WNW - GC upgrade ideas

Tim Dasco

1 hour ago, aussienetman said:

Very hard actually! I didnt take thongs with me and it appears other gp didnt as well. In this day and age its a lawsuit waiting to happen. 

A lawsuit?? That is the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard on here since Push disappeared!

there is no grounds for a lawsuit if you choose to remove your shoes and then walk on scorching hot concrete. That’s not a liability or safety issue, it’s a stupidity issue. 

99% of people at WnW have thongs, they’re just too lazy to put them on to walk around. Take thongs yourself next time, just like me and my family and countless people did yesterday and you’ll have no problems. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aussienetman said:

All it takes is for a toddler to scurry off onto the concrete when mums back is turned for a second to recieve some pretty serious burns. Wnw obviously aware of the risk with sprinklers spraying  on some of the paths. Definitely a liability issue.

If a toddler scurries off and gets burnt, it’s the parents fault, not WnWs. If my toddler ran off when I wasn’t watching i’d be far more concerned about them drowning than getting burnt feet. 

WnW is aware of paths being hot, they wet some areas as a comfort/nice gesture, it’s not expected or required by them. 

Council doesn’t have to keep paths along the beach cool with sprinklers, everyone knows they are hot, so they wear footwear! It’s the same thing. 

Common sense is not so common these days....

Edited by Brad2912
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 16/11/2019 at 1:42 PM, Brad2912 said:

Safety warning:

its 35 degrees Today and even the AstroTurf is scorching hot. 

Bring thongs....

0777063E-E0C0-433C-AACE-148F64756721.jpeg

To add further to the debate of hot paths,there are several ways to address the issue of hot paths and burning feet. It just takes some recognition by the parks and some simple steps for them to introduce. 2 of the best I have seen in the water parks I have visited are:

Funfields:

image.thumb.png.a0175191431c84e3fb44c565185ca683.png

We all know , like Gazza said, that dragging your thongs or choice of footwear from slide to slide and finding an appropriate place to leave them is , to put it plainly, a pain in the arse. Funfields have come up with an elegant solution that is presented on their major slides which gives riders the option on where the leave not only their footwear but other ancillary items such as hats or even suncream. A great idea which actually encourages people to wear their footwear around the park and its a cheap solution too.

Volcano Bay, Orlando.

Although I couldnt find a pic to show this, the majority of paths of Volcano Bay to their major slides have ground level spriklers and misters that soak the paths in very wide areas. This enables patrons to easily walk between attractions without suffering from the hot burning paths issue on tender feet. These are a great idea but a much more expensive option than the Funfields one , and also one I suspect, wouldnt in all honesty be that popular in water conscious Australia. I did find it amazing though, when I visted the park 2 years ago, how effective this sytem actually worked. 

image.thumb.png.e72e5ca8559c4ddf461e9d04165507e5.png

Of course, as Gazza and MickeyD has already pointed out, the choice of surface for the pathways is certainly critcal in how much heat they absorb. Certain surfaces are designed to not absorb heat and leavs the surface with a much lower temperature than normal concrete paths would allow in those conditions. Of course , they ARE a much more expensive option but they certainly make the overall customer experience far more positive.

In conclusion, there are many solutions to hot paths but you are never ever going to fully eliminate the human condition. There will always be someone who will hot step from ride to ride on hot paths.  As long as the parks take reasonable steps to allow solution to this for patrons, then any talk of lawsuits is , in my mind, overkill and not needed. Common sense needs to prevail and people do need to be accountable for their own actions and decisions.

• Like 1

I did notice shoe storage boxes near the splashdown of River Rapids but didnt see them at any other slide. Have to agree some different slides and a water coaster would be great.

My biggest annoyance with Wet n Wild was the wristband/barcode technology for lockers and ride photos. Having experienced the NFC equivalent at the park formerly known as WNW Sydney I missed it. Was unable to get any slide photos either with the camera either missing us or the scanning failing.

• 4 weeks later...