Steel Taipan Construction - Dreamworld Mack launched roller coaster

Blue Fire Feature   

153 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

15 minutes ago, TimmyG said:

Dreamworld have posted a great video, part 1 of a 5 part series on Steel Taipan.

https://fb.watch/v/1jUNzbgBs/

Production quality is mint, much better than anything they have produced in years. It’s great to see them embracing the ride rather than ignoring it. 

Can I have what you are smoking? The titling and transitions are amateur hour. Greg’s fine (even if they framed him poorly in the shot) although it’s not captivating. Did they make it for the five enthusiasts on Parkz who care about ride procurement and those people who run that bland golden years Facebook group? So misdirected. 

Edited by Retardent

25 minutes ago, Retardent said:

Can I have what you are smoking? The titling and transitions are amateur hour. Greg’s fine (even if they framed him poorly in the shot) although it’s not captivating. Did they make it for the five enthusiasts on Parkz who care about ride procurement and those people who run that bland golden years Facebook group? So misdirected. 

Calm down joe, just because you don’t understand the video doesn’t mean you should blast people. And what’s with the random attacks of the people on parkz and golden years (whatever that is)?

• Like 2

well... I won't gush over it - it's not an astounding piece of production, but the CEO has taken time out of what is imaginably a busy day to shoot a few pieces to camera, and it's been knocked together by someone without the aid of a marketing team or budget. 

It's not the gushing quality described originally but neither is it hot garbage. its a message, and it (somewhat clumsily) achieves it's aim. 

(I had to lol that they used the Blue Fire spinner footage to say ST was just like BF, and then reused the same footage to say the spinner was a world first. The average Joe public is going to go 'wtf?' because they're literally seeing a spinning gondola on blue fire, and they don't explain it was just for testing... (because that isn't the point of this video)

9 hours ago, TomiJ said:

Lols just for argument sake can someone please share a video of better production from Dreamworld. 

3 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

Look up 'Ourworlds' on youtube 

I think he meant a better production BY Dreamworld, not a fansite. For mine, go take a look at the SkyVoyager briefing video. Probably one of the best i've seen done by the park - and not exactly expensive to do either. Jingiri.

1 hour ago, red dragin said:

it's more than was ever done for DC Rivals

You mean about the thing where two senior staff sit out of the front of the ride whilst its still being built using the world's smallest microphone to talk, tease and build up the ride prior to opening? Doing little Q&As about things like the colour of the track and stuff?

Yes, this single video, after the last piece of track has already been placed is really more than Movie World had done at this point in construction...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This video is aimed at the general public, and I think it does a good job at doing just that, informing average joe. 

Don’t get me started on that dreaded Sky Voyager video, I cringe every time I see it. It’s not the worst they have produced but it’s far from the best, and hardly a step up from what was there. Ofcourse everyone is entitled to their own opinion. 

12 minutes ago, TimmyG said:

This video is aimed at the general public, and I think it does a good job at doing just that, informing average joe. 

Don’t get me started on that dreaded Sky Voyager video, I cringe every time I see it. It’s not the worst they have produced but it’s far from the best, and hardly a step up from what was there. Ofcourse everyone is entitled to their own opinion. 

Advice for the haters - push it, push it real good. 

Edited by Slick

27 minutes ago, TomiJ said:

That is what I meant thanks. I'll check out the sky Voyager briefing video. 

I'm not sure if it's currently in use due to covid restrictions - and they may have to change it in the future for a 'covid normal' so we might not actually see it again in park. I'm sure we'd see a copy surface online one day if that were the case though.

28 minutes ago, TimmyG said:

They are entitled to their own opinion, but they should also be willing to elaborate to explain their position and help others understand why they have that opinion.

For example:

• (in your opinion) what better 'in house' produced video have they done?
  • what do you mean - "what was there" - do you mean the original SV briefing video? or the iMAX film?

The video is obviously a very cheeky take on the original Patrick Warburton "Soarin'" brief, and I personally think it hits the right balance between an imitation, a parody, and a piss-take with a little larrikinism thrown in. It is MEANT to be just a tad on the cringe side, and that's what makes it funny. Safety briefings are important parts of amusement rides, just like flying on an aircraft - but you can get a serious message across to more people (and have more of them paying attention) if you make it quirky, amusing, or anything other than boring drawl, or spiels spoken by ride attendants too fast for anyone to actually hear it.

Go check out 'southwest airlines safety briefing' as a search term on Youtube for an idea of how much engagement briefings like this get.

(And off topic - but if Sky Voyager's briefing is akin to Southwest Airlines, then Superman Escape's video is akin to Qantas. Serious. Even if you are a frequent traveller.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

You mean about the thing where two senior staff sit out of the front of the ride whilst its still being built using the world's smallest microphone to talk, tease and build up the ride prior to opening? Doing little Q&As about things like the colour of the track and stuff?

Yes, this single video, after the last piece of track has already been placed is really more than Movie World had done at this point in construction...

Ah yep, my mistake. 

Got the whole "nah, we're not building a new coaster, just ignore that track and all that machinery" confused with the videos (how did I ever forget the world's smallest microphone!) 

I think there's a sweet spot for announcing a new ride, for me it's when vertical construction starts. I don't like this trend of announcing rides 18 months out. ST was also in the ad for DW LAST Christmas Holidays. I'm pretty much bored of ST and (and to a lesser extent) Leviathan before they've even opened.

As for the video, look it's fine. I assume it's aimed at the broader population because let's face it, most people on here kinda know how this ride was selected, and can get behind that reason, and the reason is interesting, but the reason isn't actually mentioned. Why isn't it mentioned? Because it's actually reveals something about how the amusement industry works. Can't have that, so instead you have a bland Corperate nothing which is pretty much all that both companies produce these days. Really that whole section on procurement was 'We think about what the park needs, research rides like that, and then select one'. Great insight there.

What other behind the scenes insights are there? 'It's going to have a spinning car!' Oh so more previously announced marketing points. And a triple launch? That's great I guess, already spoken about that. Again, don't talk about the relationship between mack rides and Europa park, how spinning cars was trailed and never opened to the public and this is the first time in the world it'll be offered. Don't talk about how the original ride doesn't feature the triple launch and that this is actually a plussed version. Nah, whatever you do you mustn't actually reveal anything behind the scenes. It's the same stuff we've seen but repackaged like it's behind the scenes, and the words are coming from the CEO with a few construction shots.

Full disclosure; didn't think there'd be a rant there. The video is fine honestly. I'll probably watch the next few when they come out.

• Like 1