Aussie World’s SX360 Eventual Opening

strop

32 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Obviously, I don't know all the details of the new code. But it is kinda obvious that's where some of the issues have stemmed from. When you look at this case they started building. Got the job done then it seemed issues have arisen due to changes in the code. I am sure someone here would be much closer to the situation than myself.

Sure the signing of the process can take a while (I have witnessed this first hand in this industry) but I think the changes in the code really hit DW at a bad time. Same goes here for AW.

The rumour goes DW’S new project team (that DW splashed all over the news) was sacked in Jan/Feb because of the colostomy bag of stuff ups?

Apparently, it’s not a good idea to hire a project manager who hasn’t managed a building project before.  Go figure.

43 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

You wouldn't dismiss the project team before the job was finished if the team was doing a great job.

indeed that statement is very true. But obviously, that and some rules changes haven't really helped SV. Sure SX360 has suffered from the rule changes but I can handle that as much as the park would be. Time will tell when this attraction along with the new coaster will open.

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, ParkerJ said:

I've heard this ride is fully functioning and staff have been on it for training/testing. Seems it's not far away from opening. 

Hi @ParkerJ,

We are getting closer to opening Sky Voyager SX360 and the ride is currently going through the final approval processes necessary to begin operating. It is sure to open.... in the coming weeks.

Excellent!!! Will be visiting this park in January so looking forward to returning!! Haven't been there for 7 years- will certainly miss the Wild Mouse coaster they used to have!! Looking forward to seeing all the improvements that have been made since then and of course the opening of the SX360. Their new spinning Wild Mouse coaster, will , unfortunately, be open mid to late next year. 

• Like 1

Whilst we are awaiting the opening of the SX360, I found an article on the Octopus accident at Aussie World that led to its removal and subsequent replacement by the Wasp ride. Aussie World were certainly lucky in this incident that no one was seriously injured and their good safety record set them in good stead. Of course , this was just before the Dreamworld TRR incident, and it would be interesting to see how this incident would have been dealt with in the aftermath of that tragic event.  Certainly the delay in  commissioning of the SX360 has its roots tied in with the TRR findings and safety overhauls of the amusement park industry in Qld following the incident.

The link to the article is here.

https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/aussie-world-cops-25k-fine-after-ride-car-breaks-l/3065602/

Aussie World cops $25K fine after ride car breaks loose

21st Jul 2016 6:46 PM | Updated: 22nd Jul 2016 5:46 AM

AUSSIE World has been fined $25,000 after a carriage holding two teenagers broke free on the Octopus ride while it was running.

The theme park's operators Timevale Pty Ltd pleaded guilty in Maroochydore Magistrates Court on Thursday to failing to comply with health and safety duty.

Their strong safety record and the significant efforts made in the 15 months since the incident to improve the park was looked on favourably in sentencing.

Improvement efforts have included spending about $650,000 on new expert staff, ride upgrades and training procedures.

An 18-year-old woman suffered a cut to her forehead and an 18 year-old man was uninjured when their car-shaped carriage broke free about 3.20pm on April 7 last year.

It separated from the ride's arm about a minute into the ride and dropped to the ground, skidding about six metres before coming to a rest among other moving cars.

Both occupants were still secured inside.

Magistrate Annette Hennessy noted it was fortunate the carriage was quite close to the ground when it separated.

The court heard the ride had been purchased from Luna Park in New South Wales in 2002.

An agreed statement of facts tendered to the court said an Aussie World ride technician had carried out a maintenance check on the Octopus on the day of the crash and that nothing of note was reported.

Defence barrister Andrew O'Brien said the cause of the incident was not something addressed in the manufacturer's maintenance manual.

Mr O'Brien said the manual did not alert Timevale to the need to tighten concealed bolts on the ride's arm.

He said external engineers had also not alerted the company to the need to tighten the bolts.

A report from December last year by a senior Workplace Health and Safety mechanical advisor said it was likely that tapped threads could have been damaged as a result of insufficient tightening of the screws, which catastrophically failed after a hexagon screw broke.

The ride has since been removed and replaced with another.

Timevale's full cooperation with the Workplace Health and Safety investigation and early plea of guilty went in their favour.

The court also heard Timevale or its parent company, Presida Group, had not previously faced a prosecution of any kind, with Timevale having run Aussie World since 1995.

Timevale also already had considerable maintenance measures in place, including a dedicated eight-person team as well as daily, weekly, monthly and annual ride inspections.

Ms Hennessy noted the significant changes in ride maintenance but noted that was not to say the previous procedures were insufficient.

Timevale was fined $25,000 and ordered to pay a further $1079.40 in legal and administration costs.

Aussie World Chief Operating Officer Aaron Flanagan issued a statement after the sentence.

"Aussie World has proudly maintained an impeccable safety record over its 26 year history," it read.

"Whilst it is regrettable that this incident occurred some 15 months ago, it was acknowledged today that Aussie World had a comprehensive maintenance regime in place, undertook extensive engineering testing annually, conducted independent engineering inspections and maintained quality operator training systems. 

"It was also accepted that the fault that lead to the mechanical failure was not addressed in the manufacturers ride manual. 

"Over the last year we have invested significantly in people, systems and ride refurbishment programs which today was positively recognised by the authorities. 

"We are focused on developing a best in class theme park for the Sunshine Coast. 

"Two brand new rides have been purchased recently and we are currently in discussions to buy additional new rides to enhance the family entertainment experience."  

No conviction was recorded.

Improvements since the crash have included:

- Restructure to the technical services department to create a specific, dedicated rides engineering department

- Recruitment of an internationally experienced rides engineer manager

- Recruitment of a new rides engineer supervisor

- Refurbishment of four major rides

- Recruitment of a new independent engineer to undertake annual ride inspections

- Additional workplace health and safety training for managers and ride engineering staff

- New workplace health and safety management system with annual audits.

On 10/09/2019 at 4:49 PM, AlexB said:

Hi @ParkerJ,

We are getting closer to opening Sky Voyager SX360 and the ride is currently going through the final approval processes necessary to begin operating. It is sure to open.... in the coming weeks.

The processes involved in getting new rides commissioned have become far more complicated since the DW incident and it appears that the rules keep evolving and there's not a clear process anymore.  Certainly makes parks rethink future investment.

• 3 months later...

It’s been listed as ‘opening soon’ on the website for a little while now (I think I first noticed it about a month ago). 

It was briefly advertised as being opened for their Halloween event, but that went quiet and obviously didn’t eventuate.

It is conspicuously absent from their Summer marketing so I would guess they aren’t willing to bet on a date either.

We are keen to visit but will probably hold out until we finally get the SX360.

13 hours ago, strop said:

It’s been listed as ‘opening soon’ on the website for a little while now (I think I first noticed it about a month ago). 

It was briefly advertised as being opened for their Halloween event, but that went quiet and obviously didn’t eventuate.

It is conspicuously absent from their Summer marketing so I would guess they aren’t willing to bet on a date either.

We are keen to visit but will probably hold out until we finally get the SX360.

It’s been listed opening soon on there website since March and we are still waiting 

• 3 weeks later...

So have contacted Aussie World regarding the SX360 and it will not be open anytime soon, according to the info I received. I will be visiting the park in the next 2 weeks and they certainly indicated that the ride will NOT be open within this timeframe. This is taking an monumentally large amount of time and despite the "it takes a long time to commision a comlex ride at times" spin from the park, it appears that SOMETHING is holding up the long stagnating official opening.

Would anyone care to speculate just exactly what is holding up this ride? Does anyone feel that it is a fault with the ride or the installation or is it just the due process that needs to now occur in the wake of the TRR tragedy by the state government assessors?

We will still be visiting the park and will provide a full trip report , its just a shame that we willl not be able to include any ride experiences from the SX360.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djrappa said:

I would say they bought the ride prior to changes in requirements for safety systems and now have to try and go through a whole bunch of hoops to bring up the ride they’ve brought to meet the new requirements. 

From what I'm aware, the ride was ordered and organised right before the new changes came into play. AW has been scrambling since.
Someone on here might have a more concrete answer but this is coming from my days on PCL when we were in talks with the park about their upcoming plethora of rides that was planned.

• Like 1