Tower of Terror 2 closing

I would not be surprised at all if the vertical track is not removed. Excuse my potential ignorance, but I would imagine doing so would require re-certification of GD given that any significant work on the tower would need to be inspected, approved for GD to operate due to potential structural engineering implications. 

would be much simpler for them to remove the horizontal track without touching the tower. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

If one was to look at the tower it’s recently been completely X-Rayed and inspected, you can tell by all the blue marks all over the tower. 

Is it so much for us to ask our parks to repaint over NDT areas after they are completed so our rides don’t have these splotches all over them?

• Like 1

The real fun will be riding GD post TOT track removal. It wont have a giant anchor on one side any more and you'll get that fun 400ft tower sway.

As for the actual removal, as Tim said, it will just be unbolted and lowered to the ground. I'm also pretty sure that it's already been stated a few times but the track removal would most likely be done during the new coaster construction. They will bring in a couple large cranes to shift track/support pieces around and also remove the track from the tower. It would just be financially ridiculous to not dual utilise the cranes and downtime of that whole section of the park.

Once the holidays are over (in the next week or two) we'll probably see a massive ramp up of activity around the coaster site as earthworks begin and footers/footings/footerings begin to be formed. Which means shipping containers from Mack hopefully shouldn't be too far away either. Once those start arriving on site, that's when I would expect work to be starting/have started on the TOT track.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

[snip]
Once the holidays are over (in the next week or two) we'll probably see a massive ramp up of activity around the coaster site as earthworks begin and footers/footings/footerings begin to be formed. Which means shipping containers from Mack hopefully shouldn't be too far away either. Once those start arriving on site, that's when I would expect work to be starting/have started on the TOT track.

I suspect that the new coaster side still needs a lot of groundwork prep. The last pics I've seen of the site show a hillside, and the coaster POV shows a fairly flat footprint. Will trees closer to Blue Lagoon/Train Line need removal?

44 minutes ago, Whombex said:

I suspect that the new coaster side still needs a lot of groundwork prep. The last pics I've seen of the site show a hillside, and the coaster POV shows a fairly flat footprint. Will trees closer to Blue Lagoon/Train Line need removal?

I did mention "as earthworks begin". It could be 12 months worth of earthworks but it should still be ramping up soon, e.g. machinery arriving and actually starting to prep the land for the footers to go down.
It's possible that some trees may have to be removed but at the same time my understanding is that the GD pathway mess will be cleared up around this time too so I'd assume that whole area will just be closed off for a few months.

It is laughable to think that the ToT track in any way provided stability to the tower.

The tower, as constructed, was built to support the track, not the other way around.

All anyone has to do is take a look at the many intamin second generation drop rides to see that these towers stand on their own.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AlexB said:

It is laughable to think that the ToT track in any way provided stability to the tower.

The tower, as constructed, was built to support the track, not the other way around.

All anyone has to do is take a look at the many intamin second generation drop rides to see that these towers stand on their own.

There would be an obvious gravitational pull towards the side of the tower with the track, but as you have said there is no way that removing said track would effect the stability of the tower. The tower would have had to have been constructed in such a way as to survive cyclone seasons, like how steel Dragon at Nagashima was, and look i'm no expert but I'd say if it managed to endure Larry and Yasi that removing the track wouldn't have much of an on effect the structural integrity of the tower. Needless to say that the tower should go through a scrutinous structural and engineering review process before and after removal.

10 minutes ago, themagician said:

@Adventures With JWorld what part of MDMC is that? I can’t figure out where that is 

image.thumb.png.be2ad54a28c5e6927a58853d99d557c2.png

Judging by the yellow 'above head height' boards, and the flooring colour change, its probably somewhere near that arrow.

55 minutes ago, Adventures With JWorld said:

Right near Motocoaster this is all fenced off presumably easier access for the deconstruction process  94568568-08C0-4172-BE38-85989D9E1605.thumb.jpeg.b33308e2e81ec2f774abbb6572e99cf1.jpeg

• Like 1