Tower of Terror 2 closing

Just heard from a reliable source (maintenance worker that very recently left) that Tower of Terror is most likely going to close because it can't be repaired anymore. 

- We know it's down for maintenance over the duration of the summer holidays which is extremely alarming.

- The ride has recently been going down more than usual meaning it is running very inconsistantly.

- They denied a refurbishement which the SFMM version received.

- The TOT 2 store has been holding a 40 percent off sale for at least 4 months now indicating they are looking to sell all remaining TOT merchandise.

My guess is that they are holding off on it's inevitable closing so that they can make the announcement of a new ride to soften the blow. Hopefully this doesn't happen as it's just going to make it harder for Dreamworld to be seen as making steps to win back guests. They need to replace it with something equally as ground breaking as TOT was at it's launch if anyone from the GP is going to be satisfied by this.

*This is still a rumour at this point and anything could happen, but it does seem more likely than ever.

• Like 3

Parkz has been saying for a while that it's not got long left. It looks a lot to me like it's being nursed through so they can make the inevitable closing date as far off as they can.

I've said it before, announce the date it's going to close so peiple can visit and have their last rides, and announce that on closing day plans for the future will be announced. Announce new coaster, point out that new coaster has a feature which renders tot2 obsolete, and start building hype for the future.

• Like 5

Well it's looking as if the writing is on the wall. Well it has been that way for a while so I can't really say I'm surprised.

The best way DW can handle this is by announcing a closing date in advance and give the guests the opportunity to get their last rides in. Especially for a ride as iconic as TOT, its the least they could do. Then announce that new flashy coaster they have been planning in the same time frame to distract the guests from TOT's closure. I recall saying at one point TOT's closure could be a PR disaster waiting to happen. Here's hoping DW pulls their socks up and doesn't screw it up.

I wonder what might happen to GD as a result of this. Would they be able to rip down TOT while keeping the DW tower standing for GD to operate? Or maybe they'll close that too (*stares in Falcon's Fury conversion*)

Edited by Baconjack

I must make comment and say that over the past few times I have visited Dreamworld over the course of the last week, I have noticed no closures or delays of the ride which is extremely unusual for this attraction, in fact, I did not notice a single delay on any ride, whereas almost every visit there will be multiple delays across the board. Hell, I remember this attraction being closed more than it was open during 2017 and 2018.

On recent visits, TOT store has still been completely full of merch, with no customers, despite the sale being on. Most of the merch is extremely old, Big 9 thrill ride cups and shirts featuring Wipeout, etc etc.

Dreamworld has by far had one of their most flawless years in terms of maintenance in 2019, and I applaud them for that. Rides have been swiftly delt with, with no extended maintenance on thrill rides.

I would like to see them reducing open hours even further on TOT to suck out it's last juice until the next big ride. Even 11-2pm, it doesn't bother me. 

I guess this could be the last maintenance period for TOT and WWF ;(

• Like 2

All the big 9 shirts are extra large so they are trying to sell the remaining stock. The normal tower of terror hats have sold out and haven't been restocked but the bucket hat varriant is still avaliable so that probably why not many people are purchasing.

Edited by Gold Coast Amusement Force

10 hours ago, Baconjack said:

I wonder what might happen to GD as a result of this. Would they be able to rip down TOT while keeping the DW tower standing for GD to operate? Or maybe they'll close that too (*stares in Falcon's Fury conversion*)

Ideally, to combat the removal of Wipeout and ToT, they should announce a rollercoaster and announce a conversion of GD, starting 6 months or so after the Rollercoaster opens.

22 hours ago, joz said:

Parkz has been saying for a while that it's not got long left. It looks a lot to me like it's being nursed through so they can make the inevitable closing date as far off as they can.

I've said it before, announce the date it's going to close so peiple can visit and have their last rides, and announce that on closing day plans for the future will be announced. Announce new coaster, point out that new coaster has a feature which renders tot2 obsolete, and start building hype for the future.

My hope is that they learnt this with Wipeout and this is the plan moving forward for Tower of Terror and any other rides that are closing in the near future.

IF TOT were to be removed, how would you go about the continued operation of (what I'm assuming) is a perfectly operating giant drop? Is it as simple as removing the station and track (including that on the side of the tower) or are they a two for one package and can't operate without each other?

• Like 1

They are separate. GD was installed years after the tower of terror but was apart of the initial concept . One would assume during deconstruction of the tower track that the drop would need to be closed. At the very least for a change in signage on the pole . Or does the giant drop just get renamed the tower of terror !

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, zacsta_1997 said:

Well let’s hope this true and not a social media lie

Personally I hope they are lying through their teeth or inadequately informed. 

If the ride is going to be operating sporadically and even then still unreliable and sub-par, I’d rather it be gone and replaced by something new, exciting and actually rideable 

• Gazza changed the title to Tower of Terror 2 closing