The New Atlantis - Construction Updates

Thanks for the update @colonelbmx. I guess we know that at least this part of Atlantis is going ahead - not that anything about it looks Atlantis-ie mind. Nor can I make out any definitive evidence of Fountains being placed. I hope they at least do that.

Oh and those curvy walls at the back are looking a lot lower than in the graphic. I know they have a long way to go (possibly now till the end of the year) but hope for something a bit more concealed from the Dolphin pools behind. Here's hoping..

An inverting flat ride on the Gold Coast being loosely themed towards a wave?  giphy.gif.df1707a77a42dd0bf5ff74d15943155c.gif

What can I say except "Innovate, don't imitate"...

How is everyone's expectations holding up? A lot like a story in one of Plato's works, mine have sunk significantly since the announcement. Maybe I had my expectations too high? Or maybe when they bill it as a well-themed and immersive land I expect them to actually deliver...

• Like 1

I get the feeling the Atlantis theming will come in time, maybe about 10 years time when everything is overgrown it will look all nice and green and lost in Atlantis.

Curious to know if they have already paid anything towards the coaster itself, last day there there was survey markers around the cleared landscape not sure what for tho, hoping they are already committed to it and its to late to postpone, really looking forward to a decent woodie in Australia again.

5 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

For the coaster? I don’t think there is any chance we have the coaster this year now. The parks won’t open again before August/Sept imo. We’ll get Vortex by xmas. 

I think its safe to say things will get pushed back - what better excuse, right? nobody can hate on them for this kind of delay (we'll ignore that Vortex should have opened before this stuff all happened though right?)

But... Bush Beast went up in around 6 months. I'm sure the complexities and pushed boundaries we see in modern woodies would add extra time, but - a wooden coaster can be built in this time period, assuming construction is permitted to continue (which so far, as an industry - is actually happening).

5 hours ago, Skeeta said:

Yes, we know DW would've had problems getting it installed.   So, my question wasn't why they didn't start the install now but since I was told it was on its way or sitting in quarantine.   Where has it gone or where is it sitting?

For all we know, parts of track are sitting out the back and can't be seen by the public. I would assume they are either still on their way or currently passing the extra quarantine decontamination processes and periods.

19 hours ago, joz said:

Do people think the State Government should be subsidising the construction of both company's coasters, as a way to stimulate both construction and tourism?

Obviously if one of the companies were to hypothetically receive a large fine for some bad shit they did years ago they'd still have to pay that, but outside of that the State Government could kick in say $10million to each. Thoughts?

Considering the Gold Coast tourism industry needs both park operators, they were already investing in building new rides for their markets and this virus was out of their control, I don't have a problem with the government kicking the can a little bit for them like they have with the airlines. 

• Like 2

Theres nothing to subsidise tourism wise while the parks are closed due to federal government restrictions. 

Who is game to guess when they will consider it ok to relax restrictions on entertainment venues while we are on virtual lockdown with them predicting peak infection rates in maybe june or july?

Could literally be months after the peaks occur that they are no longer worried about triggering another wave of infection by allowing mass gatherings again. So theres probably zero point investing anything until there is a recovery date on the horizon.

Supply chains for all industries are so messed up right now. Looking at how much drama we are having getting engineered timber products into the country for builds, weve had to put some jobs back 6 months until the dust settles and we know more about supply issues, freight, interstate movements, etc. Hell even just getting things through council took a major dump with offices being on virtual shutdown and people working from home. And thats frequently a slow process at the best of times when everyone who needs to put their 2 cents in resides in the same building. 

It could legit be 12 months before everything can function as normal again, and thats without any impact the recession is bound to have. All bets are off if it heads into a global depression though as some suppliers/manufacturing may never recover or even reopen, so there are going to be disruptions everywhere. 

Edited by Levithian

On 03/04/2020 at 3:08 PM, Jdude95 said:

For all we know, parts of track are sitting out the back and can't be seen by the public. I would assume they are either still on their way or currently passing the extra quarantine decontamination processes and periods.

I doubt that. Rivals took up almost half the movie world carpark. if track pieces had arrived, they'd be using the carpark (especially since its the closest point to construction they could store that many containers), and we'd have all seen it.

On 03/04/2020 at 5:42 PM, joz said:

Do people think the State Government should be subsidising the construction of both company's coasters, as a way to stimulate both construction and tourism?

Obviously if one of the companies were to hypothetically receive a large fine for some bad shit they did years ago they'd still have to pay that, but outside of that the State Government could kick in say $10million to each. Thoughts?

If there is to be bailouts coming from State gov, the theme parks would be near the top of the list IMO - they're probably one of the large contributors to the state's tourism, and large youth employment to boot.

That said, cue the rest of the state whinging about how the south east gets all the funding, without taking into account the balance of population and\or visitation.

• Gazza locked this topic