The New Atlantis - Construction Updates

According to ~internet statistics~ only 8% of people in Australia have ever been to a Disney park so by that measure you can understand why Australian theme park owners are less concerned about the "theme" aspect of their parks because the bar for impressing the average theme park goer is a lot lower. Not really a great excuse for our parks to slack off but when the competition is so minimal there's probably little reason for any of the parks to spend money on theming.

What we really need in Australia is a new park to come along and completely blow joe public away with attention to detail and immersive experiences that way it'll force the other parks in the country to try a little harder.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cactus_Matt said:

What we really need in Australia is a new park to come along and completely blow joe public away with attention to detail and immersive experiences that way it'll force the other parks in the country to try a little harder.

100%. There is no reason to raise the bar when you set the bar in place in the first place. If VRTP released Atlantis as an entirely themed, immersive, world-class experience then it'd cause the rest of their property to suffer or feel dated so they almost have no incentive to do anything extraordinary especially when their primary goal is to satisfy shareholders. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CaptainLazerGuns said:

100%. There is no reason to raise the bar when you set the bar in place in the first place. If VRTP released Atlantis as an entirely themed, immersive, world-class experience then it'd cause the rest of their property to suffer or feel dated so they almost have no incentive to do anything extraordinary especially when their primary goal is to satisfy shareholders. 

Also, every other future works will need the same level of detail increasing future costs.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2020 at 3:36 AM, T-bone said:

This also looks pretty awesome (attached pics) IMO modern architecture has no place In a theme park. Theme parks are supposed to transport you away from the world you live in, modern architecture such as what we see here (and there are plenty of other examples in our parks) doesn’t do that and only cheapens the whole experience.

So whilst Vortex looks neat and tidy, it doesn’t take me anywhere other than my local Westfield. It worries me that this is the standard for the rest of the new Atlantis, but we will see what happens. 

5BD49E6A-C54C-4017-8B5D-9102B2F4425A.jpeg

3BC00BDC-998D-4493-90A2-A9FE32DA586A.jpeg

BC0D53E4-80A9-4ED4-B612-C442FF433BF5.jpeg

Perfectly summed up!

• Like 1

I'm actually really surprised that they managed to get in the country this year. Europe is absolutely falling apart at the moment in terms of COVID and its wild that ride engineers are considered an essential service worth the risk of bringing them over. Definitely good news for the theme park community though.

1 hour ago, colonelbmx said:

There was 8 suits in, around and under vortex today, 2 I’ve seen on site before the other 6 looked like new faces 

Well that’s odd because there’s only one person working at the company that I know still wears a suit. 

On 15/10/2020 at 5:27 PM, CaptainLazerGuns said:

its wild that ride engineers are considered an essential service worth the risk of bringing them over.

A new, multi-million dollar piece of plant and equipment has been installed, and needs to be commissioned by the manufacturer before the purchaser can begin to operate it as part of their business.

If this were the manufacturing industry, it'd be a no-brainer. While the leisure industry certainly doesn't appear as an 'essential service' - at the end of the day, its still an industry, has staff and customers wanting their product, and nobody, no matter the industry, would be happy at spending that sort of coin, having their sparkly new machine sit and rot because their industry wasn't deemed as important as another.

All very good points @Slick - i for one am just happy Village is actually doing construction updates rather than pretending "nothing is behind the curtain" as they did with rivals.

TO add to that, this also builds on the 'our theme parks are your theme parks' hook by reusing Kirby as the face of the 'family' company as we've discussed recently. This time of course he introduces himself and his position instead of a hurriedly added subtitle like the last video too.

Unkle Clark will be a fairweather indication for village as they transition to the new owners, and the consistency is reassuring.

(I just wish Clark didn't look like he'd snorted a bag of cocaine before the shoot - how much powder is on his face? Did he just come from shooting a fright nights video with ghost makeup or what?)

• Gazza locked this topic