The New Atlantis - Construction Updates

Trident will take only days to construct. 

Landscaping likewise can be done quickly - I've read stories of Disney World executives, office workers, wives and family members out treading sod into the ground the day before the press-opening of the Contemporary. 

"Green side up!"

The main thing we need to see happen is Leviathan needs to cycle. At Wonderland, Bush Beast was cycled through the night to reach it's manufacturer spec'd minimum cycle time to open to guests. Once we see cycles, it won't be long.

If we assume they will open on Easter weekend, that is less than 10 weeks away. 

I know it’s different depending on the ride manufacturer, but for comparison, ST did consistent testing for about 6-8 weeks. So let’s hope we see testing begin by the end of the month at the latest. We have already seen the queue shade structure was installed, so it’s signage, planting, queue rails and other theming. 

Trident will probably only take a week to construct (providing weather permits) once the foundations are done and ready. Then it’s the queue, theming and testing. I’d say there will be a couple weeks of testing.

So based off this, they will be on track to open this Easter providing testing of Leviathan begins very soon. 

1 hour ago, themagician said:

If we assume they will open on Easter weekend, that is less than 10 weeks away. 

Unlike previous years however, the Easter long weekend is the last 4 days of the school holidays, with kids back to school on the Tuesday.

It makes little sense to launch for that weekend imo… they either launch 2 weeks earlier at the start of the holidays to maximise on attendance, or may as well hold off for June holidays… 

I think they've probably backed themselves into a corner committing to Easter. It's a shame the themeing isn't further along because it just doesn't have the 'it'll all be completed vibe'. Does make you wonder if there's a bit of major work to happen before some stuff goes in?

It'll be a shame if it opens late, or it opens unfinished, but tbh as a betting man you'd think one of those two outcomes will be the way it goes.

• Like 1

I’d rather it opened late. We’ve already waited this long, a few more months won’t hurt. And it’s much better to have a completed product you’re proud of than announcing it’s open and it’s not anything like what you want. And if it’s open unfinished, when will they complete it, if they even bother doing so. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, joz said:

I agree. I'm not sure the public would though 

Underpromise and overdeliver.

The thing that baffles me is that I swear our parks have this backwards because constantly they overpromise and underdeliver.

Honestly I would much prefer them to take their time and make it right by saying 'Coming 2022' and then they could easily drop it mid-year with no hassle but it also gives them the option to drop it later without annoying everybody. I do get the idea that if they keep on pushing it back in increments then there are people who will book a holiday for each season in hopes of experiencing the attraction but I'd imagine that's not a great way to keep your guests happy. 

• Like 5

On 7/2/2022 at 3:17 PM, Gazza said:

Surprised for such a major coaster opening in a couple of months time that they haven't even released the rendered POV.

Tbf, Village said nothing about Rivals layout wise until 3 months out from opening, and that wasn’t even a rendered POV, just an edited video. Until then we had people guessing off track, supports and footings (which were generally pretty accurate).

But surely you’d have something up by now, especially when the layout is sitting there completed? Nearly every major coaster build in America gets an animated POV six months to even a year out from opening.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Baconjack said:

Nearly every major coaster build in America gets an animated POV six months to even a year out from opening.

To be fair, there's a lot more competition out there that they have to compete hard to convince people to choose their park over the hundreds of others they could go to - so the extra marketing is needed.

The GC parks have long learned the arrogance of being the only "real" option for Aussies (yes, other regional parks are out there but rarely are they the 'reason' for the trip - just a 'do while we're there' in most cases), so they don't have to compete as much - Honestly I think the only reason we got the Rivals video we did was because an enthusiast did a hell of a job and village went - "WOW - we should pay him" otherwise I doubt we'd have gotten the rivals one either.

• Like 4

The market is also different. In America, those early renderings/POVs are there to get you to renew your season pass as early as possible. The same isn't applicable in Australia in the same way. Back when it was VIP passes which all expired on June 30, it would have made sense to release an announcement/POV late May, early June for something opening in December to get renewals happening. In Australia, I don't think it makes much sense to announce something more than 1 holiday season out. I know the passes are still a big part of the ticketing mix, but marketing should be about why you should visit NOW, not why you should visit in 6 months.

• Like 2

• Gazza locked this topic