Tower of Terror 2 closing

1 minute ago, Skeeta said:

No.  You know I don't.

You're right, you don't. Unlike my family member who does work there and knows first hand what the current extra quarantine measures are doing to their average turnarounds due to these extra measures being taken at nearly every single port around the world. That tends to cause some delays when you've got boats making 10 other stops before even reaching Australia.

OK I will put your 2nd hand knowledge with @Greg MIB 2nd hand knowledge and put it aside while we wait for some 1st hand knowledge.

Is talking to the MIB 2nd or 3rd hand knowledge?  Might even be 4th hand knowledge.  Who knows.

So how many hands of knowledge did we get with SV or Vortex?  🤣

Edited by Skeeta

I think it's fair to say all cargo will be experiencing delays, due to processing and quarantine and inspection requirements. I'm pretty certain, if I read back over this thread, that both Skeet and Jdude agree on that.

I think the difference of opinion here, is that Jdude's original wording suggested that actual track pieces would be subjected to additional quarantine and inspection requirements, which would delay them upon arrival, but I'm not sure that was what he intended to suggest, but I think thats probably the pedantry that i'd be fussing over here, and it seems like Skeet might be insisting on those specifics as well.

End of the day, it's at least arguable that the coaster parts will experience some delivery delays due to all of the shitfuck nonsense going on right now, and you should all be thankful that our toilet paper is made locally because there's a lot of shit in here to clean up.

• Like 2

Agreed, for all intents and purposes, "delays at ports" and "increased inspections" are really just two sides of the same coin. I dunno why you would split hairs over the difference. It's a weird hill to die on.

Even if the coaster track isn't undergoing increased inspections and gets waved through, its still stuck in line behind the stuff that is?

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 4

On 12/03/2020 at 2:15 PM, Jdude95 said:

Because I have spoken to the company who are currently waiting for these containers to arrive that have been delayed because of the extra quarantine process.

You don't have to believe the truth. It's not my fault if you do a dumb and believe whatever you want.

I have a customer who regularly comes in that works at the port of Brisbane, and has been saying that he hasn't worked in 2 weeks because containers just aren't coming in (im assuming he didn't mean not coming in altogether, but at a less frequent rate). So yeah either more quarantine or just nothing coming from china is believable imo.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

What was the actual reason for Tower of Terror closing? 

I noticed the other day Intamin are still advertising the reverse freefall coaster as being a product they sell and support on their website. They even have a new style of the ride, check out Turbo Track at Ferrari World. 

Is there any reason other than Dreamworld being Dreamworld that they couldn’t have bought Intamin in to retrofit the ride for the next generation?

3 hours ago, Will S said:

I vote keep the tunnel and use it as a launch run for a new strata coaster that goes up and over the giant drop tower like King da ka or top thrill dragster. Now that would be an awesome addition.

Couple of issues:

1. Even if they did go for this (why would they?) they would still need to remove the tunnel to install the new track, so they tunnel would need to be demolished anyway.

2. Intamin don't sell hydraulic launched coasters anymore, LSM's of that caliber would cost more to operate in power consumption than TOT did.

3. For them to get the longest life (and best ROI) out of a new ride, it'd be in their best interest to build a completely new structure, as you don't want to have to factor in the replacement of the tower in 10 (or whenever) years time when it reaches the end of its serviceable life. The track location was always an issue in the middle of the park so they'd be better off relocating it to the edge of the park if they could.

2 minutes ago, TimmyG said:

What was the actual reason for Tower of Terror closing? 

"To make way for new attractions" was the official reason wasn't it? Though I've heard the following reasons mentioned:

• Power costs to run
  • Upkeep costs
  • Age of ride
  • Dwindling ridership
  • Location in the park
  • Noise

When you think about it, it kinda makes sense. Why would you keep shoveling money into an old, dated ride that everyone complained about being noisy and broke down a lot, when you could be better rolling that money into a new experience that costs less to run? As much as I ended up liking TOT it's time had come unfortunately.

15 minutes ago, TimmyG said:

Is there any reason other than Dreamworld being Dreamworld that they couldn’t have bought Intamin in to retrofit the ride for the next generation?

I wouldn't say their current version is even in the same class as TOT, it just looks smaller, slower, and boring (to me)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, franky said:

I wouldn't say their current version is even in the same class as TOT, it just looks smaller, slower, and boring (to me)

I’ve been on turbo track (from that vid) in Ferrari World, and honestly it feels faster and taller than what it looks like on video. The fact you can actually choose what way you face is really awesome. Now, they could of course make a completely vertical spike with a faster and snappier launch if Dreamworld so pleased. We know what Intamin is capable of, and that custom attractions are a specialty of theirs in order to fit many different parks of different sizes (take custom impulse coasters like Taron or Velocicoaster for example). I still don’t think they would do something like this though, at least not for a while as Steel Taipan needs the spot light.

Edited by Gtmichaels