Steel Taipan Construction - Dreamworld Mack launched roller coaster

Blue Fire Feature   

153 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

In some ways yes. And idk why but I lowkey preferred seeing it without its track pieces put together - especially with that loop - looks odd seeing it complete for me. 🤔

Oh well, won't take long before the theming takes shape and therefore starts to look harmonious with the rest of that area.

And it'll be nice going on a thrilling non-concussion coaster at Dreamworld for once 😵

• Like 1

I think it looks odd because it’s a real statement and sticks out from a number of locations across the park. You can pretty much see it everywhere now. But that’s probably because what used to be there was very low to the ground. I think once all the theming goes in, then it will start to fit better 

10 hours ago, TimmyG said:

Amazing pics. Is it me, or does this coaster look really out of place in the park?

Don't all Airports have giant orange snakes sticking out of the top of them?

9 hours ago, themagician said:

I think it looks odd because it’s a real statement and sticks out from a number of locations across the park. You can pretty much see it everywhere now. 

*laughs in tower of terror*

10 hours ago, TimmyG said:

Amazing pics. Is it me, or does this coaster look really out of place in the park?

Totally agree! Looks out of place at the moment, but as others have said hoping extensive landscaping and theming may help with that.

Edited by GoGoBoy

3 hours ago, StingRay said:

Also, it's going to look out of place. It's still being built, Westfields next door looked out of place until it was finished also. 

Westfield still looks out of place..

Rivals never looked out of place.

19 minutes ago, Boyden Hingston-Muir said:

Another angle

CEBE780B-5BDA-4376-8CD8-429AF2A1C89F.jpeg

How did you get permission to get on top of The Sky Voyager building to take that? That’s awesome!

Edited by TimmyG

It also doesn't help that Taipan is built on a berm with a giant retaining wall at the back. It pushes out much further than the boundaries for Gold Rush ever did and it's elevated right up to the train line. It will look very out of place until the groundworks and landscaping is complete. Having to circle the whole park just to get to the northern side near GD is a bit of a pain and really adds to taipan looking out of place too.

Edited by Jdude95
  • Like 2

I think it gives them scope for adding another encompassing thrill ride to help it blend into the area in the future though. Rivals only does so well because there is so much already going on at the front of the park with green lantern, superman top hat and batwing being so visible. You can't have your big statement ride tucked away somewhere in the back though, it kind of defeats the purpose of building a stunning new attraction when you don't have a lot of else in the park to back it up. It needs to be a presence seen from within the park or when approaching the entrance. 

Edited by Levithian

Just a random thought about Steel Taipan's trains...

Notice the section of the spinning seat (circled in red). Will that small gap be removed for safety purposes in loading and unloading?

What I mean by that is this:

At the current state of the carriage that holds the spinning seat, the train will have a small gap between the station platform and the carriage itself creating a very minor risk of a rider tripping and/or falling over by getting their foot caught within the said gap. Are there any plans for Dreamworld to eliminate this small gap between the platform because other Mack installations (such as DC Rivals and Helix) don't have gaps between their trains and the platform (they are a snug fit).

I understand that since this is a new feature for Mack trains, I guess there's room for error or just minor details that could be improved where possible.

Image credit:

Steel Taipan: Screenshots off Dreamworld - Remembering the Golden Years video

DC Rivals HyperCoaster: Parkz

Helix: Incrediblecoasters.com

InkedSteel Taipan Spinning Seat_LI.jpg

InkedSteel Taipan Spinning Seat 2_LI.jpg

InkedDC Rivals HyperCoaster Backwards Seat_LI.jpg

Helix Liseberg Station and Train.jpg

49 minutes ago, Im Hungry said:

At the current state of the carriage that holds the spinning seat, the train will have a small gap between the station platform and the carriage itself creating a very minor risk of a rider tripping and/or falling over by getting their foot caught within the said gap. Are there any plans for Dreamworld to eliminate this small gap between the platform because other Mack installations (such as DC Rivals and Helix) don't have gaps between their trains and the platform (they are a snug fit).

I think you'll find that the section you've circled is at the same level as the station, so there's no 'gap' to get caught in, but definitely a trip hazard due to the increased height of the center section of the carriage.

...unless I'm missing something else?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, franky said:

I think you'll find that the section you've circled is at the same level as the station, so there's no 'gap' to get caught in, but definitely a trip hazard due to the increased height of the center section of the carriage.

...unless I'm missing something else?

Spot on mate - there's no gap \ trap here, but the lower siding compared to the checkerplate platform will create a small area lower than the rest. 

I doubt this ride is going far without a thorough risk assessment for every conceivable hazard, and it likely wouldn't take much to fill in that small section to make it the same height as the rest of the flooring.

• Like 1