Tower of Terror 2 closing

• Gazza changed the title to Tower of Terror 2 closing
24 minutes ago, Prequel said:

I hope they leave some sort of statue or plaque behind for the Tower of Terror II (and the first one i suppose), sad seeing it go.

The tower will still remain with most likely half of the track still running down it, so I see that as a pretty good reminder of what was one of the fastest coasters in the world. 😁🤙🏼

23 minutes ago, jjuttp said:

Wouldn't it have been smarter to wait until after the summer holidays to close it?

Can only assume that the increase unreliability and cost to keep it up or maintained effectively outweigh the benefits of keeping it for the summer peak.

to be it seems the dripping tap of money/resources being poured in to keep it working has dried up

Just now, Jakev8 said:

The tower will still remain with most likely half of the track still running down it, so I see that as a pretty good reminder of what was one of the fastest coasters in the world. 😁🤙🏼

I hope they don’t leave any track running down it, not long term anyway. Next major maintenance period for GD should see that removed 

29 minutes ago, Rabbit2014 said:

Well there goes another of the big 9 Thrill rides, I hope another ride is planned for that area in the future even know it is a small and narrow space. 

From what I have heard, and Parkz has just posted, the station area will be cleared to makeway for a connected area between Dreamworks and ABC 4 Kids. 

• Like 2

Hopefully now they can have a more reliable ride selection. Wipeout and TOT 2 were the most unreliable rides and now that they are gone, maintenance should be easier for Dreamworld and their pockets won't be bleeding trying to keep the rides running. Although, they are going to need planned investments continuing from what has been announced so far. This is a massive loss for Dreamworld however and was arguably the most iconic ride in Australia and will defiantly have a negative impact on the park for the time being, especially so soon after Wipeout's closure.

• Like 1

ThirstyYellowAmericanquarterhorse-size_restricted.thumb.gif.410aa888072c31e87a11881f2d3eafe1.gif

Well that sucks. I dont get to make it to DW in time. Still at least we got some notice. This should have been announced at the time of the 2018 results or should have closed much closer to the opening of the Mack Blue Fire clone. I'm assuming DW finally threw in the towel if they closed the ride this early and wanted to extend the ride's life to January at the latest. Now they'll have a peak season with yet another thrill ride down and it is going to sting the main park considerably, at least they'll have most of WWW done and Fully 6 up to distract the guests. I said some time ago TOT's closing is a PR disaster waiting to happen, and they have handled it actually pretty well for Gold Coast park standards. Still, it's only a week, and wasnt anywhere near as much notice as let's say Vortex at Kings Island, but it's something.

Either way good riddance. Never ran as well as it did when it ran forward. Now it is time to look into that Falcon's Fury conversion to GD.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

I hope they don’t leave any track running down it, not long term anyway. Next major maintenance period for GD should see that removed 

True I'm actually really curious on what type of Crane will be needed than to pull the track down on the side of the tower, or can they erect a pulley system on the top to lower piece by piece. Cause don't most on road cranes max boom out at around the 60-70 m mark and the last section of track would be around the 110m? 😁🤙🏼

I would love to see intamin refit Giant Drop to a sky jump drop tower like Falcons Fury now that TOT is going. GD has definitely had reliability issues aswell, with only one side working for a long period of time. So I wonder if the tower is capable from an engineering standpoint to support the gyro version. Unlikely, but I would prefer dreamworld spent the money to save the iconic tower and GD than see it suffer a similar fate in 5 years or so. 

edit: just noticed someone has already mentioned this in this thread

Edited by ejpdtd

Instead of replacing the current Giant Drop gondolas, what if you kept them and added a forward tipping gondola to the side if the tower replacing the TOT track? You would get a Falcons Fury style experience and that way guests have a choice of how thrilling they want their drop experience

Edited by yaark
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sarahscott said:

I said to a staff member last night that I wanted to be the very last person to ride it and he turned around and said not sure why you would want to be that one "we aren't spending anymore money on this ride, wheels may have fallen off by then" 

Edited by Slick