Star Wars Galaxy Edge - Opening

I too have been watching all this with baited breath for years and to think.. now here we are standing on the precipice.

If you're not up with it all, can I suggest you head over to Miceage, Screamscape, Disne and More, Blooloop etc .. then come back in a few weeks once you have caught up.

It'll do you good.

• Like 1

Surprising to see it featured in mainstream channel 7 news tonight,  but wow how fecking good does it all look? !!

The Animatronic in Smugglers Run Preshow Q area is flawless - I had to point out to my Partner that he is actually a Robot.. SERIOUSLY Super impressive stuff!

Speaking of impressive (SPOILERS AHEAD!) -I love how the MF ride system l consists of 2 giant rotating circles, each with a dozen or so Cockpits that are attached. Passengers board from within the Circles, with the MF Cockpits all facing outward toward the Giant Screen space that expands beyond the tubes that the Gondolas traverse.

Depending on how well the crew go in their mission, the MF is either saved or 'destroyed' as they Exit.

It's apparently pretty hard to take in all the visuals while participating in your active role, which I guess will make the experience highly repeatable.

AND TO THINK, this is considered to be the more 'minor' of the experiences. "Rise of the Resistance" will be an absolute game changer for Disney, let alone the Theme Park Industry so happy to head over once it opens in a few months time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, joz said:

So Smuggler's run is Mission Space with a Star wars theme?

Pretty much sounds like it, except with a result that changes based on guest participation whereas Mission space is just "computer override" -> "congratulations, you made it to mars" if you don't push your button on time. Which does make me wonder what happens in the case of not having a full "crew" for your ride on smugglers run.

From what I have read, that is the main complaint about Smugglers- the ride experience really depends on the effectiveness of the crew and the way you have to position yourself, pressing buttons to your side, while hanging on and looking forward is all pretty jarring on your back. It is probably the single most sophisticated Video Game ever built.

I thought there were 2 but apparently there are 4 separate (circular) systems - each with 7x 6 seat Simulator Cars attached. Early calls are hoping they will modify at least 1 to allow for a more "auto-pilot" style ride experience that would accommodate  People with special needs such as Disabilities and also those too old or too young to otherwise play the game and 'ruin' the experience for others.

Considering how much testing this ride has undergone (months and months) it is going to have some massive teething problems it would seem.

• Like 2

I mean does it really though?

like it will be interesting to see what happens when the excitement wears off and someone goes and does a POV where they just sit and do nothing and it turns out it’s still a good ride experience. 

This is Disney don’t forget, they do tend to have a history of thinking of all these things well in advance and getting it right first go. 

Its an incredible ride system (and one not used outside of FL) so doesn’t surprise (or bother me) that’s it’s been used here. Unlike shoehorning guardians into the ToT ride system. 

The real game game changer will be when the second ride opens. With that and Pirates Shanghai I think Disney really will be able to again lay claim to having the best ride systems in the world. 

For me the the real winner is the droid in the cantina pulling lame Star Tours jokes 👍

• Like 3

The certainly know how to make money siphons, and they've done an awesome job here. I want to buy my own Jedi outfit (even though I already have one), make a lightsaber and make my own droid. I'd spend soooo much money here. Ditching the option of premium economy tickets and blowing it all at Galaxy's Edge. For whenever I go back to the USA (2021 hopefully).

• Like 3