow in 1960 - a year after Matterhorn opened... Sure, they'd contributed to several of the early Disneyland attractions, but it was still a relatively unknown manufacturer, who had never built a coaster before...

So, while I agree with you that you don't find them often, I really need to disagree with you regarding Cannibal being the first - 56 years after Matterhorn opened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/04/2019 at 10:01 PM, 19Michael96 said:

they might as well get rid of what's left.

That comes at a cost, and an unnecessary one at that, which can be better spent on improving the venue with other offerings.

As the space occupied by the infrastructure becomes needed for other things, part of the construction budget can be allocated to remove the old parts occupying those sites, at far less expense than a single, large removal.

I daresay you'd probably have objectors to heavy machinery being moved through some of the lush forest the coaster now resides in too - its grown for years over and around that track, and you'd ruin the area, just for the sake of removing some track which ultimately will simply be reclaimed by the forest.

In 50 years, it'll be as much an attraction as the coal mine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'll open when Sky Voyager opens 😜

Skeletal to me Luna Park and Scenic World are so different they can't be compared.

 

"The Bus is now leaving for Orphan Rock, NSW"

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bussy said:

It'll open when Sky Voyager opens 😜

Skeletal to me Luna Park and Scenic World are so different they can't be compared.

 

"The Bus is now leaving for Orphan Rock, NSW"

 

You can compare them.  One I like to go to while the other not so much.  As a teenager I would have Luna in front.  As a immature Adult I prefer Scenic now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/05/2019 at 10:55 AM, AlexB said:

That comes at a cost, and an unnecessary one at that, which can be better spent on improving the venue with other offerings.

As the space occupied by the infrastructure becomes needed for other things, part of the construction budget can be allocated to remove the old parts occupying those sites, at far less expense than a single, large removal.

I daresay you'd probably have objectors to heavy machinery being moved through some of the lush forest the coaster now resides in too - its grown for years over and around that track, and you'd ruin the area, just for the sake of removing some track which ultimately will simply be reclaimed by the forest.

In 50 years, it'll be as much an attraction as the coal mine...

Well you're not wrong. I just don't like waste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Parkz Crew

    Support Parkz... join the Crew for:

    • Ad-banner free viewing
    • Parkz Crew profile badge
    • Extended editing
    • See who's liked your posts
    • Purchase discounts

    Join Now from $20/yr

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.