WNW - GC upgrade ideas

Tim Dasco

Likewise with the movie world kids area, there is no doubt that WNW is in need of some love and new slides. So if you had the money (still a realistic amount) what would you add?

In my opinion if they build a modern slide tower complex from proslide with a wall, UFO, bowl and a body slide to replace the MACH 5 complex and a new massive water coaster along the lines of mammoth or wilderbest to go in where the buggy’s used to be. I think that would really transform the park.

Whats your thoughts?

Water coaster is a must imo... but must be different to DWs offering 

I’ll admit I am probably not up to date on the newest additions to the slide scene, but given neither GC water park has added anything for years, there must be some unique offerings out there, and that is important - find out what DW is offering in its new slide tower, and don’t do the same things. 

• Like 1

I'm repeating what I've said quite recently in another thread, but first priority in my opinion is to upgrade the changing rooms. They stink!

Improve the plumbing and ventilation  so they don't stink, and so the floor in the changing room stays dry. It's not hard.  Dreamworld has had much better changing rooms for a long time! 

Other than that, one or two low price but good quality cafes where you can sit in comfort and have an enjoyable meal or snack. 

It may sound like a cliche, but on hot days when you're walking around with bare feet, shade (and yes, seating too) really are needed! 

I have little knowledge of new waterslides that could be added, but I'm sure there are some! 

Edited by pushbutton

They just need something new and do some refurbishments throughout the park.

A new precinct, or expansion of H20 Zone would be good. Replace Mach 5 with a couple new slides and maybe even something to replace WnW Buggy. All of the food and retail is at the front of the park, so open some new ones at the back and provide a more inviting seating spaces. They are mostly just tents, add some character to the area. Resurface some areas and definitely fix the toilets/changing rooms.

Calypso Beach is my favourite part of the park. It's got some character, theme and feels like you are some where else. Take the ideas and design style and spread it through the park. 

• Like 4

Put in an Action/Rapid River similar to Universal's Volcano Bay's TeAwa the Fearless River. Make it a decent length- circumnavigate the park , make it a true destination/people mover  and it would be a huge people soaker and popular attraction. The  Volcano Bay example was the best attraction at Volcano Bay- it was brilliant.

• Like 2

They look like an excellent addition- Australian first too!! My only concern is that they are quite mechanical- I would have some concerns over the inherent reliability of the slide? This is just my thoughts- I do not have any actual data to draw this on. Still I think it would be a standout attraction! Whats the capacity like?

The joint needs a few major attractions. Tornado wave, Tantrum alley would be a good start. Both can have ride photos meaning more cash. Something like a master blaster etc would be great also. Water parks do not get the hourly ridership like the dry parks. Aqua racers come close and that's about it. So queues are always going to occur.

I think surf rider needs to go, however. Sure it's on a small footprint but man it hardly seems to run (i usually visit winter these days and understand its a seasonal ride ). Something like a drop tower could be a good alternative in my eyes. Flow rider should be all year round but with limited hours during winter. Sky coaster, meh this one is hard. If it is not popular then it needs to go. I know crewing these can be a nightmare because they are speciality trained staff.

The H2O zone needs to be revamped or torn down. Have some body slides and chuck in a tower here with two or three main star attractions. It gives people a reason to walk to the back of the park also. Make another small food out to service this area also.

The old WNW Buggy area can be transformed into a newer version of the whirlpool springs area Only utilising the front park, not the part that goes further into the bushland. Removing the older one and simply turn it into a seating area or a small shop to purchase towels, sunscreen etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Gazza said:

@StingRay Im not sure how well a food outlet would do down in the H²O zone given the distance from the lockers....it would have to rely heavily on splash cash sales.

true, add more lockers then to the back of the park. That solves that issue. With a small retail outlet, you allow that to do splash cash deposits and refunds also.

43 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

That's an awesome idea! I reckon it'd be even more exciting if it had some shade as well. 

why not aye.

20 minutes ago, StingRay said:

true, add more lockers then to the back of the park. That solves that issue. With a small retail outlet, you allow that to do splash cash deposits and refunds also.

why not aye.

How does all that effort increase per caps though?

I mean eeewww, I don't want to be stuck with a crap locker miles from the heart of the park.

Water parks have different rules to dry parks and it really does make sense to keep lockers and food centralised,

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gazza said:

How does all that effort increase per caps though?

I mean eeewww, I don't want to be stuck with a crap locker miles from the heart of the park.

Water parks have different rules to dry parks and it really does make sense to keep lockers and food centralised,

Because the back of the park is dead. Not many people venture past the wave pool honestly. You need to encourage people into different sections of the park. Having lockers spread out would not be a bad idea unless you don't like walking around, then you are in the wrong place.

Plus having a few extra lockers would make more money during the peak times. More money spent in any park is never a negative thing. I know lockers and food go like loose items in a locker but I think having them moved away from each other a little will help with the flow of people also. Especially at a water park where people just crowd around the lockers/changeroom area especially at this park.

Just my personal views.

38 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Because the back of the park is dead. Not many people venture past the wave pool honestly. You need to encourage people into different sections of the park. Having lockers spread out would not be a bad idea unless you don't like walking around, then you are in the wrong place.

Plus having a few extra lockers would make more money during the peak times. More money spent in any park is never a negative thing. I know lockers and food go like loose items in a locker but I think having them moved away from each other a little will help with the flow of people also. Especially at a water park where people just crowd around the lockers/changeroom area especially at this park.

Just my personal views.

I reckon you could entice people to that part of the park by having actual rides open, and by having more broad attractions available, not just high thrill.

Dunno, Fast n Fresh operated in the H²O zone and failed, and I don't think its worth inconveniencing guests by making a certain portion of them use an off centre locker location.

On the vast majority of days the front ones will fill first and the back ones will sit dormant.

On the busy days, well you don't need to worry about the H2O zone filling up, because it will anyway 

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Jobe said:

Just put in one of these with some awesome theming- the video does not do the speed of this river justice- its an awesome attraction that would be great for soaking up the crowds!!

Seems like a Lazy River on Steroids! I think it looks like a lot of fun but too similar to what WnW already have.

I think this "not-so Lazy River" would be perfect at WWW - just with some nice landscaping and not the ridiculous enclosures etc that were previously planned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazza said:

Yes, because of the additional belts, filtration, and the precise water injection system that syncs with when rafts are fed in.

I had an Acorn Electron computer in 1987 that was probably just about capable of performing the calculations relevant to that.

It's not beyond the capabilities of todays technology. 

1 hour ago, Skeeta said:

You would never succeed in RollerCoaster Tycoon.  

I don't play that game. Got more important things to do.

12 hours ago, Gazza said:

I reckon you could entice people to that part of the park by having actual rides open, and by having more broad attractions available, not just high thrill.

Dunno, Fast n Fresh operated in the H²O zone and failed, and I don't think its worth inconveniencing guests by making a certain portion of them use an off centre locker location.

Maybe to some the locker idea is not a good one. But a thought never hurt too much. I just think allowing for lockers to be spread out helps the park. Considering they are jammed into a small area.

100% more attractions would move the crowds. Have some decent family raft slides in this area along with a big stand-alone thrill ride and this area wouldn't be as bad.

24 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Maybe to some the locker idea is not a good one. 

Maybe???????   

It's a terrible idea.  You walk in a water park and all you want to do is get your kit off and get into the water.  First opportunity you get you’re going to drop your junk into the first locker you see.  Also being you have more junk in your trunk to unload than you would carry into a theme park you want to lighten your load ASAP.