The New Atlantis - Construction Updates

12 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

I freaking love it. The graphics are great, and considering the fact it's Village Roadshow, the whole cinematic vibe makes sense. The drama!

I totally agree with @GoGoBoy. It literal gave me goosebumps I think it accomplishes everything it needs too. It’s exciting and shows all the info it needs. I forwarded to my friend who’s aren’t into SeaWorld and it hyped them up so much. They are now excited to visit once it’s all open. I do get what your saying @rappa but I think it’s great.

• Like 2

The look of the precinct when you enter the parks gates is just going to look amazing from looking at this picture

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 4.31.17 pm.png

but it also seems to show a lot of those archways 

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 4.35.47 pm.png

but does anyone know what could be the thing in the middle of leviathan, Is it possibly queueing

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 4.36.11 pm.png

Edited by Coasterlife
  • Like 4

On 04/12/2020 at 4:53 PM, Slick said:

Something something generic movie trailer music. 

It’s kinda weird content. It’s not sure if it wants to be a tvc or social content, and kinda does neither well as a result. If they were to take social media seriously, they wouldn’t be using YouTube to inconsistently drop content that doesn’t serve that audience. 

I’d spend less time on vanity junk like over-polished shots and more time just doing stuff that the audience really wants like POV’s. Perfect doesn’t matter anymore, consistency and authenticity wins out.

Gate-keeping knowledge for the sake of mystery and hype-building is a dead tradition, so it’s really, really great to see we’re taking massive leaps and strides from the Rivals launch campaign and openly updating folks on what’s coming next.

Its a social media ad and I think you're off the mark. Its a solid video showing what to expect. You don't need POV for 2 of the 3 rides tbh.

Uploading to YouTube is weird though. YouTube is more suited to longer format say 3min+

You're not. Because its your opinion.

I only had an opportunity to view this this afternoon. I found it a little weird, but overall, I liked the imagery and message it presented.

I don't think the 'audience' specifically "wants" a POV. Most of the 'audience' wouldn't even know what 'POV' was. This video tells me there's three new rides coming to sea world, they're part of a new land, and they look pretty cool. And i'm sure that the majority of the GP (other than those who say "why are they making it out of wood? so old. what a death trap!") would go 'cool. maybe we need to go to sea world soon.

Respect to your opinion @Slick, but i'm not sure you can look at material like this without a content creator's critical eye anymore and just see it the way a normie would.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slick said:

How am I off the mark?

Alex has pretty much got it. Obviously, you as a creator (and a good one) have your own opinions and thats cool, but to the GP, and for a Social Media only content, this video hits the mark almost perfectly. Its short, to the point and captivating with good imagery.

As pointed out already, uploading to YouTube is a weird choice, but maybe it will also be used as a pre-roll/mid-roll ad on YouTube? The video is obviously on Facebook and I don't use it, but assume Instagram also.

POV would only be effective for the rollercoaster but the general public wouldn't care a whole lot about that. Not saying they shouldn't make one, but when they do, thats what should be YouTube content and if done well and tastefully they promote the other 2 rides in the area, making it a long form video which has a greater reach with the YouTube algorithms.

PS, totally wasn't me that reacted to you. Discussion is healthy and shouldn't be frowned upon.

Edited by Naazon
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, AlexB said:

Respect to your opinion @Slick, but i'm not sure you can look at material like this without a content creator's critical eye anymore and just see it the way a normie would.

The very reason why I have a career is founded on the fact that I create content for audiences. If you don't understand what your audience wants, you fail. 🤷🏻‍♂️

5 hours ago, AlexB said:

I don't think the 'audience' specifically "wants" a POV. Most of the 'audience' wouldn't even know what 'POV' was. This video tells me there's three new rides coming to sea world, they're part of a new land, and they look pretty cool. And i'm sure that the majority of the GP (other than those who say "why are they making it out of wood? so old. what a death trap!") would go 'cool. maybe we need to go to sea world soon.

LPS recently announced a coaster. It got global attention because they dropped the POV. The most successful coaster videos online are POV's. The data is irrefutable. It's not just enthusiasts. Real world people don't care about "x-brand's journey", they care about how it matters to their "journey." LPS got more attention with a smaller budget and with less glitz and glam simply by being more transparent and more authentic in their comms. They didn't say "it'll be the world's super duper mega best ever precinct" they just let the product do the talking, and it worked. Fundamentally, this is why this video didn't work. It focusses far too much on the Atlantis brand and not enough on why it matters to their guests. This'd totally work if it was an IP that people already resonated with, like anything DC or WB, but it doesn't work for fresh brands unless you throw wads of cash at it.

2 hours ago, Gazza said:

thought stuff just went on YouTube because you can. 🤷‍♀️

That's Vimeo today. Short, inconsistently posted videos kill a channel's chances at ever getting love by YouTube's algorithm. This is why both Dreamworld and VRTP have bugger all subs. If you want to build an audience that is invested in what you do and share what you do, you need to first give them a reason to be invested, and being a big brand isn't a good enough reason anymore and hasn't been for five years now. Again, if you don't make stuff that matters to that channel's audience, it won't succeed. Even video ratios, video lengths, etc. etc. all matter.

4 hours ago, Naazon said:

PS, totally wasn't me that reacted to you. Discussion is healthy and shouldn't be frowned upon.

All good, some people love it and that's great. The criticism isn't to deride Village - there's some brilliant people at both Village at Dreamworld. Like any discussion here we all ultimately want the same thing - for our parks to be their best. As I mentioned, Village are definitely improving, other bits of content they've done recently have been bloody bang on, and overall it's been an order of magnitude better than the Rivals campaign.

Edited by Slick

5 minutes ago, Slick said:

LPS recently announced a coaster. It got global attention because they dropped the POV. The most successful coaster videos online are POV's. The data is irrefutable. It's not just enthusiasts.

Just look at what they did for Rivals, that was an awesome video 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AlexB said:
On 05/12/2020 at 3:34 PM, Coasterlife said:

The look of the precinct when you enter the parks gates is just going to look amazing from looking at this picture

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 4.31.17 pm.png

Yeah, um - a couple issues with that....

5609F20B-730C-472B-9624-17FD79C60FA3.thu

Guy kinda has a point here 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, themagician said:

Just look at what they did for Rivals, that was an awesome video 

I was rather disappointed with the way MW handled the rollout of Rivals in terms of Social Media marketing. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t recall any construction videos or similar content. The hype I saw was all here on Parkz. 

Once opened we got two jerky POV’s. Compare that with the promo vid for Flash which cut between POV, drone shots, riders faces, offride footage etc and got me fired up for a coaster I’ll likely never ride. Of course I love a straight POV, but I think MW could have done a better job promoting such a huge investment. 

@RabbiJody we all were. We didn’t hear anything from them until 3-4 months before it opened. Once they did announce something, they did some video updates (one which included the worlds smallest microphone). And eventually they did release the video I’m referring to (which I believe is still played in the rides queue).

It was said that the reason why we didn’t hear anything for so long was because they had to change all the branding and marketing for the ride. It was apparently supposed to be related to Suicide Squad, but that name was scrapped after the DW incident. And unfortunately, it took some time for them to come up with a new name, brand and marketing for it all

• Like 2

1 hour ago, themagician said:

it took some time for them to come up with a new name, brand and marketing for it all

Honestly the brand and name sucks. The work experience kid could have come up with a better theme sitting on the shitter scrolling through the 'Gram.

Nothing's ever been confirmed about the suicide squad theme, but i think we're as close to confirming it as we'll ever get. The joker head is an awesome fixture, and the position of the coaster grabs attention. But nobody in the park that i've ever heard has called if DCRH or any variant - its always 'joker coaster' (or just 'rivals' amongst enthusiasts) and its a missed opportunity and a weird one at that.

I heard that the BGH takeover has been voted in - maybe we'll see some changes at Village parks moving forward... Maybe DCR can be rethemed \ renamed just a little. keep the joker, but lose the rest of the gang and make it more like what Arkham was. Get The Hamill to do some new voices for the station and have at it.

• Like 1

• Gazza locked this topic