Steel Taipan Construction - Dreamworld Mack launched roller coaster

Blue Fire Feature   

153 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

Just looking at this drawing again, it doesn’t actually look like there is a path that connects from ST to GD. You can see the two foot paths which are currently being laid, but these are access the queue and exit from the station. There are access paths, but I imagine they will be fenced off and are access for staff/maintenance 

5F3271EA-2065-4FAC-992D-7B529F43EFBB.jpeg

8 hours ago, Gazza said:

Why does the path having a snake skin make sense thematically?

When did making sense thematically ever stop the GC parks? it just woulda been cool.

21 hours ago, New display name said:

Concrete stamping is easier than cooking a boiled egg.

I did say 'pull off well'. It can't just look like stamped concrete shapes. A fish scale stamp, for instance, has some resemblance to it, but not authentically so. I'm not sure they could pull off a snake skin stamp as well as i'm imagining it should be.

There's a couple of designs i've seen on google - but over a large area, they'd either look like weird cobblestones or require a colouration that wouldn't lend itself well to resembling a taipan. It doesn't matter anyway because they didn't do it. They should probably take the boiled eggs off the menu too.

10 hours ago, Gazza said:

Why does the path having a snake skin make sense thematically?

Go wash your mouth out with soap.   Thematically should never be mentioned in a discussion when we are talking about DW and nothing I have seen with ST, makes me think DW are trying to be thematically. 

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

They should probably take the boiled eggs off the menu too.

That wouldn't be a smart move.

31 minutes ago, TimmyG said:

Honestly the rides theming is little more than trashed boats and shipping containers.

I'll have to disagree here. There's a good amount of effort that's been put into the theming on Storm. The junk cars, vans and boats really do mix well with the story. Don't forget that the theming in the ride station really helps with atmosphere.

It's better than most of the Dulux Jacuzzi blue that they painted the Vortex area with, to me at least.

Edited by sansborgor
  • Like 5

On 01/08/2020 at 6:54 PM, Retardent said:

783379174_ScreenShot2020-08-01at6_27_39pm.thumb.jpg.edf1ee91eb16f03521b2dce6e4197f73.jpg

This is what the queue line and station looks like. It would appear they are going with a snake skeleton shade structure.

1479859902_ScreenShot2020-08-01at6_27_53pm.thumb.jpg.4a7885d957549c59dec9e05065f6a20a.jpg

Exit Path.

1577733495_ScreenShot2020-08-01at6_41_00pm.thumb.jpg.92a8a73a2fb874efa0f513515ba3aaf4.jpg

There will be 2 tunnels.

1071651081_ScreenShot2020-08-01at6_36_08pm.thumb.jpg.3068db93d263e91b14ce29a31189629a.jpg

This is the modern entrance sign is going next to Sky Voyager in Main Street.

1640903905_ScreenShot2020-08-01at6_35_28pm.thumb.jpg.bda35e2c9f1bf76b51cdb61c059cb557.jpg

499877372_ScreenShot2020-08-01at6_31_31pm.thumb.jpg.f7ece58dbbb593cfc940bbaf299657ff.jpg

A look at the station structure. It looks the same as Rivals or Green Lantern.

984074939_ScreenShot2020-08-01at6_31_04pm.thumb.jpg.ea83eb662cb1503a2e0daafa7d6333c7.jpg

Ramp up to station.

1967469402_ScreenShot2020-08-01at6_29_27pm.thumb.jpg.ce94c0931b925f6ed9af10d56cef2d88.jpg

Hoping there is more to rocky tunnels and external station features for this ride. I'd be disappointed if the only theming we'll see over the course of the ride are the two instances of theming (the rocky tunnel and whatever is happening opposite GD). If the above tenders are anything to go by, I'm excited to see all the queue line theming and attraction signage go to place.

4 hours ago, sansborgor said:

I'll have to disagree here. There's a good amount of effort that's been put into the theming on Storm. The junk cars, vans and boats really do mix well with the story. Don't forget that the theming in the ride station really helps with atmosphere.

It's better than most of the Dulux Jacuzzi blue that they painted the Vortex area with, to me at least.

True, Vortex is worst, but the junked boats, doesn’t take much to go to a junk yard and pick up some trash and litter it everywhere.. inside, ok it’s slightly better but it makes up 5% of the experience. 

Steel Taipan is giving me Jet Rescue vibes, and that’s not a bad thing. 

Give me curated rockwork any day over junked cars and boats. 

Storm is themed, and it's themed well. More than most rides in Australia it does create a sense of 'place'. The problem is it's themed to somewhere that's unpleasant to be. It does feel like being in a port after a disaster has hit, but who wants to visit a port after a disaster has hit?

Most rides in Australia don't really create that feeling of place, it's decoration with a loose theme or a themed style. Steel Taipan and New Atlantis both seem to have that same thing going on. I think 'Story' as a concept is over rated, but when a ride is done well, you feel like you've visiting another place. For bonus points, it should also be a place you want to visit.

Edited by joz
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Because if you step on a snake you get bitten and die, so no one will walk on the path and the ride will never be ridden…. 

👍  Now we know why DW went for the snake floating over your head in the queue and not on the ground where Taipans belong.   

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jdude95 said:

Why would the snake themed ride having a snake skin themed path not make sense thematically? 

Well it's Steel Taipan, not Concrete Taipan. I think if you were just decorating it, it's fine, but if you're themeing it, it makes no sense to have a path that looks like a snake. To have a path look like the Steel Taipan has slithered across it would be theming though. TBH I'm kind of OK with the idea of a path that looks like a snake. It makes no sense, but it's not like it's traditionally themed anyway so who cares? I always imagined Steel Taipan having more of an 'Aussie Outback' meets 'Steampunk' vibe about it rather than 'Abstract snakey things' decoration, but since they've gone that direction, abstract snake path makes sense.

Edited by joz
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, themagician said:

I see it as, taipans are in the desert, the concrete has a desert tone to it, so i think it works very well as is. 

On 25/07/2021 at 8:04 AM, themagician said:

05FDB339-71A1-4E6E-9982-E3B0C5C93860.jpeg

On 07/05/2021 at 12:13 PM, themagician said:

C1DF3AF3-81B0-46C8-98EE-CD851B65EEA5.jpeg

498F94C4-27B0-476A-AFC6-667D0A9594F6.jpeg

On 07/05/2021 at 1:48 PM, Mc coaster said:

47526EE7-0EEA-4CF1-9027-3CC228181358.thumb.jpeg.d6f0f2914835099a623ac3ec51b46929.jpegE50682E5-A52E-46F9-9BAF-8569A7332EF8.thumb.jpeg.c28ae417c16cad98bae036196498300b.jpeg

Inland taipan: up close and personal with the world's most venomous snake

Photo: Elliot Budd from The Australian

Given the images above this Taipan, it seems that DW are a tad close to that 'desert look'. What still throws me off is the orange seat support bracket things... Strange choice of colour. Idk how well it'll work once placed onto the track, but that train is (tbh) a deserted mess. Different colours all over, but in a way, it kinda works. Having mixed feelings over that.

In depth:

The body of the train perfectly achieves the looks of a taipan, with a dirty orange finish over a desert green, scaled-like skin. The seat on the other hand... well, the black seat is fine, so too are the dark green arms. The orange support beneath the seat throw me around a little, like maybe dark green would've been fine there instead? The silver gold wings add a little shine to the snake's body, so in a way, that's fine too.

The rock theming - what better way to bring the desert to Dreamworld than by using rocks! The tunnel will be a major hit for me when passing through, and same for the second installation on exit from the mcbr, but if they are the only pieces of rocky theming, then I'll be slightly let down. Just hope it doesn't turn into a waste of space like Rival's grass and drainage gravel.

The footpaths, let it be the colour it is present in the first image, or give it the appearance of dried mud... That's scaley enough. Don't forget, the tenders showed we could be seeing painted supports and columns, an instagram photo spot (expecting something snake-like, but who's to believe we'll actually see that happen), a snake-bodied station building, ramp and exit path, a rusted disembodied entrance sign between fairies and airport terminal, and even the snake's skeleton riders will queue under so it (depending on who you're asking) achieves immersing the guest into bringing them to outback Australia.

Edited by Im Hungry