Sea World to reveal $50m spend

I'm going to assume these renderings are fairly accurate to the layouts and models that they want to have, since they've already started land clearing.

Based on these animations, the Top Spin looks to be a HUSS 'TOP SPIN SUSPENDED' model with the back-to-back seats.  Which is a great choice.

Based on the supports and the Timberliner train in the video, the wooden coaster will be a Gravity Group model.  Any coaster nerd will tell you that means lots of ejector airtime and great transitions between turns.

If you haven't ridden one of these, and you're turning your nose up at the term 'family coaster', you're in for a pleasant surprise.  Gravity Group build roller coasters that are half this height and still pack a punch in terms of thrills.  This will be a great addition to Sea World and is something that Dreamworld could learn from.

• Like 2

Leviathan is a pretty cool name for a coaster IMO. Can't wait to see what Gravity Group can do with this coaster considering their reputation for fun small woodies. I guess SW have gone with the 'backwards' row after the success of DC Rivals doing the same thing.

These renderings infer the Top Spin will be a standard model and not one with an extra axis of rotation like Wipeout. It looks very similar to a Huss suspended top spin - @HussRainbow87 will be happy if it is one.

At long last SW are making use of the old Pirate Ship spot and the land reserved for Wild. I'm already too excited to wait 18 months for the woodie.

Edited by Baconjack

This is fantastic news for sea world, three great rides a new wipeout at SeaWorld shame on dreamworld for replacing theirs with shade and seating 🙄. A full theme park model of the sky flyer and australia’s First Wooden roller build since wonderland Sydney the beast and beastie. And movie world bring Tom and jerry to the park as characters and studio showcase.

Great news for all except dreamworld they will need to have some big announcement on rides if they will continue to compete for there future.

For those playing at home & reminiscing of the good old Wonderland Days 

Leviathan will be 5m taller and about 25m longer than Bush Beast. 

Given BB remains in my top 5 rides (probably out of virtue of have never having ridden another woodie since), it makes me super excited for Dec 2020. 

Also very interested in watching the ride come together having not seen a woodie constructed before. Anyone know the construction timeframe for a woodie of this size? 

• Like 4

Woodies aren't like a conventional Roller Coaster (such as DC Rivals) in which pieces can just be shipped out and assembled on site. In most cases, Gravity Group will come out to the site and fabricate the track and supports on site, so I'd say that we'll see preparation happening within a few months. Considering that Wicker Man at Alton Towers took around 7 months, I'd say that around 9-10 months before opening is when we'd start seeing timber arrive. 

Can't believe Australia is getting it's first Wooden Coaster though, unbelievable!! I assumed that we would be getting a mid-tier GCI such as Mystic Timbers, but from what I've heard, the Gravity Group does incredible things, and with how far they've come now, I can say we should expect a layout filled to the brim with pops of ejector and floater airtime. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

Woodies aren't like a conventional Roller Coaster (such as DC Rivals) in which pieces can just be shipped out and assembled on site. In most cases, Gravity Group will come out to the site and fabricate the track and supports on site, so I'd say that we'll see preparation happening within a few months. Considering that Wicker Man at Alton Towers took around 7 months, I'd say that around 9-10 months before opening is when we'd start seeing timber arrive. 

Can't believe Australia is getting it's first Wooden Coaster though, unbelievable!! I assumed that we would be getting a mid-tier GCI such as Mystic Timbers, but from what I've heard, the Gravity Group does incredible things, and with how far they've come now, I can say we should expect a layout filled to the brim with pops of ejector and floater airtime. 

We've had a few already. But yeah, happy for a modern woodie being built. 

Also, here's a link to a much larger version of the rendering of the Atlantis Land. 

Edited by Glubbo
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Jordan M. said:

What is the current plan for SW’s entry, from the GCB. Part of the Spit’s master plan now to be called “Gold Coast Ocean Park”

F0E44A5B-6D06-4533-A90F-BC891CCB7FA4.png

How much admin/back-of-house is there in that entry building? It'd make room for some more attractions if the new entry/admin was moved to the broadwater end of the car park.

• Like 2

Properly impressed by this, just shows Village seem to be willing to wait until they can build the “right” investment these days. All three rides are a good fit for the park, the “trident” will likely be a Spit icon, and the theming on Leviathan looks superb - let’s hope the real thing comes close.

Another world-first in the backwards row on a woodie as well, great to see them pushing the envelope when it comes to building unique rides.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, aaronm said:

Properly impressed by this, just shows Village seem to be willing to wait until they can build the “right” investment these days. All three rides are a good fit for the park, the “trident” will likely be a Spit icon, and the theming on Leviathan looks superb - let’s hope the real thing comes close.

Another world-first in the backwards row on a woodie as well, great to see them pushing the envelope when it comes to building unique rides.

Honestly though I am not a fan of the backwards row on this not that it’s a bad.l thing. When it was done on DCR it was a cool because it was a gimmick it had not be done before so it was really cool and unique. I don’t want them to start doing this with multiple coaster cause I feel like it kind of devalues the experiences since it is not unique anymore.

Also its great that this is all going in an all new area for the park and they aren’t taking anything significant out also they still have a few spots to expand the park. such as the top corner were SV was and Viking. 

Even if the don’t demolish VR I hope they at least get rid of the station or something so we don’t end up bad bottlenecks.

My last thing is that the castaway bay of the area is already dead even on crowded days because of where it is with this expansion in the front of the park how will the back do. Hopefully down the line they add something in that corner to pull people to that are in the park.