Steel Taipan Construction - Dreamworld Mack launched roller coaster

Blue Fire Feature   

153 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

The main issue I have with that POV is the GoPro settings weren’t turned off to stop that weird motion that happens when inverted. But I didn’t think it was that bad, much better than Rivals. Rivals was so bounce and the video quality was much lower. If that setting was turned off it would’ve been so much better. It does help capture the speed of the ride and how much fun it will be, but it’s definitely not @Slick quality. Maybe you should just show up Slick with your stuff and ask them?

Edited by themagician
  • Like 3

Horizon leveled POVs are a thing these days (personally I don't mind them because they make the thing look really dynamic)

This sorta seems like it's halfway trying to do that (unintentionally)

FWIW it does show the fast pace of the ride well and doesn't rattle or have annoying clicking sounds from the mounting....so it's alright.

Dunno why people are talking about chest mounts though. People would not be allowed to ride this yet until more testing is done.

Edited by Gazza

16 hours ago, New display name said:

world class rated staple

How can I be so triggered by such few words?

15 hours ago, New display name said:

@JobeThe kids didn't put the frog away after playing with it and I ran over Jeremiah(frog) with my car.  It saddens me so much; I never want to talk about it again.

So sorry you lost such a good friend. Do you need any help drinking the rest of the wine?

9 hours ago, Im Hungry said:

Hope they re-film that... Even the general public will think it's bad.

Pretty much everyone here is still 'general public' but I understand you mean non-enthusiast, and as an enthusiast I disagree. I had heard about the transition weirdness before I watched it, and honestly I expected it to be bad - and I didn't really see an issue. Sure it's weird, but its not bad...

9 hours ago, Slick said:

It’s a great ride, why release a POV that makes the coaster look worse than Rivals?

I’d be down there tomorrow to film a POV if they wanted the help. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Worse than rivals? Sorry - I disagree. That rattly shaky noisy mess was garbage - they'd have been better off waiting until the onboard cameras were active and using them. I appreciate the smoothness that this shot provides, even though the smoothing has occurred in camera, i think it represents a clear, viewable image of the ride experience, and leaves the surprises of motion to when you ride it.

I know, you've perfected POV shoots and have the right rig and method, and you'd be happy to do it for them, but based on what you said on the forums recently, you're not their favourite person so its unlikely they'd ask in any event. (Gonna get off my soapbox because you already know everything else anyway).

I'm happy enough with what we got. It could be better, but it also could have been far worse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TimmyG said:

What’s wrong with the video they have done? 

What’s the difference between an iPhone and a cinema camera? What’s the difference between someone who’s never touched a GoPro before versus an academy award winning director like Steven Spielberg?

The difference in this case might not be that extreme, but when clients hire me, they hire me for my expertise, not my camera. Having the wrong settings on the GoPro has made some of the transitions look really jarring. As a first impression, you want it to be pristine, because especially online, you often don’t get a second chance. I wouldn’t be giving people any reason to doubt how good the ride is or what Dreamworld is capable of. 

35 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Worse than rivals? Sorry - I disagree.

Respectfully agree to disagree.

35 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

but based on what you said on the forums recently, you're not their favourite person so its unlikely they'd ask in any event.

Apple doesn’t pull access from tech reviewers like The Verge, Engadget, MKBHD etc. etc. just because they don’t always write glowing “10/10, amazing, wonderful” reviews. 

Edited by Slick

37 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I know, you've perfected POV shoots and have the right rig and method.

For the spots that the horizon levelling isn’t active (flat, non twisty etc) the vision looks just as good as some of those OurWorld and Theme Park Review POV videos. So ignoring Horizon levelling, The footage is smooth, clear, has decent sound, and is angled just right. If they did this with just a general go pro mount (as was mentioned a few pages back) then all the credit to them, and well done. 

I actually quite like the horizon levelling, and honestly, non hardcore videophiles would be very happy with it, as has been the reaction on social media this morning. 

Edited by TimmyG

12 minutes ago, Slick said:

Apple doesn’t pull access from tech reviewers like The Verge, Engadget, MKBHD etc. etc.

Apparently Dreamworld does (which was my point) - and you made a similar point of mentioning that here recently when Golden Years received a press release \ invite and Parkz \ Ourworlds did not.  

On 24/08/2021 at 9:59 PM, Slick said:

...we almost always share press releases on the site. But Parkz (or OurWorlds for that matter) didn't receive a press release today. When it comes to the forums, we share our opinions not because we hate one park over another but because, like so many, we're passionate about the industry and want to see those in it succeed. 

Amusingly, you used similar words back then to argue the opposite to what you're arguing now.

On 25/08/2021 at 3:24 PM, Slick said:

Independent voices matter. Most industries get this. Apple doesn't pull The Verge's or MKBHD's credentials just because a review wasn't glowing. Sony doesn't ban the Rolling Stones just because an artist's album wasn't received well etc. etc.

This isn't meant to start a shitfight - i'm simply pointing out that two weeks ago you yourself said what you're now disagreeing with me about.

9 minutes ago, TimmyG said:

I actually quite like the horizon levelling, and honestly, non hardcore videophiles would be very happy with it, as has been the reaction on social media this morning. 

I think this sums it up. Much like the conversation yesterday about the ride not being as good as rivals in the public's eye (which was strongly argued against) I don't think the public at large are going to see anything wrong with this as a POV. It could have been done better - enthusiasts, hard core videographers, and those that are both can see what improvements can be made. 

I CBF digging but i'm fairly certain we all shot down the horrible, rattly, jolting Rivals POV, and to date, I don't believe the park has updated it - so its fairly safe to say this is 'fine' and it's probably going to stay.

16 minutes ago, New display name said:

I'm not sure if I'm 100% happy with the cave or if I would have preferred it pitch black?

They don't have to install house lights for evacs if there's natural light.... ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Apparently Dreamworld does (which was my point) - and you made a similar point of mentioning that here recently when Golden Years received a press release \ invite and Parkz \ Ourworlds did not.  

Amusingly, you used similar words back then to argue the opposite to what you're arguing now.

This isn't meant to start a shitfight - i'm simply pointing out that two weeks ago you yourself said what you're now disagreeing with me about.

I think this sums it up. Much like the conversation yesterday about the ride not being as good as rivals in the public's eye (which was strongly argued against) I don't think the public at large are going to see anything wrong with this as a POV. It could have been done better - enthusiasts, hard core videographers, and those that are both can see what improvements can be made. 

I CBF digging but i'm fairly certain we all shot down the horrible, rattly, jolting Rivals POV, and to date, I don't believe the park has updated it - so its fairly safe to say this is 'fine' and it's probably going to stay.

You’ve misread - my opinion hasn’t shifted. I’m not going to alter my opinion just to curry favour. Independent voices matter. They should be respected. Folks here do, and some parks don’t. It is what it is.

Edited by Slick

I don’t care who did or didn’t make it, I think the video makes the ride and the park look bad. 

I have no doubt this will be a good ride presented well. 
But what I see in this video (if I ignore the weird glitches) is a ride that seems awkwardly paced, not that thrilling, and a whole heap of unfinished construction, back of house views, and ugly plant like all the Sky Voyager A/C units. 

I don’t know why you’d want that release instead of waiting till you can have something a bit more polished to present. It’s one of their biggest additions ever and I don’t think that particular video does anything to entice me to go ride it. 

Compared to say their earlier 3D rendered video which made it look awesome. 

just my 2 cents. Zero bias, just an observation. I would have waited. But I also don’t run a theme park so 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

Re-watching the POV now it's available in higher resolutions on In The Loop and it's not as bad as I remember it being when I watched on GCB. There's still some Janky moments but I'd also lean towards it being slightly better than Rivals official POV with even the top comment on that video pointing out how smooth the ride is compared to the POV. Neither of them are spectacular though and I'm just talking about footage quality and watchability here.

Let's hope this is just a first-run POV and they bring out something more for the official launch oopening everything is fully completed.

• Like 2

Ough those POV transitions turn the stomach. Looks a bit like we got a Golden Horse disguised as a Mack 😂

Overall I imagine it will do the job fine for marketing but it's just so disapointing. It's been years and we're still stuck with the head-banger POV for Rivals so I have little hope we'll ever get an improved version here.

6 minutes ago, rappa said:

I have no doubt this will be a good ride presented well. 
But what I see in this video (if I ignore the weird glitches) is a ride that seems awkwardly paced, not that thrilling, and a whole heap of unfinished construction, back of house views, and ugly plant like all the Sky Voyager A/C units. 

I don’t know why you’d want that release instead of waiting till you can have something a bit more polished to present. It’s one of their biggest additions ever and I don’t think that particular video does anything to entice me to go ride it. 

Energylandia did it well with Abyssus? 

Also, I do understand where all parties are coming from in terms of this discussion, but honestly... Not that it means anything to anyone, or would anyone care, but still not a fan...

The horizon levelling is what makes the POV not as good as it potentially could've. For me, it takes the excitement out of the inversions - as for what @Slick wrote earlier, makes it look really jarring.

It's a love-hate relationship... But in all fairness, the positives do outweigh the negatives.

It ticks the boxes for a great pov:

- Smooth (to an extent) ✔️

- Good sound ✔️

- Clear quality ✔️

Edited by Im Hungry

Just now, Slick said:

Independent voices matter. They should be respected. Folks here do, and some parks don’t. It is what it is.

I am yet to figure out what the Australian parks want in terms of media relations. You can be the best of the best in terms of content, size or growth but I feel at the end of the day it doesn't really matter; It's mostly about who you know.  With everything happening I'd love to get involved to really put Aussie parks in the international spotlight but you've got a better chance of finding the pope in the woods than securing a time to sit down and talk to some of our theme parks. Hopefully things change for the better moving forward!

5 minutes ago, rappa said:

I don’t care who did or didn’t make it, I think the video makes the ride and the park look bad. 

Honestly I don't think that this was meant for general consumption. It seems like something that they slapped a GoPro on to record their first ever cycle and it's more for historic purposes. Considering that they've been making an effort with their Steel Taipan series on YouTube I highly doubt that this is their one and only POV. I think as enthusiasts we can sometimes jump the gun in wanting things like this because ever since the first launch everybody was like "NEED POV NOW PL0X", so we end up getting them from third-parties with little polish because they aren't necessarily meant for us. If Dreamworld wanted this to be pushed I'm sure they'd send it out to every man and their dog, but they haven't mentioned it at all and so far we've gotten it from everywhere but Dreamworld.

• Like 4

I understand people want to argue over the camera settings and who should have recorded the POV and crap. It's nice to see a POV tho. 

It's much better than the rivals POV In my opinion. I don't personally undergrad the issue of the camera self-levelling especially if it's on a gimbal. 

I see hear people say the ride is “uninspiring” and “lacking in airtime”. I ain't know how anyone can judge a product without actually testing it, then again I'm not exactly a credit whore either. I'll wait to judge it when I get the chance to ride it. The layout looks great and some of those transitions look awesome. Definitely can't wait to ride this. 

1 hour ago, New display name said:

I'm not sure if I'm 100% happy with the cave or if I would have preferred it pitch black?

cave.thumb.JPG.17f2ba46605552f43bb40b72d18cf750.JPG

✔️

Pitch black would have been nice, but depending on the time of day and weather you might get a dark tunnel. 

• Like 1

Ride looks fun but it's clear they've spent as little as possible on the rock theming elements. 'The cave' definitely didn't deserve its own media release. The fact that they didn't build the mountain facade that was in the original render to cover the Sky Voyager building is a real shame. You spend a good chunk of the ride staring into the AC units.

Edited by GoGoBoy
  • Like 5