WNW - GC upgrade ideas

Tim Dasco

32 minutes ago, themagician said:

Maybe the slab is for a new giant screen or projection system?

What, rear projection? 

But I think you're sort of on to something there with access to a screen that raises up (btw is that old screen still sitting there after all these years??). New Speakers would have to be fitted as well as a new projection booth/system.

I used to love all the different themed nights they once did with DiveinMovies. Some included fireworks and MW Character appearances. Relatively cheap to run and boosted both attendance and per cap spending on food etc significantly. 

Edited by MickeyD

10 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

I’d be super happy with the reintroduction of Dive In movies with a post-4pm entry price over summer on movie nights.

negligible capital wise unless the projector needs replacing but they can no doubt source one relatively easily

I'm pretty certain that they ditched the old projector. Now that they've built all the shade structures around the wavepool, they're going to need a new solution.

10 hours ago, themagician said:

Maybe the slab is for a new giant screen or projection system?

Rear projection probably isn't viable. The old screen was made of metal, and you'd need translucent material to rear project which would suffer from winds. A giant screen would be cool, but the existing screen is still there, albeit perhaps a little worse for wear, and if the slab were for a screen, it's a ways back - you wouldn't see it over the pump house for half the pool - wasting a lot of space.

23 hours ago, AlexB said:

image.thumb.png.82a76ccfbe8cc4aa922106bd5c56094e.png

You can see the screen in this pic - its the boxy shape on top of the pumphouse that hangs over the water a little. The screen simply rolls forward, and pivots downwards.

9 hours ago, MickeyD said:

btw is that old screen still sitting there after all these years??). New Speakers would have to be fitted as well as a new projection booth/system.

Yes. See above. I don't think they'd need new speakers - the existing system would probably be ok, unless they really want to plow some money into it. Absolutely a new projection booth \ system is needed - and i doubt rear project is an option as i said above. With all the new cabana things...

...Nevermind. Just had a look at nearmap. There's a really convenient point for them to project from... the zipline tower is probably perfect. I tried to go back in the nearmap timeline and find the old projection booth but couldn't figure out which one it was - i feel like it was off centre though...

image.thumb.png.e72bff098945745912137e7aa1cb06b4.png

Also, as you may be able to see in the two images in this post, the newest nearmap, the screen material has been removed, revealing the bare support frame for the screen - this lends credence to the suggestion movies are coming back, as they've probably removed it to either repaint it, or replace it.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, themagician said:

I’ve had confirmation that dive n movies are returning and there will be a public announcement made soon 

So, MovieWorld gets a $30+ million Hypercoaster... Seaworld gets a wooden coaster, a Huss top spin and a star flyer..

and Wet n Wild gets a projector and a sound system for movies.

1 minute ago, Flynn_Smith said:

So, MovieWorld gets a $30+ million Hypercoaster... Seaworld gets a wooden coaster, a Huss top spin and a star flyer..

and Wet n Wild gets a projector and a sound system for movies.

Before DCR, MW got a little Doomsday filler. The fact that they're doing SOMETHING that requires investment (new projection equipment, and a commitment to opening after normal closing time - staffing, wages...), its a GREAT start. It at least shows that WnW is back on VRTPs radar... and if the movies prove popular, its a point of difference for them over WWW, which may lead to higher visitation, which in turn may lead to reinvestment.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Before DCR, MW got a little Doomsday filler. The fact that they're doing SOMETHING that requires investment (new projection equipment, and a commitment to opening after normal closing time - staffing, wages...), its a GREAT start. It at least shows that WnW is back on VRTPs radar... and if the movies prove popular, its a point of difference for them over WWW, which may lead to higher visitation, which in turn may lead to reinvestment.

Agree it's good to see they're doing something and more great Marketing opportunities for Village.

Without spending millions on a CityWalk style precinct, things like this will keep People on Village Property(s) longer, spending more $$.

I would love to see WnW bring in some food truck style vendors or at least offer expanded F&B options (Polynesian style Luau?) throughout the event.

I would love for Dive in Movies to come back. I'm not disappointed that WNW hasnt really had anything big for a while, mainly because it has so much already for a waterpark. If I had to choose between going to WNW or WWW the choice is always WNW hands down because theres so many more and better attractions, sans a watercoaster, which I think is the logical next slide they need to eventually put in.

1 hour ago, Naazon said:

Is an LED screen out of reach? an LED screen would work well when there is still light around and could even be used during the day for VR ads like Movieworld and sponsorship ads for revenue/offset costs. (During non wave periods)

It's a good idea, no doubt - and would provide numerous sponsorship \ advertisement opportunities - but i'm not too sure if they'd want to go to that expense if they aren't confident of keeping it running.

I've heard rumbling to this effect. Bringing Dive in Movies back included in admission, with rides open after dark for the run of the school holidays (Not one week, not 2 weeks, but from boxing day till the weekend before school goes back. It's not a new slide, but if it happens, to me it would be a massive sign that the Tim & Bob short sighted decision making era is behind us and things are looking up. 

Edited by joz
  • Like 5

That what was removed? The Dive in Movies? Well it wasnt “removed” as such, it was stopped and probably to do with the projector i’d assume and at the time not seeing an adequate return on investment opportunity.

on that subject, there will be no projector as Bikash has confirmed it will be a “HUGE” LED screen 

Edited by Brad2912
  • Like 2

So that explains what the slab is for then

Great to see it is finally making a return and the park will have good extended opening hours. It was a bad idea to ever get rid of them in the first place, so to have them back is a great asset. And good to see they have also invested in some day time entertainment too. I imagine that will be on the Buggy’s area of the park 

For those interested, the film schedule has been released! 

Standard family fare as expected with some blockbusters and couple of “old” classics.

27/12 - Avengers Infinity War

28/12 - Avengers Endgame

29/12 - Captain Marvel

30/12 - Guardians of the Galaxy 

31/12 - Lego Movie 2

1/1 - Aquaman

2/1 - Bumblebee

3/1 - Despicable Me 3

4/1 - Finding Nemo

5/1 - Home Alone

6/1 - Cars

7/1 - Transformers

8/1 - Moana

9/1 - Jurassic Park

10/1 - Aladdin (live action) 

11/1 - Fate of the Furious 

12/1 - The Meg

13/1 - Mary Poppins Returns

14/1 - Incredibles 2

15/1 - The Greatest Showman

16/1 - Shazam!

17/1 - Detective Pikachu

18/1 - Toy Story 4

19/1 - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

• Like 4

Was at wnw today and at the risk of repeating a previously stated 'upgrade', the walkways throughout the park are hot as hell.

Just in the short time frame we were there today I heard three other groups complain about the concrete and how hot it was. Wnw had a few sprinklers directed in areas to try and break it up, but seriously... by 1030 this morning there were already people having to run to get off the burning footpaths. I hate to think how bad it gets later in the day.

Also, has calpyso always only opened at 12? It was such a busy day today and a massive group waiting to get to the lazy river. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

It was 37 degrees today, of course the floor is going to hot - no matter what type of surface you use. 

I don’t get why it’s so hard for people to wear thongs and leave them at the bottom of a slide. 

Very hard actually! I didnt take thongs with me and it appears other gp didnt as well. In this day and age its a lawsuit waiting to happen.