New thrill rides: six ways Dreamworld can win back fans

New thrill rides: six ways Dreamworld can win back fans

Dreamworld have said there will be two major ride announcements this year. Ben Roache from OurWorlds gives his ideas for how the theme park can win back fans with world-class thrill rides. The six ideas Ben suggests combine both short term and long term solutions all centre around Dreamworld becoming competitive once again.

Click here to continue reading

• Like 4

Great video. Very unfortunate for Dreamworld that DC Rivals is one of the best rollercoasters in the world. Makes it so much more difficult to build a thrill ride that could compete with DC Rivals. I agree with the falcons fury/giant drop idea. It would be cheap (cheaper than building from the ground up), great for marketing and would defiantly be something new and innovative that would bring back locals. Seems like the best investment in my book.

Thanks Gazza for fixing my English. This is why I usually reply on MacBook and not an iPad.

Edited by Gold Coast Amusement Force

7 hours ago, jjuttp said:

That's highly debatable.

Alright, i'll take the (de)bait. Please - enlighten us as to your thoughts on why DC Rivals doesn't qualify for the title of "one of the best in the world".

I will *cringe* refer to the only current enthusiast authority on coasters since the demise of Mitch Hawkers poll... and refer to *gulp* the TPR 2018 Coaster poll, recently published.

https://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76791&fbclid=IwAR3FFH-aSL85TzOPD00EBP-q0Kpv-svFo8o218Hl1n0GFEKfFnq9X_dGzuc

2018 Top 25 Overall Roller Coasters

1. Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
2. Lightning Rod - Dollywood
3. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
4. Wildfire - Kolmården
5. Maverick - Cedar Point
6. Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City
7. Twisted Timbers - Kings Dominion
8. Medusa Steel Coaster - Six Flags Mexico
9. T Express - Everland
10. Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion
11. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park
12. Soaring with Dragon - Hefei Wanda Theme Park
13. Fury 325 - Carowinds
14. Skyrush - Hersheypark
15. DC Rivals Hypercoaster - Warner Bros. Movie World
16. Millennium Force - Cedar Point
17. Helix - Liseberg
18. Twisted Colossus - Six Flags Magic Mountain
19. Jungle Trailblazer - Oriental Hertiage Wuhu
20. Phoenix - Knoebels Amusement Park and Resort
21. Superman the Ride - Six Flags New England
22. Taron - Phantasialand
23. Twisted Cyclone - Six Flags Over Georgia
24. Hyperion - Energylandia
25. Mega-Lite / Kawasemi / Fly Over Mediterranean / Piraten / Light Speed - Various Parks

Scoring in the top 20, in a world of amazing coasters overseas, combined with the fact that TPR tends to be heavily weighted towards the USA, I think stands on it's own as a great indication of where it sits.

Ben's own words on where DCR stands, and how massive the task is that Dreamworld have to compete with it is also a great indication.

If you exclude the wooden coasters from the poll, DCR actually makes it into the top 10 of steel coasters in the world:

2018 Top 25 Steel Roller Coasters

1. Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
2. Maverick - Cedar Point
3. Twisted Timbers - Kings Dominion
4. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park
5. Medusa Steel Coaster - Six Flags Mexico
6. Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion
7. Mega-Lite / Kawasemi / Fly Over Mediterranean / Piraten / Light Speed - Various Parks
8. Soaring with Dragon - Hefei Wanda Theme Park
9. DC Rivals Hypercoaster - Warner Bros. Movie World
10. Twisted Colossus - Six Flags Magic Mountain

Note also that the weighting given to the 'steel' poll resulted in preferences ranking slightly differently (its explained better in the TPR thread) - but you'll note in the overall ranking that the Mega-Lite ranking in the overall thread falls below DCR, while in the steel-only poll, it ranks above it - yet DCR still came in the top 10.

I will admit, my international exposure to coasters is limited to the USA west coast, Hong Kong and Singapore, so my personal opinion is limited - but coaster junkies and credit whores alike all score DCR highly... so i'm really keen to hear (read) what your reasoning is to cast doubt on what is, in my opinion, an amazing, world class coaster.

Edited by AlexB
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, jjuttp said:

That's highly debatable.

Whilst not a fan of TPR, it did come in at #9 for steel coasters in the world for their Mitch Hawker equivalent poll.

UPDATE: @AlexB and I posted at the same time and also have the same disdain for TPR. Good times.

Appreciate @Richard letting me guest write - so now you know my top 6, what's yours?

Edited by Slick
  • Like 2

Without a doubt an RMC Hybrid has been my pick since Rivals was born.   It would be a mistake for DW to go a steel track because it will be compared with Rivals.  DW also have the problem even without Rivals MW would still have a good line up of coasters where DW’s line up is below par.   DW must give people a reason not to give a shit and overlook the rest of the park to ride that one unique ride.

In the coaster world you couldn’t get more different from a Mack Hypercoaster to a RMC Hybrid and DW needs a point of difference to get people back and not this MW is the thrill park and DW is a family park garbage. 

(Sidenote:  Considering the main Tower was built for the TOT could it “be a possibility” when the TOT becomes unserviceable the tower would have to be removed too resulting in the removal of the drop?).  

30 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

Sidenote:  Considering the main Tower was built for the TOT could it “be a possibility” when the TOT becomes unserviceable the tower would have to be removed too resulting in the removal of the drop?).  

But if it's been well maintained.... hmm, probably no point continuing that line of thinking is there? :mellow:

Edited by red dragin

I really liked Ben’s video because it’s a plan and offers the park a two step process on how to get back on track.

I think Australian parks should still go for that middle ground of attractions that would appeal to most and allow plenty of re-rides. Some rides are just too tall or intimidating for some. Water rides like Bermuda Triangle or Looney Tunes were great because they had theming and some moderate thrills. A lot of recent park extensions, like in Dollywood or Hollywood Studios, offer popular family attractions that have theming and mild thrills.

Coaster-wise it’d be great to see Dreamworld get something that makes the most of its landscape. Could you imagine something like Light Water Valley’s The Ultimate going through the landscape? 

Edited by iwerks
  • Like 1

Great video and a great list of rides!! There is so much sense and logic here that we can all hope that someone with any pull at Ardent or Dreamworld watches this video and takes note.

Unfortunately the Manager's at Dreamworld lately have only been having a very big pull- at the public's expense.

The replacement ride for the Wipeout is the one that's the most puzzling for mine. As Slick effortlessly showed, the Zamperla off the shelf option would have been the easiest fix for the park and would have replaced the Wipeout with an improved , newer like for like ride that the public WOULD have appreciated. If a small park like Luna Park Sydney can replace an aging , popular ride like the Tango Train with another almost identical attraction , keep public sentiment and goodwill, then why the hell cant a large themepark with far more resources like Dreamworld do the same thing?? Its positively inane and really highlights the lack of foresight and experience in running a theme park that the current level of Dreamworld management obviously lack.

Having ridden Manta at Seaworld Orlando I can positively say that a B & M flyer would be a brilliant addition to Dreamworld but as Slick pointed out ,highly unlikely due to the cost. Would be awesome to see one winding around Dreamworld though!

I think one of the Intamin coasters mentioned would be too similar to MovieWorld's offering , as good as they are. The Vekoma options look excellent but an RMC Raptor would be the best choice for Dreamworld , IMHO.  They would be an Australian first, would be clearly  definable as being unique and by all accounts, a great ride. Most importantly, however, they would not be horrendously expensive and should be well in the realms of possibility for Dreamworld to afford.

Does anyone know the difference in prices for an RMC Hybrid versus an RMC Raptor? Also has anyone on the pages actually ridden a Raptor? I would like to hear first hand of the ride experience!

• Like 2

It would definitely be awesome for DW to hold a new world record if they changed the GD to a system like Falcons Fury. But to anyone who has more knowledge at this, would it actually be possible? Is there something particular about the towers structure that wouldn’t make it possible to change the GD? And would this require a complete track change as well, because that could be costly and the park may not see that as worthwhile (I definitely do think it would be)

I would love to see a coaster we haven’t see in Australia before. Two types that come to mind are either a Dive Coaster or a Flying Coaster. Personally I think a Dive Coaster would be the best option for DW and could potentially fit into the Gold Rush theme. There is plenty of land available there and would be very unique.

10 hours ago, Jobe said:

Does anyone know the difference in prices for an RMC Hybrid versus an RMC Raptor? Also has anyone on the pages actually ridden a Raptor? I would like to hear first hand of the ride experience!

HaHaHa I want a RMC Raptor?   Is a Raptor good? 

You should know if you're saying it's the ride to change DW around.

25 minutes ago, Naazon said:

Just curious, as I have no idea, how do you maintain a tower?

Paint it.

1 hour ago, themagician said:

It would definitely be awesome for DW to hold a new world record if they changed the GD to a system like Falcons Fury. But to anyone who has more knowledge at this, would it actually be possible? Is there something particular about the towers structure that wouldn’t make it possible to change the GD? And would this require a complete track change as well, because that could be costly and the park may not see that as worthwhile (I definitely do think it would be)

There was a time where folks thought you couldn't attach drop rides to Superman: Escape from Krypton or Kingda Ka but here we are. Thing is with rides is no two are alike and as such all of the engineers rightfully treat every project as unique which i'm sure Intamin would do with our tower. Even Vekoma Boomerangs are all different - different fabricators, different land, different builders, local environment, weather conditions, different local laws and regulations mean there's enough variables at play that realistically nothing is off the shelf in the same way buying a car in a car lot is.

I have no doubt Intamin would come out and assess the feasibility of a retrofit first before making a call. Towers like Dreamworld's are based off Von Roll's original rough design and have a lifespan of sixty years plus as an observation tower, but i'm pretty confident the Tower of Terror's force over time has done considerable wear and tear to the tower.

• Like 3

On 16/05/2019 at 9:19 AM, Skeeta said:

HaHaHa I want a RMC Raptor?   Is a Raptor good? 

You should know if you're saying it's the ride to change DW around.

On 15/05/2019 at 10:20 PM, Jobe said:

but an RMC Raptor would be the best choice for Dreamworld , IMHO.  They would be an Australian first, would be clearly  definable as being unique and by all accounts, a great ride. Most importantly, however, they would not be horrendously expensive and should be well in the realms of possibility for Dreamworld to afford.

Yeah not exactly what I stated and  I did say that it was in my opinion and then gave reasons for that opinion. I have read a lot of reviews on the RMC Raptor and this has helped formulate said opinion ( hence the "by all accounts , a great ride" statement) 

As I havent seen anyone on these boards stating that they have ridden the two Raptor's in existence, Wonder Woman and Railblazer, I did think it a pertinent question to ask.

Not  100% sure if Slick has ridden one either  ( although I bet it may be likely- for context have you @Slick?) , but you certainly didn't question his choice of ride at being in his list. Just saying

Mind you, if Dreamworld WERE to build an RMC Hybrid, then I , and most likely everyone on this board, would be suitably impressed.

Either way , to reiterate my earlier point, it is a great and logical list.

@JobeThe only thing I agreed on with @Slick's list was his number 1 and I don't care about the rest.  Your No 1. was different but you ruled out Slick's No.1 without knowing what it was.  You nominated a game changing ride for DW without knowing what you ruled out or if the ride you were replacing it with was a world-class thrill ride.  I found that funny and why I did the-

On 16/05/2019 at 9:19 AM, Skeeta said:

HaHaHa

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 4:06 PM, Jobe said:

As I havent seen anyone on these boards stating that they have ridden the two Raptor's in existence, Wonder Woman and Railblazer, I did think it a pertinent question to ask.

I have ridden Railblazer at CGA (I did a trip report on it a few months back). I have included my thoughts on it below.

A Raptor from RMC would be an excellent addition to any of our parks. They are compact (Think GL size footprint), pack a punch with speed, airtime and thrills and, if run properly, soak up decent crowds but also get them through quite quickly. 

RailBlazer 10/10

Brand spanking new RailBlazer. MF has finally been knocked off my number 1 position. This is the future of coasters in my opinion. Compact but once you get off the lift chain this thing does not stop. Fast, intense and the smoothest coaster I have been on in a long time. Massive airtime! This park is worth visiting just for this. Being new the queue was over 2 hours but the staff nailed the reloading and dispatch. One train would go out and the other would come in. Flawless. If you do get there definitely wait for the front seat. It is definitely worth it!

• Like 2

Great coaster to ride @DJKostyabut visually it doesn't compete with Rivals.  When you drive past Rivals on the M1 and it calls you to ride it and that's why I have gone with a RMC Hybrid over a Raptor.  The world has gone silent (as far as I've seen) on a T-Rex model so I don't know if RMC are even interested in building that model. 

1 hour ago, DJKostya said:

I have ridden Railblazer at CGA (I did a trip report on it a few months back). I have included my thoughts on it below.

A Raptor from RMC would be an excellent addition to any of our parks. They are compact (Think GL size footprint), pack a punch with speed, airtime and thrills and, if run properly, soak up decent crowds but also get them through quite quickly. 

RailBlazer 10/10

Brand spanking new RailBlazer. MF has finally been knocked off my number 1 position. This is the future of coasters in my opinion. Compact but once you get off the lift chain this thing does not stop. Fast, intense and the smoothest coaster I have been on in a long time. Massive airtime! This park is worth visiting just for this. Being new the queue was over 2 hours but the staff nailed the reloading and dispatch. One train would go out and the other would come in. Flawless. If you do get there definitely wait for the front seat. It is definitely worth it!

Thanks for the reply and review @DJKostya. Sorry I missed your original trip report- I will hunt it down for a complete look.  

43 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

Great coaster to ride @DJKostyabut visually it doesn't compete with Rivals.  When you drive past Rivals on the M1 and it calls you to ride it and that's why I have gone with a RMC Hybrid over a Raptor.  The world has gone silent (as far as I've seen) on a T-Rex model so I don't know if RMC are even interested in building that model. 

Yeah I cannot disagree with you here Skeeta- the RMC Hybrid would definitely be the more visually stunning vista for Dreamworld. 

Its funny that you mention that there appear to be no plans to build  further Raptors. Both rides are legitimately qualified successes in their own right- not including DJKostya's excellent review- but I have seen many others extolling the fantastic ride that this coaster brings. Perhaps parks are a little reticent due to its low throughput compared to other coaster models? It could also come down to price and perceived bang for buck?

Maybe Dreamworld would be better off signing an exclusive deal with RMC to build both coaster types- with the Raptor coming first and then the larger Hybrid being the cream on the cake......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skeeta said:

Oh I definitely agree that a Raptor has nowhere near the visual impact of a Hybrid but (playing devil's advocate) what it may end up coming down to in the end is value for money. How much CAPEX can they actually spend? If they can get a few CAPEX projects for the same cost as an Hybrid, including a Raptor say, then it may be better to go for the additional attractions rather than 1 big attraction.

That being said there's also nothing to stop Dreamworld from approaching RMC about a T-Rex model either. Not only would that one up Rivals visually but being what is likely to be the first T-Rex model would also generate interest in the park.

• Like 1